Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: 2009 Molina Ghost Run - Hollister Hills, CA

This year, the Cal4WDC Molina Ghost Run event was held at Hollister Hills State Vehicle Recreation Area. It was the first time I had been to Hollister Hills, and although it is only 250 miles from my usual wheeling areas near Los Angeles, the environment is completely different. First of all, the hills are the wrong color; they're [COLOR="DarkGreen"]GREEN[/COLOR] instead of [COLOR="Olive"]BROWN[/COLOR] like the hills around Southern California:

There were about 100 registered participants at this event, so the organizers set up three groups. The first group took the difficult route, the second group took the moderate route, and the third group took the easy route. Since I don't have lockers, I was relegated to the second group. Todd Ockert (Navy-Jeepster) was the run leader for the second group. We could see the first group on a hill ahead of us:

Todd led us on a very challenging route to include the Rock Quarry playground:

He also led us through "the Jungle":

After eating lunch on the trail, we finished the run at the Hollister Hills 4x4 obstacle course, where I offered to take a picture of Todd going through the mud pit, but he declined:

I did get a few pictures of some of the other rigs at the obstacle course:

Unlike the SVRAs in Southern California (Hungry Valley, Ocotillo Wells and Rowher), Hollister Hills has separate areas reserved for 4x4 and for Quads/motorcycles so we didn't have to constantly dodge kids on quads and motorcycles. The group camp has nice facilities including showers. I had a great time at Hollister Hills and I look forward to returning.
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

That looks like a great place Russ. Thanks for sharing.
    Check out .

Comment

Russ,

Thanks for the report. That "green" color is really different!

Mitch

Comment

Yep, not used to those shades of green!

Thanx for the report and pics Russ!! Glad you had a great time!

Comment

Russ, it was great seeing you again and sharing camp with you. Sorry we couldn't stay till you got back from town on Sunday, restless natives wanting to get out. Even though we had some carnage on my son's jeep it was overall a fun day on the trail.

This too was my first time here wheeling and I really liked the way it was layed out with something for every level of driver and obstacle coarses to play on. We'll be planning another trip here soon.

Oh Yeah the mud pit, lots of fun, but the mud was like concrete after drying.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Russ . . . Looks like I'll have to take a trip up there. Are there plenty of trails up there where you could spend a couple of days wheeling? It's just too far for a day trip, but seems like it would be a great place to go for a long weekend.
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
            X