Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Jacoby Canyon / Rattlesnake Canyon

This morning we met at the Valero Station in Lucerne for a run up Jacoby Canyon, across 2N02 to Rattlesnake Canyon. Our group was Roger and LeAnn, Steve (Roger's son),Scott (avjeepfreek), Crash, and great88. The weather was perfect with bright sunny skies and warm temps. We aired down at Jacoby Canyon (2N47) and headed up the trail towards Lucky Baldwin Mine. The trail was very clean and in good condition. We stopped on the way to 2N02 and hiked to the old Doble Cemetery. What a beautiful area. Next we drove east on 2N02 to Rattlesnake Canyon. We saw a bunch of mines and interesting things along the way. We stopped and had lunch on the way. Roger and Scott grilled hot dogs and heated chili for us. LeAnn served fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Next we headed north (Downhill) on Rattlesnake Canyon to Vaughn Springs. The old cabins and buildings in the area are getting destroyed and torn up at an alarming rate. Heading the opposite direction and the winter rains really gave Rattlesnake a different look. Some rocky areas were almost pure sand, and some previous sandy areas were rocky. This is like my 7th run there and I still spot a new mine or trail or something that I missed before. We played on the extra credit stuff, staying within the 60 foot Wilderness easement. We hit on of the last rock garden spots and after Crash and I tried the hardest line, Crash tried it in reverse (backing up!). Well some of you know that sound....A loud metal snapping/breaking sound...very distinctive sound. Crash grenaded the front passenger outer axle stub and u-joint. Since Crash had a car (Jeep) trailer at home, he limped slowly towards Hwy 247 at 5 miles an hour. I aired up and took Crash home to get his truck and trailer while Roger, LeAnn, and Scott stayed with the Cherokee. All and all an outstanding day! Nobody hurt, 1 small breakage, and ready to do it again.

Thank you guys, a wonderful time.

Mitch

Heading up Hwy 18

Jacoby Canyon

Doble Cemetery

Vaughn Springs

Rattlesnake Canyon
    Steve

Scott

Roger

Crash

Mitch

Crash breaking the poor Jeep!

Heading towards Hwy 247
    Last edited by Mitch; 04-17-09, 08:23 PM.

What a nice day to be out and about. The U-joint part sucks but stay positive! Things happen. Great Pics

See you Soon Mitch :wink:

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

I really want to do this trail. It looks like you had a great day. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Mitch, great report and pics.

........lucky dude! Wish I could get out as much as you!

Comment

Nice report Mitch. You'll have to show me where that cemetery is.
          Check out .

Comment

A few more pic's

Roger the grill master!

"I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Grilling hot dogs & canned chili does not make one a "Grill Master" - I must humbley bow to Mr. Bash for that title.

But I will say hot dogs & chili never tasted better!

Just in case anyone is wondering, we obeyed the rules:
              Had a valid permit
              Liquid fuel grill
              Set up in a clearing that was down to mineral soil.
              Had shovel & water nearby....
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
              X