Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Gold Mountain Big Bear

Well we just got back from driving over Gold Mountain. We went from the 18 over to Holcomb. It seemed much more difficult this year that last. In the past, my wife has made it without lockers, but this year she could not make one part of the trial. I had to pull her up with a strap, and that was not after some effort. It is becoming far more challenging, and it is a great trail. To add to the drama there were strong winds, hail, and heavy clouds blowing the whole way up. I attached a picture of us at the rock garden. What a blast.

Here are some shots from last year which seemed much easier.

http://spanks4thememory.smugmug.com/...4_Et6J7#P-8-15
    Attached Files

Giles,
    Great photos! Beautiful family and those Huskies...those are some cool looking dogs!
    Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by tony m View Post
      Giles,
      Great photos! Beautiful family and those Huskies...those are some cool looking dogs!
      Thanks for sharing!
      Yepp, nice pic of the rock garden,.. looking forward to going over it on the 25th... I hope the weather will be better than it was for you....M
      "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by tony m View Post
        Giles,
        Thanks for sharing!
        X2 Thanks
        Dennis and Tammy
        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Thanks for your kind comments. We really had a blast on the mountain. I wonder if any one else has done that run recently, and if so did they find it more challenging?

Comment

Nice pictures! I really miss Gold Mountain. The last time I was there was in June of 2008 with Barney.

Gotta get up there soon! Big Bear weather is approaching!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Giles,

Thanks for sharing the pictures. The pictures of the Metzger Mine look cool. I must check this out before it gets closed or destroyed.

Mitch

Comment

Gilez, Is the area acros Talus Slope? I ran Gold Mountain and John Bull in 2006 with two other TJ's and none of us had lockers and we were able to finish. I had 31's on the TJ. Just curious how something like this area can change. I recall it's just a layer of rocks. I can still hear the sound of the rocks crunching under my tires.
                2004 TJ X
                Callsign: KJ6DHG

Comment

I was just up on GM the other day and YES it has become more challenging than last year.

Still no John Bull but more difficult none the less!

Comment

Changing Trails

Originally posted by ironbelle View Post
                    Gilez, Is the area acros Talus Slope? I ran Gold Mountain and John Bull in 2006 with two other TJ's and none of us had lockers and we were able to finish. I had 31's on the TJ. Just curious how something like this area can change. I recall it's just a layer of rocks. I can still hear the sound of the rocks crunching under my tires.
                    The first time I ran Gold Mountain I was also driving a TJ with no lockers and 31's. It was relatively easy. My Jeep is locked front and back, but my wife's is not. She could not get up that one hard part at the start of the trail... I am not sure what its called. You can either go up the vertical or around the chewed up area. We did the chewed up area (hope this makes sense). My Jeep made it with relatively easily with the lockers, but my wife was slipping due to lack of lockers. So the trail due to weather, water, and erosion has changed quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
                      Nice pictures! I really miss Gold Mountain. The last time I was there was in June of 2008 with Barney.

Gotta get up there soon! Big Bear weather is approaching!
                      Shant, no kidding, it's that time again already...time is flying too fast!

Yep, gotta get up there again!....and then the BULL..

Comment

barney1 is almost back together itching for a BB run , might be ready for some weekday fun friday 4/24 , sure miss BB

Comment

Steve, weekday fun on a friday? Hmmmm..... I might have to drive to the mountains. Never did Gold mountain, John Bull was a piece of cake!

Mitch

Comment

cool mitch .....i'll keep you posted if i can make it happen

Comment

Working...
                            X