Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a shame that we have to be politically correct where ever we go in our lifes, but I definitely agree that we have to take a couple of minutes to consider what we post here since there are folks on the other side of our equation that like to use these posts to their advantage. PM's and E mails are better suited for sharing of thoughts and venting

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
      It is a shame that we have to be politically correct where ever we go in our lifes, but I definitely agree that we have to take a couple of minutes to consider what we post here since there are folks on the other side of our equation that like to use these posts to their advantage. PM's and E mails are better suited for sharing of thoughts and venting
      Not a bad Idea! Considering what the issue is!

Comment

We saw this one last week out in Lancaster while hunting for wild flowers.

Jeff

Comment

I generally don't mind rattlesnakes, and will leave them alone if I find them on the trail, but if they come into camp, I'll kill them every time, and I won't feel bad about it. I know how to stay away from them, but with little kids and dogs in camp, it just isn't that snake's day if he comes into camp. Sorry if that sounds rough, but I'm going to protect my family, and if a snake has to die, then that's how it goes down.

I don't go looking for them, but sometimes they do come into camp, and they do get taken care of.
          '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Jeff:

That guy looks pissed! He is saying keep out of my area.

Pete:

I agree with you. If the Greens are near your camp...... It would suck to hear that someones dog was killed or a loved one. No second chance with a Mojave Green. Both Nero and Hemo toxins
            is a deadly combo. I don't understand Hybrid cars, but Hybrid snakes SUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
              Jeff:

That guy looks pissed! He is saying keep out of my area.

Pete:

I agree with you. If the Greens are near your camp...... It would suck to hear that someones dog was killed or a loved one. No second chance with a Mojave Green. Both Nero and Hemo toxins
              is a deadly combo. I don't understand Hybrid cars, but Hybrid snakes SUCK!
              If a rattler is sitting on his tail and not rattling, he's not pissed. That pose is so he can get his pits located to see what's going on out in front of him.

I agree that if a snake is threatening people in a camp or whatever, and you don't feel you can safely move the snake, then killing it may be an only option. But it is so easy to find a tent pole, long stick or something to pick the snake up and move it away from the camp. I will be happy to teach anyone of you how to safely move snakes if you're so inclined. I grew up with rattlers and have handled them my entire life, and I hate to see them recklessly killed. Any snake for that matter. They're not that bad if you just watch them and then move along. They were there first.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

This is why I only bring a short leash for Turbo when I'm out wheelin' and I don't let him off of it. Growing up we had Western Diamondbacks all over, on the front porch, roof, my German Shepard even killed on right in front of the sliding glass door. We used to release King Snakes in our yard to keep the rattlesnake numbers down. I'll usually let them be after getting a good look at them, which usually includes getting them nice and pissed at me and letting them put on a good show! The street was our boundary . . . if they were still in the brush, we'd leave them alone, but if they crossed the street into the residential area and you've got yourself a cool decoration for your hat!!!
                That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by RallyeX View Post
                  That's a sweet picture. He is awesome.
                  Check out .

Comment

It,s funny how things in life change, when I grew up in Pa. I handled snakes all the time, now when I see snakes on the trail,s I,ve got too much respect/fear really to approach them. I think the time I was swimming in a creek in the woods after a heavy rain in a area the beavers had damed up, a buddy said Hey Geeb a big stick floatin your way..well it was a water snake about 3and1/2 foot long scared the Ba-Jesus out of me!! LOL...
                    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Nice long handle shovel

Personally, I found a nice long handle shovel works best when dealing with snakes in camp. When my twin brother shot my heel off shooting at a rattler under my trailer, he was on one side, and I was on the other, and I stuffed his 45 up his, you get the point. Most people get excited and just start blasting away, they think their John Rambo, I grew up with John Wayne. With a shovel you can remove said snake, or if need be, chop his head off, and then you can bury it. Hard to bury with a 45. I like snakes, and guns. They both can serve a purpose.However, a 45 traveling at 920 fps, once it leaves the barrel, when in a camp, is very hard to control. A shovel is alot safer. Just my 2 cents worth, Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                        Personally, I found a nice long handle shovel works best when dealing with snakes in camp. When my twin brother shot my heel off shooting at a rattler under my trailer, he was on one side, and I was on the other, and I stuffed his 45 up his, you get the point. Most people get excited and just start blasting away, they think their John Rambo, I grew up with John Wayne. With a shovel you can remove said snake, or if need be, chop his head off, and then you can bury it. Hard to bury with a 45. I like snakes, and guns. They both can serve a purpose.However, a 45 traveling at 920 fps, once it leaves the barrel, when in a camp, is very hard to control. A shovel is alot safer. Just my 2 cents worth, Kevin.

Good point Kevin!!! I remember as a kid hearing my neighbor beating on our door yelling "I need a gun" one morning. . . turns out he went out to get the paper and his hose was laying across the front porch . . . when he went to move the hose, he quickly realized that it wasn't his hose!!! We gave him a pellet gun fearing that he'd kill himself or somebody else as worked up as he was!
                        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                        X