Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Devils Loop / Stoddard Wells

I answered the call from John (hot rod oil) and went to Stoddard Wells today for a run on the "Devil's Loop". This is a trail that was set up by Quinn (All J Products) for a previous Moderate run by a desert club for their annual run. I was running late and when I turned onto Hwy 247 from Lucerne I saw 3 TJ's and a XJ quickly pulling up behind me. I recognized Quinn as the front Jeep and they followed me to Slash X and the morning meeting spot. I have met Quinn as well as John (hotrodoil) from previous runs. We aired down at Slash X and did the introductions. If I rembember correctly 3 KJ's(2 on steroids), A XJ, 3 TJ's and the great88 YJ. Quinn led us north west from Slash X to the trailhead. This trail was an awesome mix of narrow washes, rocks, hillclimbs, steep decents, and everything else thrown in. We had a few strap spots, and a few spotting areas, but in general everyone was having a great time with this trail. We took a lunch stop at a hill top locationthat had a great view. "Penny" the Chocolate Lab helped with any leftovers! When we hit Stoddard Wells Road again, I split off to head home and finish some chores and get ready for the Easter family thing. John can fill in the details after I left. this was the first time running with the folks from Lost Jeeps and they are great! I think the guys and girls from Big Bear were with the Bear Valley 4x4's. Great people and hopefully a bunch of new friends!

Thanks everyone.

I can't remember names worth a Sh*T / Sorry

Slash X meeting spot

The Devils Loop trail

Kelly and her daughter did great!

The home sprayed Durabak KJ was interesting

Some videos off my cheesy camera

Last edited by Mitch; 04-11-09, 10:41 PM.

I remember Devil's Loop from my first Hi Desert Round Up and it has to be one of my favorite cruising trails. A couple of nice extra credit stuff along the way.
    Glad you had a good time.

Comment

Jason,

As I burn brain cells tonight I forgot the great trip description that Quinn was giving as we drove. The trail was set up for the Hi Desert Round Up! Thanks

Mitch
      Last edited by Mitch; 04-11-09, 10:41 PM.

Comment

once again.. my over packed weekend with "honey doo's" and trying to figure out the funny noise my XJ is making.. has caused me to miss ANOTHER of Mitch's great trail rides.. All this moving and work I have been doin has seriously been dippin in my required jeepin time..

DAMN YOU!!!!
        [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
        PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Thanks Mitch for being there and starting the report thread. (btw, You forget our early run we did together a while back huh?)

Here are some more pics.
          The Jeep line up

Hill climbs a plenty, one of many:

Sliding into rocks and resulting carnage:

good as new? that'l buff out.

Kelly loving the rocks

Getting some pointers from Quinn

After finishing up DL we headed for some trails that can lead to Achey Breakey but we passed on that trail this time. Some great hill climbs including cresting the top of a steep hill w/ only blue sky and clouds to look at, we continued down to run Costly Canyon, a short stretch of harder up canyon terrain w/ good size rocks. Lacking many pics of that stretch as we had too much fun staying moving and everyone that tried it cruised through w/ no trouble.

IN Costly Cyn: nice bypas for this stretch where bypassers can watch from above.

Comment

On the way down from up high, Slash X in the distance.

Check this sequence, what happened?

I dub thee "Taillight Rock!"

Rest of the trip was all downhill and then running through desert back to Slash X to air up, say our goodbyes and hit the road. (stupid asphalt!)
            So as to not end w/ damage pics though, here is some of the flora & fauna enjoyed by all:

We even spotted this miniature dinosaur hiding in the brush.

One Horny Toad lizard!

Thanks again Mitch for being there. Great group, great wheeling. This is what it is all about!

Comment

John,

Lots of cool pictures. Sorry I missed that last section. Looks like it bumped things up a notch. And our first time? Rattlesnake over a year ago? Plus seeing your group out there a few months ago. We need a couple of trail markers like the ones on the Bullfrog Trail.

Mitch

Comment

Looks like a fun run.

Anyone track it with a GPS?

Comment

Originally posted by karstic View Post
                  Looks like a fun run.

Anyone track it with a GPS?
                  Someday I will learn how to use a gps better....and get a better one that will actually hook to my dang computer.
                  Got This though:
                  http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...53809&t=h&z=13

Just loaded a bunch of markers onto google since it was better than nothing and I couldn't find any other info before.

Comment

Working...
                  X