Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: John Bull needs a bit of work

Just found this on another forum, looks like John Bull needs a bit of help with a chain saw and some winching to get it open completely. Snow is mostly gone so as far as Holcomb goes we can start working on that trail again

Here is the link to the writeup

http://www.oausa.net/forums/viewtopi...006ed30#p11647

Double secret single track on the way to John Bull:

[COLOR="Sienna"] Double secret single track on the way to John Bull: SOUNDS LIKE ILLEGAL. Can we get a translation before I unload with both barrels?

Also, do you know if Greg was made aware of this tree? He can contact the club that adopted the trail and get it fixed up quick and in a jiffy. I think a local club adopted that trail. "Big Bear something-or-others" IIRC.[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
      [COLOR=sienna] Double secret single track on the way to John Bull: SOUNDS LIKE ILLEGAL. Can we get a translation before I unload with both barrels?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=sienna]Also, do you know if Greg was made aware of this tree? He can contact the club that adopted the trail and get it fixed up quick and in a jiffy. I think a local club adopted that trail. "Big Bear something-or-others" IIRC.[/COLOR]
      John Bull is taken care of by the WayWeGos. I'll let Critter know.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
        [COLOR="Sienna"] Double secret single track on the way to John Bull: SOUNDS LIKE ILLEGAL. Can we get a translation before I unload with both barrels?

Also, do you know if Greg was made aware of this tree? He can contact the club that adopted the trail and get it fixed up quick and in a jiffy. I think a local club adopted that trail. "Big Bear something-or-others" IIRC.[/COLOR]
        Sounds like you know the translation. FIRE AWAY!

They should know better than that,then to go posting online and where are the moderators?
        Last edited by ediot; 04-06-09, 07:57 PM.
        How many little drips are in a quart?

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
          Just found this on another forum, looks like John Bull needs a bit of help with a chain saw and some winching to get it open completely. Snow is mostly gone so as far as Holcomb goes we can start working on that trail again

Here is the link to the writeup

http://www.oausa.net/forums/viewtopi...006ed30#p11647
          What is the status of Holcomb? Is it reopened from the fires. I'm in for helping!
          How many little drips are in a quart?

Comment

I'll look at the situation on Saturday, as I'll be writing the RMP for both sections of the trail (SoCalBroncos has the adoption from 3N02 to 3N32, Waywegoes has the trail from 3N32 to 3N43). All the photos are pretty much on the west (Waywegoes) side.

If anyone is a member of the Outdoor Adventures forum, I need to contact "traveltoad" and address his questions on page 2 - please PM me the info. If not, I'll register on the site.
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Let me re-engage here before I go ballistic on someone that doesn't need it.

"traveltoad" on the outdoor adventures board is troubled about the post being referenced (so it would appear) as illegal actions.

My first reaction is "damn skippy, you ought to be", but after thinking about it as a person and not as a Marine; I don't think those guys & gals ever intended on riding illegally. It shows clearly to me that many riders, even organized ones, still don't know the rules of the forest.

It would seem that the group simply thought that even though the trail is not marked in any way, they could travel on it legally. And it still isn't determined if the trail is actually not legal at all. I assumed it wasn't legal by the verbiage "Double Secret".

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG: If a trail is not listed, marked, coded, mapped, etc. by the forest service, it's illegal right? It's my understanding that the forest service has marked all legal trails in the forest. If it's not marked, it's not legal is the general rule, or so I've been lead to believe. And cross country travel, creating your own trails, etc. is illegal in all forms.

I'm glad Jeff is involved with this now. He has much more tact and knowledge about this than I do; and can probably explain any errors the group may have made, without damaging the fragile 4x4/two-wheeler relationship.

So, on that note, I'm out of this situation and trust that the proper people are on the case. Simple education will probably fix all of this. Art, I'm sorry if I stirred up a hornet's nest with all of this. I know you were just trying to get JB fixed up for future runs.[/COLOR]

Originally posted by ediot View Post
              What is the status of Holcomb? Is it reopened from the fires. I'm in for helping!
              [COLOR="Sienna"]Holcomb is NOT open for public use yet. There are still burnt/dead trees that need to be felled and other safety issues that need to be addressed before Holcomb can be re-opened. That final decision is up to the forest service obviously. MJR has been working tirelessly since we adopted the trail last year to get it re-opened. We logged over 1,000 man hours of work on 3n93 last year.
              Remember also, that 3n17 must be re-opened in order to access the trailhead, so more groups than just ours are working to get that area of the forest re-opened to public use.[/COLOR]
              Last edited by USMC 0369; 04-07-09, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                If anyone is a member of the Outdoor Adventures forum, I need to contact "traveltoad" and address his questions on page 2 - please PM me the info. If not, I'll register on the site.
                They seem open to discussion. I suggest you register and reply/quote traveltoad with your concerns for all their forum to learn from.

The only single track I can think of is 2W01 leaving Devil's Hole. The nearest 50" trails would be Cactus Flats. Neither would be considered "close" to John Bull and neither look anything like the photo.
                Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I'm in the process of calling him right now
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

Grrrr. Put the Bulldog on it.

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Jeff,

My blood pressure is sneaking up again. I just read his latest post:

[COLOR="Black"]
                      Re: Big Bikes tame the Bull
                      by traveltoad on Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:06 am

I should add...

I am very interested to know a better way to have handled the tree situation (or to find out that I did an ok job). While I am am a long time dual sport motorcyclist, [COLOR="Red"]this new bike is allowing me to get further off the beaten track. Things like this will happen more often now...[/COLOR] I want to be able to tell the story and post the photos knowing that I have handled the situation in the best possible way.[/COLOR]
                      Please, he needs to understand that getting "off the beaten track" is the problem.[/COLOR]
                      Last edited by USMC 0369; 04-07-09, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Just spent a very pleasant 20 minutes on the phone with him. No need for anyone's blood pressure to be elevated - he's on the right path. "Off the beaten path" can have many meanings - he's not looking to cut trails.

As an example - in the SBNF, none of you are allowed to be "off roaders" - as we don't allow off road travel. We do allow "off highway" travel - but I'd bet 99% of you wouldn't make that distinction in a post
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY

Comment

Just spent a very pleasant 20 minutes on the phone with him. No need for anyone's blood pressure to be elevated - he's on the right path. "Off the beaten path" can have many meanings - he's not looking to cut trails.

As an example - in the SBNF, none of you are allowed to be "off roaders" - as we don't allow off road travel. We do allow "off highway" travel - but I'd bet 99% of you wouldn't make that distinction in a post
                          [COLOR="Sienna"]See this is why I let the professionals handle delicate situations. I'm more of a bull in a china shop. Awesome, now I can like them again. [/COLOR]

Comment

Posted my response. Can I go home now? Or will someone please remove all these pesky passengers from my airport so I can get some work done?
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

Actually I am starting to more and more. For me it has to do with public perception of OHV use. I'm just driving on something that was already there.

Comment

Working...
                              X