Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Death Valley

Just got back from Death Valley but I'm not sure I can post here. I'll try a couple of pictures and if I'm allowed I'll do a more complete report.
    One night at Beatty NV

Titus Canyon
    Gregg Turk
    West Oak Hills
    greggturk.com
    95 Jeep Cherokee, 69 Jeep CJ5

I guess I can post!

More Titus Canyon

Rhyolite Jail

These trails were mostly easy but we did a few that were a hard 3.
    Last edited by tgregg; 04-05-09, 03:08 PM.
    Gregg Turk
    West Oak Hills
    greggturk.com

Comment

More DV

We spent the first night at Panamint Springs but wouldn't recommend it, overpriced and not very nice.

Darwin Falls, spring stocked with goldfish out in the middle of the desert.

Heading back to 190
      Gregg Turk
      West Oak Hills
      greggturk.com

Comment

Very cool Gregg.Thanks for the pics.
        Dennis
        Dennis and Tammy
        Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Gregg,

Thanks for the cool pictures. I need to get out there for some of the easy stuff (NON SHELF ROAD). How long did it take you to get there from Oak Hills? I might just sneek out there one day soon.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
            Gregg,

Thanks for the cool pictures. I need to get out there for some of the easy stuff (NON SHELF ROAD). How long did it take you to get there from Oak Hills? I might just sneek out there one day soon.

Mitch
            I drove straight home from Stovepipe Wells which is up toward the Northern part of DV. I left at 6AM and got home a little before 11AM stopping for a bite to eat in Baker. A nice drive early on a weekday morning. Going up I met the other guys at Pearsonville on 395 and we explored from there on. I think the hot set up is to go to Beatty NV (250 miles) where we got nice rooms for $45 per night and use that as a base. Stovepipe Wells is really nice but $135 per night when all I need is a shower and bed is pretty steep. Pannamint was really crumby for $95 per night. I'm good to go back anytime but my next big adventure will be the Mojave Road I'm thinking! Just looking for some others who want to do "The Road".
            Gregg Turk
            West Oak Hills
            greggturk.com

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
              Gregg,

Mitch
              Mitch, let me know when you want to go, i'm up for the road trip.

Clay

Comment

Gregg:
                Great report and nice pics. I love Death valley and the surrounding area. There are so many trails there that it would take a month to explore them all.

Mitch:
                If you go to DV without inviting me after all the times that I have invited you to tag along, I am going to hunt you down and urinate on your tires!

Joking!

But I would like to go with you if you get the itch and I can get free!
                [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Gregg:
                  Thanks for the info! I'm the same on this, bed and a shower works for me.

Mike:
                  Where have you been hiding? You would be bored with the stuff I want to do there, but with the threat of tire urination I'll let you know. For me, the hotel as a base and a couple of days mid-week is what I'm thinking. Still unemployed.

Clay:
                  I'll call you before I set something up.

Mitch

Comment

Great photos and a nice report! I also love the Death Valley Area.

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
                    Mitch, let me know when you want to go, i'm up for the road trip.

Clay
                    Mitch - ditto for me!
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Nice pics. Death Valley is one of my favorite scenic trips. Aguereberry Point is a great spot to be at sunset. Thanks for sharing.

Mitch, x2 on Mikes comments.
                      Check out .

Comment

Gregg, looks like you had a nice trip.
                        Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                          Gregg, looks like you had a nice trip.
                          Hi Rich, Yes the weather was absolutely perfect. There seemed to be a lot of explorable trails out from Beatty that we didn't do and I'm looking forward to doing that another time.
                          Right now I'm researching the Mojave Road hoping I can fit a weekday (monday - Thursday) trip in before the weather gets too warm. The XJ is a really good choice for this kind of run. Lots of room for "stuff" and room to sleep in out of the elements if needed. Do you recommend doing the "Road" West to East or the way you did it, East to West? The DV trip was the first Jeep trip I've done that was all driving the Jeep and moteling it along the way. In the past I've always trailered the Jeep and used the motorhome as a base. Doing point to point rather than loops really allowed us to cover a lot of trails with little doubling back. Jeff and I proved very compatible as to speed and trail toughness (I think Dave was just being nice and went slow with our laggard!). I found the speed issue more important that I'd anticipated. Going really slow beat me to death as the XJ is set up for pre running race routes and is really too stiff for slow speeds. Also after so many years racing I get bored easily, I'm trying to get over that and actually did pretty well until the last day.
                          Gregg
                          Gregg Turk
                          West Oak Hills
                          greggturk.com

Comment

Nice report and pics Gregg...thanks for sharing!

Comment

I will do the Mojave Road if we can arrange a good date.

Comment

Working...
                              X