Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Burro Schmidt/Bickel Camp/Sheep Spring

Scott (dezertdog) and I set up a small group to run a sightseeing tour around the El Paso Mountains. We left the Victorville area after breakfast this morning with Scott (dezertdog) and friend Kurt, Kevin (1 Bad F N Z) and wife Chris, and myself (great88) and headed north on Hwy 395 to Garlock. The drive was actually shorter than expected and we were at Garlock by 8:15am. At Garlock we met up with John (Calico Kid), Wayne (in a 88YJ) and their friend Joey (Off road prepped Lexus SUV).

John led us on this trip due to the fact that he goes out here a couple times a month. First stop was at a series of mining claims that John holds. We drove up an old mining trail to a couple of mine tunnels and a nice secluded area to explore. A beautiful canyon spot with lots of wild flowers and lots of old stuff to check out. Next we headed up Mesquite Canyon to an Adopt-A-Cabin on top of Garlock Peak. "Walsh Cabin" has an awesome view above the Fremont Valley floor and Koehn Dry Lake. Salt was once harvested from the dry lake after rains and evaporation.

Next we went to the historical "Burro Schmidt Tunnel" and camp area. We checked out the 2000' hard rock mine tunnel and watched the parade of off-roader quads and motorcycles visiting the area. Next john led us to the "Bickel Camp". Bickel Camp is named after Walter Bickel and is a living museum. The onsite host Mark gave us the complete tour of tons of equipment that Walter Bickel used during his years of mining the area and we also had a tour of the cabin that Mr Bickel lived in and is left in 100 original condition. After our special tour we lft for Gerbract Camp, Colorado Camp, and then to Sheep Spring. The views and colors are just amazing. Just north of Sheep Spring we found some of the scattered Petroglyphs in the area. We continued north to Brown Road and back to Hwy 395 to air up and head home. The trails that we took today were EP100, EP15, and EP26. Thank you to John, Wayne, Joey, Scoot, Kurt, Kevin, and Chris. What a wonderful day! 15 hours after heading out I got back to Hesperia. A very cool way to spend my birthday. Thanks all.....

Mitch

Meeting in Garlock

John's claims

Walsh Cabin

Kevin and Wayne flexing at Walsh Cabin

I finally broke down and put the hardtop on for the road trip

Burro Schimdt Tunnel and Cabin

Bickel Camp and museum

Remains of Colorado Camp

Trail to Sheep Spring

Sheep Spring and Petroglyphs

Last edited by Mitch; 03-14-09, 09:56 PM.

Sweet pictures Mitch looks like you all had a fun day
    Definitely a good way to celebrate the big 50
    On to the next 50

Comment

Here's some video

Thanks Maxwell for the Birthday Music Mix CD!

Mitch

Garlock mine claim

Walsh Cabin

Bickel Camp
      Last edited by Mitch; 03-14-09, 10:37 PM.

Comment

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

wow.. i missed out.. but.. my little girl comes first... but i did get a chance to install my new currie steering.. hehehe
          [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
          PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Tombraider, Leadfoot, Nipple Twister,

Missed you guys today. We'll be going back in a few weeks! So much to see here, plus need to do Last Chance Canyon.

Mitch

Comment

Very cool, Mitch!
              :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Great report!

Hey Mitch,
                Great report as always.
                Thanks for doing most of the work putting this together while I was in Portland.
                And your Jeep looks just as good with the top on!
                It was a lot of fun.
                Let me know when you want to go back. If I can make it... I definately will.

Thanx again,
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                  Tombraider, Leadfoot, Nipple Twister,

Missed you guys today. We'll be going back in a few weeks! So much to see here, plus need to do Last Chance Canyon.

Mitch
                  yeah need to get a plan together. but for that far, need to camp a few days....with the cooler
                  Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Glad you had fun and enjoyed the tunes!
                    Best, Max7
                    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Mitch, sooner or later you are going to do Pleasant Canyon....thats all there is to it. You are being pulled closer to it....it is your future, your "calling" So when?

Comment

"See the trail.....Be the trail" Do not be the big yellow head under the chair, looking around in fear....we will do this together, and have the time of our lives!

Comment

Mitch-

I was up there today (Garlock, Goler Wash, Jo'Burg and Randsburg)............sure wish I could have run with you guys yesterday. You visited a number of my favorite places.............amazing how close it is to where you live.

As for Last Chance Canyon......you are right, you must run it. I would love to go with you when you go.

Awesome trip..........wish I had been there.
                          Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Mitch
                            Thanks again for a great report and pic's.Your really fill'n the old wish book up
                            Dennis
                            Dennis and Tammy
                            Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Brian,

Give me a call and lets set up something in a few weeks. There are a bunch of mines that I want to check out and I want to go back and talk to Mark at Bickle Camp. I only day I have booked is April 12th, doing Bagdad/Chase, Stedman, Ragtown. Let me know.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                              X