Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: King of the Hammers as a spectator

Checked out the King of the Hammers race today. A great day for racing with 68' temps and calm breeze. Thousands showed up for this event and the camp areas were slammed! I watched for a while at check point 7 at the bottom of Sledge Hammer trail. After a hour I left to explore a couple of mines just east of this location. But I soon realized that this race utilized all of the Hammer trails including Fissure Mtn. So after bumping into Nick (USMC0369) and Blaine, I stayed there and watched some more of the race. The area that I wanted to explore was also in the race area so I'll go back on Sunday to finish without the race traffic. A great day in the desert!

***I want to post this before the other pictures. I've seen this before and it could have been tragic! A Jeeper with kids that were not belted in, wanted to show off and tried to do some "donuts" or a "power-slide". This just doesn't work with aggressive tires and a short wheel base vehicle! They rolled after a short slide and luckily only bumps, bruises, and a bloodly nose (broken) on the driver. The kids were scared and were hit with non-straped coolers, food, water, and each other. Please be careful and watch for others doing this.

Notice the slide......Roll!

OK, back to the Hammers.....
    Johnson Valley Dunes

RAV 4?

Wanna Be!

Harrier Jump Jet / USAGCC Twentynine Palms / Over the Hammers!

Last edited by Mitch; 02-27-09, 09:26 PM.

Thats USMC Mitch! And dont forget it!
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
      Thats USMC Mitch! And dont forget it!
      Semper fi,Got ta love em
      Dennis
      Last edited by GP4Play; 02-28-09, 01:19 AM.
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Cool pics and write up as always, Mitch! Wow . . . talk about lucky . . . dead kids might have cast a bit of a dark cloud over the event. I even strap Turbo in his car seat when I'm out wheelin . . . can't imagine having a child and not doing the same.
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

so did anyone get pics of the car-bq near aftershock????????????
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Schmo,

I was expecting the worst when I got there. I saw it happen up ahead and it looked ugly. Nothing was straped down, coolers, a tool box, kids, camp stuff. One kid said he would walk back to camp!

Josh,

Didn't see a "car-b-que" I was around the other side of the mountain.

Comment

yeah thats just plain stupid.

I couldnt bring my kids with me cuz I act like a dumbass. If I brought my truck would be a different story.

This is the reason I wanna build a single seat buggy.

I heard on the race radio. car on fire. both drivers out. was on pirate last night and he said they have no video of it-from the live feed chat
              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Great report Mitch. I drove the Sububan out to JV so didn't do much wheelin. I spent most of the time on Sledgehammer - this proved to be a hot-spot.
                MK
                Link to slideshow.[/COLOR]

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

[COLOR="Red"]A few lead-ins[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]The winner - Jason Sherer[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Shannon Campbells famous pass on Sledgehammer - he uses the downed vehicle for traction.[/COLOR]

Comment

I believe the rancho truck was. dunno fer sure

some nice pics there man. Looks like you were in a good spot

so who is gonna build a 2010 koh car? stu?????
                  Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

You know..........the Hammers used to be Jeep trails! Really hard Jeep trails, but trails built with the idea that Jeeps could run them.
                    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Brian,

Hey you know that if you get stuck I'll strap you through. Like you told me, It's a Jeep, just drive it. LMAO!

Mitch

Comment

Glad I have friends that are willing to help..........oh wait a minute, did you say that you would strap me through without taking any pictures or posting anything on the internet?
                        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

LOL, this looks like a line some of you guys would take:

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

these trails are TORN up now. I just got back tonight.

We actually ran Outerlimits today and drove my freggin Jeep home tonight! Talk about a bad a$$ vehicle. Takes me through some crazy trails and 4 hours back to SD.

I ran sledge on wed. and made it up the waterfall all the guys were rolling over on. The trail is so dug out now its pretty darn tough.

had a great time. trying to upload pics tonight.
                            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

cant wait for pics man.

we were gonna run sledge but there were 25 people ahead of us in traffic. so we came back to jack watched a recovery then back to camp
                              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...
                              X