Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: King of the Hammers

Hey All... I made it out for the Thursday activities of King of the Hammers... I wish I could have made it out today too...

[CENTER]

Thursday stuff was calm, qualifying, showing off, meeting people, buying t-shirts & stickers, etc.

I didn't take my CJ7 out there... a bit too far to drive... I will say one thing... That Johnson Valley sand will make a clean truck look dirty in a hurry!

View down on the group...

Some guys tooling around and taking pictures of their rides...

I've fallen and I can't get up.... Oh, I mean, this is a great angle to photo the Jeep from...

Parking was pretty tight out there...

Some of the Buggies that were making the Friday AM run...

It was very cool seeing all the rides... and Did you see all the Jeeps out there?!?! If anyone made it out to King of the Hammers on Friday, please post up your pictures![/CENTER]
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

no pics. I got there around 3 on thursday. I lost my camera. shit happens. so no pics.

I enjoyed it though. I wish more vendors were there selling stuff.

I stayed at back door today watching it all day. I think only about 25 vehicles went thru. I left around 3 or so.

Last night was windy as anything.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
      . I left around 3 or so.

Last night was windy as anything.
      Welcome to the DESERT.
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

[COLOR="Blue"]Great report Mitch. I drove the Sububan out to JV so didn't do much wheelin. I spent most of the time on Sledgehammer - this proved to be a hot-spot.
        MK
        Link to slideshow.[/COLOR]

http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/n...view=slideshow

[COLOR="Red"]A few lead-ins[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]The winner - Jason Sherer[/COLOR]

[COLOR="red"]Shannon Campbells famous pass on Sledgehammer - he uses the downed vehicle for traction.[/COLOR]

Comment

To Cool.Thanks alot,Randy and Mike, for your reports and pics.Looked like a great time out there.
          Last edited by GP4Play; 02-28-09, 08:27 PM.
          Dennis and Tammy
          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

KOH 09 Last Chance Qualifier Featuring Jessi Combs

My friend Doug competed, here is his message:

For non-SCAT:
            Kevin and I participated in the LCQ (Last Chance Qualifier) for the KOH (King of the Hammers). It is one of the hardest offroad races in the world (difficulty, not distance...). We were up against 30 rock buggies (we were 1 of 4 full size rigs). So, the odds were against us.....
            The LCQ was about 3 miles of desert plus the famous backdoor obstacle. This is what the link below is of.
            We finished just short of the cut-off for the race. Our time was 9:40 and the last entry into the race was 7:58. The official race can be seen here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/koh09/
            The official race was Friday, the following day. There were ~90 rigs that started, ~20% actually finished.
            We had a great time, and we don't think we could have done it much faster if we tried. We'll come back next year with a more competitive rig. Thanks for all who came out to support us and help us along the way!!!!
            Douglas Williams

Here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4RQ7...layer_embedded
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Minor correction, there were 92 rigs and at least 35 of them finished in the allotted time before the check points closed down.
              I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
                My friend Doug competed, here is his message:

For non-SCAT:
                Kevin and I participated in the LCQ (Last Chance Qualifier) for the KOH (King of the Hammers). It is one of the hardest offroad races in the world (difficulty, not distance...). We were up against 30 rock buggies (we were 1 of 4 full size rigs). So, the odds were against us.....
                The LCQ was about 3 miles of desert plus the famous backdoor obstacle. This is what the link below is of.
                We finished just short of the cut-off for the race. Our time was 9:40 and the last entry into the race was 7:58. The official race can be seen here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/koh09/
                The official race was Friday, the following day. There were ~90 rigs that started, ~20% actually finished.
                We had a great time, and we don't think we could have done it much faster if we tried. We'll come back next year with a more competitive rig. Thanks for all who came out to support us and help us along the way!!!!
                Douglas Williams

Here is the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4RQ7...layer_embedded
                here are some pics of Kevin rig doin' its thing.

went wheeling with Kevin on Sat. his rig broke pretty badly. he is probably lucky he didnt qualify as the break would have had catastrophic results at speed.

his ram/trac-bar mount ripped off of the frame.
                took some doin' to get him welded up and back off of the trail.

it was some hood times out there.
                >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]I gotta tell you, this was my first KOH and I loved it. I expect this race will become a benchmark in offroad motorsports. No other race I can think of is more demanding on driver and rig.

Now I wonder, could some of the big name sponsors seen out there this year pitch in and help save the area for recreational use?[/COLOR]
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
                    [COLOR="Sienna"]I gotta tell you, this was my first KOH and I loved it. I expect this race will become a benchmark in offroad motorsports. No other race I can think of is more demanding on driver and rig.

Now I wonder, could some of the big name sponsors seen out there this year pitch in and help save the area for recreational use?[/COLOR]
                    thats a good point! I dont remember any fojv or anything like that out this weekend. like a booth. but it was a circus out there.

these big names and money people behind JV would make a difference.
                    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post

you would certainly think they have a vested interest in doing so.
                      if Johnson Valley goes away, much of their business model would be on its ear.
                      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]If FOJV or another organized group to save the area had the $$ that was thrown away in busted parts or shredded tires... I'm pretty sure we could get a lawyer to help out.

By "thrown away" I mean the cost of competing in this race. It's brutal on rigs, and it seems LOTS of parts didn't make it to the end of the race in tact.[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Sweet pictures!

Comment

Awesome PICS!!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                              here are some pics of Kevin rig doin' its thing.

went wheeling with Kevin on Sat. his rig broke pretty badly. he is probably lucky he didnt qualify as the break would have had catastrophic results at speed.

his ram/trac-bar mount ripped off of the frame.
                              took some doin' to get him welded up and back off of the trail.

it was some hood times out there.
                              Erik,
                              Could you email full versions of these so I can forward them to him? Much Thanks-
                              Best, Max7
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X