Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Forest Aid Planting Dates

[COLOR="Sienna"]Several MJR members have received Supervisor Training for the Forest Aid event underway in the San Bernardino National Forest (SBNF). But that is only the beginning!!

Currently, there are ten weekends planned for actual planting of the seedlings. I will list these dates and PLEASE gang...we really need to help out on this. The dates may change as the planting season either shrinks or expands. The seedlings cannot be planted after the ground has become too dry. Forest Aid is really trying hard to 'front load' the planting to ensure as many plants as possible get into the ground properly before the planting season ends. The forest we all know, love, and use, needs our help to recover.

What you can do to help:
    Sign up for a day of planting. MJR has worked a deal with Forest Aid supervisors to be able to work as a group. Or if you prefer you can be put into another group.

The linked dates below will take you to a sign-up sheet. PLEASE ANNOTATE IF YOU ARE SUPERVISOR TRAINED.
    *NOTE* Sign-ups close 5 days prior to the event in order to allow Forest Aid to plan and arrange logistics.

SATURDAY, MARCH 7TH
    SUNDAY, MARCH 8TH

SATURDAY, MARCH 14TH
    SUNDAY, MARCH 15TH

SATURDAY, MARCH 21ST
    SUNDAY, MARCH 22ND

SATURDAY, MARCH 28TH (IDTT, BE THERE OR SARAH WILL FIND YOU!)
    SUNDAY, MARCH 29TH

SATURDAY, APRIL 4TH
    SUNDAY, APRIL 5TH

SATURDAY, APRIL 11TH
    SUNDAY, APRIL 12TH

SATURDAY, APRIL 18TH
    SUNDAY, APRIL 19TH

SATURDAY, APRIL 25TH
    SUNDAY, APRIL 26TH

SATURDAY, MAY 2ND
    SUNDAY, MAY 3RD

SATURDAY, MAY 9TH[/COLOR]
    Last edited by USMC 0369; 02-22-09, 08:58 PM.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

USMC 0369,
    My son and I attended the Supervisor training session yesterday with David. I am new to the area, but I found the information on the reforestation training here on MJR... I hear nothing but great things about the MJR crew and I look forward to hooking up for a ride after we get these trees planted!

See you on the mountain.

Andrew

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]That's awesome! I'm glad to hear MJR proved to be a source for giving back to the forest for you.

No better group of people on the trails, or the internet, than MJR.

Look forward to seeing you on the 7th then?[/COLOR]

Comment

Nick,

I've been trying to contact David Tankersley regarding working during the weekdays which would be best for me. I have not heard back from him yet.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
          Nick,

I've been trying to contact David Tankersley regarding working during the weekdays which would be best for me. I have not heard back from him yet.
          [COLOR="Sienna"]I'll shoot him a note also. (Kurt seems to think I have a great working relationship with David) The seventh seems to be my only day in March I have off work. Except the vacation day I scheduled for the 28th.

I'll get back to you Roger.[/COLOR]
          Last edited by USMC 0369; 03-03-09, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Nick,

I am working on making a calendar for all supervisors, so that they know what days we are planting during the week. For the month of March I know that we have the US Forest Service planting on Wednesday March 18th and [COLOR="Red"]REI staff (the bad people) [/COLOR]planting on Friday March 20th. We also have some schools about to sign up soon, I will try and get that out to everyone as soon as possible.

[COLOR="Sienna"]I've highlighted the bad people. But it seems they don't have a solid schedule for week-day events yet. I recall David saying that week-day events are "volunteer groups" and weekends are "volunteer events". Meaning, I assume, that it's open to random people to help with planting.

Does this answer the question Roger? I'll re-attack if you need more.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
              [COLOR=sienna]I'll shoot him a note also. (Kurt seems to think I have a great working relationship with David) [/COLOR][COLOR=sienna].[/COLOR]
              Nooooooo, What I said was "I think David has a thing for you"... Get it straight Nick!
              David if you read this thread, it's only a joke...
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Say What?!? Geeze Rat, I can't believe you wrote that!

Nick, It would be interesting supervising REI. I could wait until the end of the day and let'em have it!! If it warmed up and I was able to take off my jacket to expose my MJR tee-shirt it would be a Kodak moment!
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]After I thought about it for a moment, I thought that would be an awesome "in your face" moment. To have OHV users supervising the REI staff in a reforestation project. [/COLOR]

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  Say What?!? Geeze Rat, I can't believe you wrote that!

Nick, It would be interesting supervising REI. I could wait until the end of the day and let'em have it!! If it warmed up and I was able to take off my jacket to expose my MJR tee-shirt it would be a Kodak moment!

Comment

I am dying to understand the history behind this underlying REI tension...

Is the weather going to be warm enough to plant on Saturday?

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by HoitRubicon View Post
                      I am dying to understand the history behind this underlying REI tension...

Is the weather going to be warm enough to plant on Saturday?

Andrew
                      [COLOR="Sienna"]
                      See: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/about/index.php

The "Public Service Announcement", bottom of the page. Long story short, REI gives millions each year to organizations trying to make outdoor areas off limits to OHV. They have cool gear, but I'll stick with Coleman.[/COLOR]

Comment

Today Doug, Nick, Kurt, Ryan, Cathy, Alycia, and I attended the first tree planting session. This was great day up in the mountains.
                        Coming up the mountain.

We meet at the Lake Arrowhead Elementary School at 7:45 am. After everyone showed up we made our way to the planting site for a debriefing then we headed to Rim of the World High School to meet the volunteers.

Nick, Alycia, and I ended up with the Key Club from an high school in Fontana.
                        Nick teaching the kids.

Our group ended up planting about 90 trees.

Nick hard at work.

Slave driver.

Found this guy wondering around lost.

Busted.

Nick showing his support for REI.

This was the group that Nick, Alycia, and I had.

MJR Representing.

The rest of my pics.
                        http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ing/?start=all

I noticed no one has signed up on Nick's roll calls and I just wanted to clarify that you do not have to be a Supervisor.

The volunteers from Tree People I believe were very surprised to see off roaders volunteering to help with this effort. This is a chance to show them that there are off roaders that do care and are not just irresponsible idiots trashing the forest.

I think each of us can handle one 5 hour day supporting this. It was actually pretty fun.
                        Check out .

Comment

This is a really good event and I'm proud to be part of it. It was suprising to see the diversity of people that showed up, and really suprising to see how hard everyone worked. No slackin going on here (except for me) :thumbs_up
                          Met some really cool people, found out that we can stand toe to toe with surfers, REI'ers, students, teachers and just about anyone else you can imagine and all see eye to eye on a single topic. I heard, more than once, what a suprise it was to see all the off roaders turn out to help. Having said that, we need more. Come on everyone, I keep reading threads herre on MJR about how much we all care. Come put your money where your keyboards are. It's a good day in the mountains with a bunch of friends and afterward, a trail run or a visit to the Cantina. Come on up! Check the threads for the next dates and times. And thanks in advance.
                          Kurt
                          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

My son and I supervised a Latino Leadership group from Cal State San Bernardino today. It was a GREAT experience... they worked their butts off.

I was hoping to hook up with you guys (the MJR crew) on Saturday, but David (from Tree People) was short on supervisors for Sunday's session.

Still hope to hook up with you guys soon.

The Long Arm kit is sitting in the garage waiting for me to tear into the TJ.

Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by HoitRubicon View Post
                              My son and I supervised a Latino Leadership group from Cal State San Bernardino today. It was a GREAT experience... they worked their butts off.

I was hoping to hook up with you guys (the MJR crew) on Saturday, but David (from Tree People) was short on supervisors for Sunday's session.

Still hope to hook up with you guys soon.

The Long Arm kit is sitting in the garage waiting for me to tear into the TJ.

Andrew
                              [COLOR="Sienna"]Drew!
                              That's awesome. Yea, it would have been nice to have you and your son out there with the MJR crew, but being flexible and helping out where needed shows the offroad communities dedication to the forest. We will meet up some day soon, I'm sure of it.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X