Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Supervisors Training for Forest Aid, an effort to reforest burned areas of SBNF

[COLOR="Sienna"]In keeping with MJR's longstanding efforst of good forest stewardship, there is an opportunity for everyone to give back to the forest trails on we all love, not just the Adopt-a-Trail group.

This may seem short fused...but it's no longer just an Adopt-a-Trail function. Anyone can sign up for the training to help reforest the burned areas of the San Bernardino Nat'l Forest!!

Please! Come out to help bring the mountain and forest we love back to life!

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]http://www.forestaid.net/[/COLOR]

Sign up for either the 21st or the 22nd supervisor's class on Forest Aid's Website, then on the [COLOR="darkorange"]MJR Calendar[/COLOR] to let us know which day you're going!

Also, you may sign up for any dates you have available to volunteer for actual tree planting on the Forest Aid website.

THANK YOU!!![/COLOR]
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Nick,

Thanks for posting this. This is something I'd like to be involved in. I signed up for the Supervisor's class on Sunday the 22nd.

Just to make sure I got it right, I sent an email through the website you posted indicating I wanted to volunteer as a supervisor and gave them all my contact information.

Did I do it right?

Do you know where the training class will be held?

Thanks,

Roger
    Last edited by Roger; 02-14-09, 01:10 PM.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Just sent an e-mail requesting more info.
      "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
        Nick,

Thanks for posting this. This is something I'd like to be involved in. I signed up for the Supervisor's class on Sunday the 22nd.

Just to make sure I got it right, I sent an email through the website you posted indicating I wanted to volunteer as a supervisor and gave them all my contact information.

Did I do it right?

Do you know where the training class will be held?

Thanks,

Roger
        Yes Roger you did it right. Have not heard where they're moving it to yet. Once your registered David will keep you informed. As will we.Thanks for signing up.
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
          Yes Roger you did it right. Have not heard where they're moving it to yet. Once your registered David will keep you informed. As will we.Thanks for signing up.
          Thanks Rat,

When I was 19 I spent a few weeks planting trees in the forest near Eugene Oregon. I guess that makes me an expert!

I think the planting tool as called a "ho-dad" and I remember we carried BIG bags full of trees.
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

All signed up for Sundays, come on MJR lets rock, Kevin.

Comment

very nice.
              i printed it and sent to school with my daughter for her leadership class.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Supervisor's Class Location

[COLOR="Sienna"]I got an email back for the Supervisor's Class going on the 22nd of February. The following was provided. Class is filling up fast gang...let's fill those seats![/COLOR]

Here are the people that I have signed up for the 21st, and it will fill up soon because about ten members of the Urban Youth Conservation Corps are signing up in the next couple days:

Tanya Perry, Suzanne Reading, Shane Davis, Russ Chung, Paige Van Riper, Michael Perry, John Cederberg, Jeremy Mercer, JC Warner, DelGabriella Rocco, Dennis O'Brien, Alex Rueda

Here is the roster for the Feb 22nd training:

Kurt Kauffman, david lucero, chuck mcinnish, Tim Bagerly, nicholas clark,

These are all the individuals that are currently signed up for the Reforestation Supervisor training, I know that Kurt and Nicholas are part of your group, but I am not sure who else on this list might be. [COLOR="red"]If anyone wants to sign up have them contact me with their name, phone number, e-mail, mailing address and what date they would like to attend. We still have several openings for the Feb. 22nd training.[/COLOR]

The training is being moved off the mountain due to snow coverage and frozen soil. We will be moving the training to the Lytle Creek Ranger Station, which is about 20 minutes outside of San Bernardino at the base of the mountains. I can e-mail directions if you need. I hope I covered all your questions, let me know if you need anymore clarification.

David Tankersley
                Regional Manager - San Bernardino Mountains
                TreePeople
                (714) 928-1914 phone
                [COLOR="Sienna"]I didn't get a TIME for the 22nd's training, but I'll get on that right away. If you don't see your name on the roster for the 21st or the 22nd... PLEASE get with David and ensure you get put on the list.[/COLOR]
                [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I just checked my email and I received a post from David Tankersley with the USFS.

He has me signed up for the Sunday Class. It starts at 9:00 AM at the Lytle Creek Station.
                  Last edited by Roger; 02-16-09, 10:17 PM. Reason: Updated information from the USFS
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                    I just checked my email and I received a post from David Tankersley with the USFS.

He has me signed up for the Sunday Class. It starts at 9:00 AM at the Lytle Creek Station.
                    Got the same one. See you there.
                    Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                      Got the same one. See you there.
                      Cool! Hopefully the weather will cooperate!
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

I'll be in Lytle Creek on Sunday 2-22 for the training.
                        Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Cool Doug,

We seem to have a pretty good number of members doing this! It seems like MJR keeps geting better and better every day!

I have about 270 hrs of annual leave built up and the HR Dept. will soon be banging on my desk telling me I have too many. So this will be a good way to use some up. I am in a position so I can volunteer during the week.
                          MJR moderator
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

NOTICE!!! If you are planning to attend the Supervisors' Training or any of the regular, scheduled planting sessions, wear HARD SOLED BOOTS. Do not wear soft soled sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, etc. The planting tool (Dibble Bar) requires a lot of force. Boots also provide more foot protection in the forest.
                            If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                            KI6MLU

Comment

Nick, Barb and I attended today's Forest Aid Reforestation Supervisor Training conducted by the TreePeople. The training was well organized and informative. About one-third of the time was spent on the safe use of the tools and the planting techniques to maximize the survivability of the seedlings; one-third was spent on the organization of and schedule during a reforestation work day; and one-third on supervisory skills and problem solving.

Each Reforestation Supervisor will lead a small group of about ten volunteers in a designated area. The area will be marked off by yellow tape by the Forest Service prior to the workday. Initially, the reforestation will be done along Rim of the World Highway in the Lake Gregory/Rimforest/Skyforest area. The reforestation will move up the mountain to higher elevations as the snow melts and the ground thaws. Apparently, the Forest Service has decided to use volunteers to reforest easily accessible areas along the major highways, and will hire contractors to reforest remote areas such as the areas around our Adopt-a-trails.

On a reforestation workday, the supervisors will arrive at the meeting point at 7:30 am, receive their assignments, be taken on a quick tour of the designated reforestation area and return to the meeting point. The volunteers will arrive at the meeting point at 8:45 am, sign the insurance/sign-in form, meet up with a supervisor and board a shuttle van that will take them to their designated area. Upon arrival, the supervisor will provide a site orientation and instruction on tool usage and reforestation techniques. Seedlings will be planted 12 to 14 feet apart (total of 222 to 302 trees per acre). The volunteers will plant seedlings until approximately 1:00 pm then board the shuttle van to return to the meeting site.

Workdays are scheduled for ten weekends beginning March 6 and continuing until May 9. Nick and I believe that MJR should try to get as many volunteers as possible to participate in the reforestation effort during the early weeks of the program, even though it is not near our Adopt-a-trails. Once we have earned their confidence in our ability to do the job properly and safely, we can ask the Forest Service if we can borrow the tools and receive some seedlings to plant along our own trails. To ensure that MJR gets proper recognition for the replanting effort, we propose that we setup a roll call for each workday, and then we will e-mail the list of volunteers to the TreePeople the Monday before each workday (we need to give the TreePeople a few days advance notice so they can be sure to have enough tools, seedlings and designated areas for the expected number of volunteers each workday).
                              Last edited by Russ Chung; 02-21-09, 10:35 PM.
                              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                              KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
                              X