Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Bullfrog / Lester Dale Mine

I went out on Sunday with Brian (ECVJeep) and his friend Larry to check out the Lester Dale Mine area, The Silver Reef Mine area, and then over to do Bullfrog Trail. The weather was perfect and not a cloud in the sky. We explored the area and then drove up through the old Partin Limestone Quarry up on the side of the mountain. Awesome views of all of the Johnson Valley. After a couple of hours we drove back to Cougar Buttes and headed over to Bullfrog. We got a 1/4 of the way in and Brian's Jeep (Penny) got sick. He had just installed a brand new steering system and the new pump started leaking around a welded fitting and the base. So with the pump now growling and dripping fluid we needed to get out quick. Well of course there is not an easy way of BF in the middle area so we followed a couple of tracks, made a few of our own, and finally got out. I came so close to doing a front/left roll-over. This got my attention for sure. The back tire was coming up off the ground and I hadn't got the front tire to the bottom of the drop yet! I punched some throttle and slammed things pretty hard but stayed up right. Not a good feeling. So we finally hit the pavement and headed home.

Thanks Brian for the call, I had a great day.

Mitch

Silver Reef Mine

Lester Dale Mining camp

This is at the Partin Limestone Quarry. The face of the rock is 400 feet high, with an earthquake fault running through it. The brown vein should be a straight line. Very cool

Bullfrog

Last edited by Mitch; 02-02-09, 09:19 AM.

Great Pic's Mitch.You seem to have a good selection of cool places to explore.Got to take the Wife out to show its ok if 1 tire leaves the ground,or 2..Got a couple more things to do to the 5 and I'm out there.
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Mitch,
      Great report, looked like the fun lasted until that pump started to leak huh...well at least you were able to get out without a very bad limp.
      Me and a friend had planned a run over a month ago; so we were there last Sat. with the rubi's owners club....just can't get enough of that trail!

Comment

Mitch-

Had a great time. New steering pump is on the way & then we can finish the rest of the trail. Thanks for seeing that I got off the trail and home.

-B
        Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Brian,

Trying to find a way out was half the fun, well except for that one spot! Let me know when you are ready.

Mitch

Comment

Nice stuff guys!
            Best, Max7
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Max,

If you haven't run Bullfrog yet, you'll love it. We need to get the group out there soon.

Mitch

Comment

I need to finish it! Lila and I did the first 1/4... Love to go back, I'm thinking you'd be fun to follow! Wheels in the air and all!
                Best, Max7
                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

[SIZED]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee259/great88jeep/100_3967.jpg[/SIZED]

Is it just me...or does this look like a camel lying down?
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Nick,

At a different angle it looked like a lion to me and by the time I grabed my camera the angle had changed. There are several formations out there that look like animals with a little imagination (Bullfrog, Howling Coyote, Lion, 2 Bears, The Skull....)

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                      Nick,

At a different angle it looked like a lion to me and by the time I grabed my camera the angle had changed. There are several formations out there that look like animals with a little imagination (Bullfrog, Howling Coyote, Lion, 2 Bears, The Skull....)

Mitch
                      ..... wait for it......
                      [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                      Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X