Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Coyote Canyon Northern Legs

Did a quick run to check things out in the northern legs of Coyote Canyon. Unfortunately I got started late and felt rushed. Since I went alone, I had to resist the urge to take on anything really challenging or technical (well, not without a couple of tries, anyway).

For those of you who aren't familiar with North Coyote Canyon, it ranges from easy to as difficult as you want to make it. To go very far, I would recommend at least 33s w/ 4" of lift or more; good flex and lockers, skidplates, and body armor are all very helpful, as there are rocks of all sizes.

I noticed some wheelers had stacked rocks here and there since the last time I was out (last spring). Erosion had changed some things too, making some areas easier, and some harder. The weather was beautiful and cool--a great day to enjoy nature (and my Jeep).
    holes = cowbell

holes = cowbell

Comment

I would LOVE directions on how to get there from Ontario. I've been craving some new trails and this looks wonderful.......
      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Ditto to that, I am sure Fred and me would love to run that with you

Comment

David,

Looks like a fun trail. I wish that this was closer to home. Thanks for the pictures.

Mitch

Comment

This looks fun... Anybody that knows where it is wanna put together a run????
            Head nut at Outdoorlogic
            Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
            www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

And I thought they closed all the fun stuff in Coyote Canyon, at least the way through to Anza. So these are legs off of Coyote Canyon? Is this after the water crossings?
              "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
              (Charles Wells)

Comment

I wouldn't mind going this weekend or next. If it rains though, things could get interesting: flash floods do rip through there. Here are some rough directions:

15S or 15N to Hwy 79N-Indio (through Temecula)
                Follow Hwy 79N East (go figure) to Hwy 371N
                Go through "downtown" Anza (don't blink)
                South/Right onto Kirby
                Kirby makes a hard left and becomes Wellman
                Wellman makes a right and becomes Terwilliger
                You're now in my neck of the woods--call me or may the canyon gods smite thee.
                East/ Left onto Coyote Canyon Rd
                Follow Coyote Canyon Rd South and East until you come to the Anza Borrego State Park sign. If you come to a locked gate, you came at the wrong time of the year (June through Sept 30th--bighorns get it on).
                holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
                  And I thought they closed all the fun stuff in Coyote Canyon, at least the way through to Anza. So these are legs off of Coyote Canyon? Is this after the water crossings?
                  I assume you're referring to the water crossing in the Lower/ southern Coyote Canyon. If you're working your way north, then yes, it is after that water crossing. Basically these legs are at the northern limits of Coyote Canyon. The eastern leg actually has another name.
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

Can you make it to Borrego Springs now? A few years ago the gate was locked all year. Also have you tried a jeep trail that goes from pinyon pines to the top of Santa Rosa MT?
                    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

I've never taken Coyote Canyon as far south as Borrego Springs, so I don't know if it's open or not, but I would like to just to check it out... sounds pretty leisurely...

Santa Rosa? Yeah, there are several ways up that mountain from the Pinyon area. The most well-known and traveled is a honda-civic rated fire road. But there there is another I've done a couple times that's actually fun for reasons other than the scenery. Went up there last August with my Jeep, my brother in his '08 Rubi 4-door, and a guy from work with his stock FJ Cruiser. Got them both stuck (and unstuck, of course). There are some steep, rocky climbs, and a steep soft dirt climb (where the FJ got stuck). It's fun...bring a parking brake...
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

The one I'am talking about takes off from a horse trail head. It's a place where they park there horse trailers. It goes by an old charcoal kiln. (I think thats what you call it).
                        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by inVERt'D View Post
                          Follow Coyote Canyon Rd South and East until you come to the Anza Borrego State Park sign. If you come to a locked gate, you came at the wrong time of the year (June through Sept 30th--bighorns get it on).
                          Is this the sign?
                          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                            Is this the sign?
                            Not sure, but look for a sign that looks exactly like that one.
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
                              The one I'am talking about takes off from a horse trail head. It's a place where they park there horse trailers. It goes by an old charcoal kiln. (I think thats what you call it).
                              That sounds like the one. Charcoal kiln...you're probably right, I was thinking along the lines of some kind of smelting operation.
                              holes = cowbell

Comment

Working...
                              X