Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Hunting for mines in Stoddard Wells

I took the Jeep out today to take advantage of the incredible winter weather in the high desert, 70' and blue skys. I headed for the Stoddard Wells area just north of Victorville and Apple Valley to search for some old mines that I've noticed while scanning my Topo's program and Google Earth. The areas of "Turtle Valley" and "Stoddard Mountain" were explored. It was a perfect day for some hiking and was very quiet and peaceful.

Mitch

"Turtle Valley" e/o 15 Fwy

"Stoddard Mountain" mines are 1/3 of the way up

Remains of old miners cabins on Stoddard Mountain

Mine exploring
    Last edited by Mitch; 01-16-09, 07:39 PM.

Pretty cool stuff. There are some mines near where I live (Anza) too; went and checked out this old Pyrite mine, but it was blocked with heavy steel bars. That's alright...around Anza there'd probably be some kinda wildlife in there with sharp teeth and claws.
    holes = cowbell

Comment

David,

I've been inside just over 30 mines and other than a bat and a Kangaroo mouse I've not incountered any other living thing. I've looked carefully for snakes and other things but so far zero. I did find paw prints that were as big as my hand (Mountain Lion!) outside of a mine and walked the whole length of that deep mine with my .45 cocked and ready to go! Aways a lot of fun.

Mitch

Comment

Hi, FWIW: I do not think is was a wise choice to do this run, PLUS checking out those mines, or ANY run for that matter, without a "buddy", either in your Jeep or another Jeep tagging along. Just as you don't go swimming without a "buddy" either.
        I know this area well. And the ONLY coms. I know that are 100% in that vly. is my sat. phone(and that won't work deep in those caves).
        Happy you made it back!
        Respectfully,
        LG

P.S. IF you had fired a round inside those caves other than hearing loss, that bullet would be like "playing golf in a tiled bathroom". Speer shot loads are great at reducing "spash-back".
        Last edited by Lumpy Grits; 01-17-09, 11:45 AM.
        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

I go swimming all the time without other people. I never knew I had to take a buddy with me

cool pics mitch.
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Lumpy,

I had called 3 others to join me and waited at the freeway to see if they would show up. Everyone was busy. All of the mines were within 3 miles and in sight of the 15 Fwy. I had cell service almost the entire time (2 phones - Verizon & Nextel).I only went in one of the mines (See video) and it was probly 60' deep, hard rock with a clean floor (as in no falling rocks for the last 60 years). Extra gas, water, tools, parts, food, clothes, first aid kit, .45 and extra ammo, Signal flare gun in the Jeep. I'm sure I'd make if needed.

Thanks for the concern and you are correct, Don't go Jeeping alone. The Winchester Silver Tips in my .45 won't bounce around too much and I can't even think what would happen firing that
            .45 in the house (Blind-Deaf) let alone in a cave!!!

Mitch

Comment

The don't go Jeeping alone is good advice, but people have explored this globe by themselves for as long as there have been people some died, most lived and expanded what was know of our globe. A strong will to live and survive goes a long way to coming back to civilization alive. We got by for a very long time with no cell or sat phones, gps or whatever just the sun and starts to guide is in exploration of this earth. I have never let fear hold me back and I am not about to change that.

Comment

Amen Art!

I'm thinking and smiling about the 30 or so "solo" trips that I've done. My pace, exploring what I wanted to, and not holding anyone up while I did it.

Sorry that I'm not comfy with a Cleghorn "Night Run". There's enough challenges during the daytime when I can see the trail.

Mitch

Comment

Is ok Mitch. We can do a day run for you and some others, I love Cleghorn day or night, just needed to sleep into day and another wheeling buddy did not get out of his classes till 4.30 hence the late start

Comment

Well said, aw12345. Guess I'm with you loners, 'cause I like wheeling alone sometimes. I don't let the lack of company stop me from going, although I do tend to be more careful. Some people sail around the world single-handed. A lot of other people slip in the tub and kill themselves..guess they should have brought a buddy... A lot of old people die on the toilet (like Elvis).. buddy? A whole lot of people die in car accidents..with their buddies. A heck of a lot of other people have their whole lives tossed up and f****d by their "buddies." Fact is, when the chips are down, there are few you can trust. The ones who always play it safe are among those who will always look out for themselves first. If you can't stand alone in adversity, you're not a man--you're just part of a mob waiting to happen. Trust only God.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

Great pictures. And thats one nice looking YJ. This place reminds me of where I grew up in Arizona. I bet there is some peaceful camping out there.

PS. Be prepared, know your limits, and trust only in the great FSM.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Mitch,

How long do we have to wait for your Mines of California book? You need to start building a GPX file for all these.
                        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
                          I go swimming all the time without other people. I never knew I had to take a buddy with me
                          I always heard that when you go diving you always take a buddy and a knife, that way if you come across a hungry shark, you can stab your buddy with the knife making a safe getaway.
                          An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by VVjeepfreak View Post
                            I always heard that when you go diving you always take a buddy and a knife, that way if you come across a hungry shark, you can stab your buddy with the knife making a safe getaway.
                            Exactly my point--I'd be the buddy who forgot his knife..:geek:

Speaking of which, I'm about to go wheeling alone right now! Coyote Canyon here I come!
                            holes = cowbell

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                              Amen Art!

I'm thinking and smiling about the 30 or so "solo" trips that I've done. My pace, exploring what I wanted to, and not holding anyone up while I did it.

Sorry that I'm not comfy with a Cleghorn "Night Run". There's enough challenges during the daytime when I can see the trail.

Mitch
                              I NEVER Jeep alone.

I always have Mr. Green with me
                              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                              [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X