Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Friday Rattlesnake Canyon and Snow run

6 of us met in Lucerne this morning for a run up Rattlesnake Canyon and to check out the snow situation. Mitch (great88), Roger, Scott and Lesa (AVJeepfreek), John (Nipple Twister), Steve (Roger's Son), and Shant (Mr Bash) met at 9:00am and headed east to the Rattlesnake trailhead to air-down. The day was a little cool in the morning but quickly warmed and the clothing layers were peeled off. Blue skys, not a cloud in sight, and still air marked the start of a great day. We made our way up Rattlesnake Canyon checking out the springs, a miners cabin foundation, and just poked along taken in the day. We found a nice spot for lunch near Mound Springs. Mr Bash treated us to an awesome lunch of grilled marinaded steak and chicken skewers hot off of his coleman grill. Shant really is generous when he's on the trail and gives new meaning to "Trail Food".
    I led a couple of side trips that went in search of a mine that I had heard about and then a trip to the abandoned miners camp. Everyone seemed to be content with the wandering and exploring of these areas. The first mine was kind of a bust. Not what I expected but there was to much evidence of activity in the area that says there is more explore next time. We explored the Mining Camp and noticed that things are missing from previous trips. Scrap Hunters? We headed to 2N02 and unlike the report from the previous week it was dry and snow free, so we headed out west on
    2N02 instead of returning via Rattlesnake Canyon.
    There was some foot deep snow on the trail at the Rose Mine area and it got quite ICY at the Junction of 2N02 and 3N03. Mr Bash And Nipple Twister were going to go back via 2N02 but quickly changed their minds with the shady/ICY slick trail. We all went out 3N03 (Cactus Flats) and had a couple of miles of ICY areas where the sun has not found the trail yet. This did take cation but did not present much of a problem as we slowly made our way to Hwy 18. Towards the west end of the trail the snow and ice was melting and allowed some mud and puddle play. Shant treated us to "The Mr Bash Show" and hit the puddles with what I think is the best puddle shot ever! 25 feet of mud and brown water straight up in the air. The video is Jeeping at it's best. A quick air up and off we went at Hwy 18. Another of those perfect days. Great friends with a Friday off.

Mitch

Lucerne meeting place

Rattlesnake Canyon/Miners cabin foundation

Roger insists that he was not stuck, but was just checking his new bumper tow point

Steve

Mr Bash doing it the hard way

Trail Grill Master Shant

The lunch gathering

Checking out the mine I was searching for

John checking the view

Scott and Lesa in the snow

3N03 snow and ICE on the way out

Air time

The Mr Bash Show!!! The best puddle video

Climbing up from the mining camp

great88 cruising thru the the snow and ice on 3N03

Roger / John Rattlesnake Canyon
    Last edited by Mitch; 01-10-09, 04:05 PM.

Way cool! I wish I could have joined you, but Mr. Green isn't well at the moment. Hopefully he'll be back in action for your next run.

The snow still looks deep in spots. Nice pics.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Very cool Mitch. Looks like a nice run. Virgin snow.
      Check out .

Comment

Great day indeed. Gotta wake up early for tomorrow Bullfrog Meeting. Time to goto bed. Thanks Mitch!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Mr Bash,

In your honor as today's "Trail Grill Master", I did some rib-eye kabobs tonight to continue the memory of today's lunch.

Mitch

Comment

Great day everyone! I enjoyed running with you all. It looks like we're forming the Freaking Frolicking Friday Fun loving crew.

Let's see, Scott (AVJeep Freak) & I have every Friday off work, John (nipple twister) has every other Friday off, and Mitch, Bash, & Steve have every Friday off, and they have Thursday, Wednesday, Tuesday, and Mondays off also.....
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
              Mr Bash,

In your honor as today's "Trail Grill Master", I did some rib-eye kabobs tonight to continue the memory of today's lunch.

Mitch

MMMMMMMMM....That looks gooooood!!!!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Need to catch up with friends

Sounds like I missed another great one Glad to hear everything went good and all made it back in 1 peice. I am trying to make the next one if work will leave my schedule alone long enough to plan one.(Working 1800 to 0600 right now)

On a side note I have a set (4) of 15x7 wheels that will fit a CJ (5 on 5.5) that are taking up space in my garage. They are in good shape with just a bit of discoloration around the holes. Free for the asking for any club member that will have more of a need for them than I do. Looking forward to seeing you guys soon. Dan
                Last edited by VVjeepfreak; 01-10-09, 03:05 AM. Reason: I really cant spell
                An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by VVjeepfreak View Post
                  Sounds like I missed another great one Glad to hear everything went good and all made it back in 1 peice. I am trying to make the next one if work will leave my schedule alone long enough to plan one.(Working 1800 to 0600 right now)

On a side note I have a set (4) of 15x7 wheels that will fit a CJ (5 on 5.5) that are taking up space in my garage. They are in good shape with just a bit of discoloration around the holes. Free for the asking for any club member that will have more of a need for them than I do. Looking forward to seeing you guys soon. Dan
                  Dan, Sorry you couldn't make it, we had a great time. Maybe next time. Let us know your work schedule and let's try to plan a run around it!

What is the width of your CJ wheels? I might be able to use them.
                  SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                  MJR moderator
                  MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Looks like fun Mitch. Nice report. Wish I could have gone but been working on the Chevy.
                    Best, Max7
                    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

More Fri Rattle pics......great day it was...

Lunch BBQ on the trail, how sweet it is, thx Bash!

Drivers meet/airdown

No more exploring Rose Mine

Snow bound?

Dog days.....

2N03?

more 2N03?

Roger decides now is a good time for rear bumper attachment point test.....

Just a great damn day of wheelin, thanks everyone!

Exploring whats left...

Can't you hear it as the Jeep hits the water?....that familiar sound we are getting used to hearing?......"BASH", there it goes"!
                      What a blast, no body broke, no body got hurt, weather was great and , ahmmm, no body got stuck....

John (aka, Nipple Twister)
                      John & Kristi

Comment

John,

Nice pictures. Had a great time yesterday as always. I would have been pissed if I hiked up to the Rose Mine with you and Roger and saw that is now blocked. It is amazing that the Rose Mine, like so many others, had tunnels dug out since 1891 and now in 2009 they need to be blocked. No dangerous verticle shaft, just a 100 foot long tunnel. If anyone wants to explore these historic places you better see them while you can!

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,

Great report like always and pics! Glad you guys had a great time!

Comment

Roger I think they are 15x7. I got them with 33x12.5's on them to put on my CJ (before I rolled it). I took the tires off and mounted them on my YJ. Let me know if you want some pic's of them. Dan
                            An armed society is a polite society. Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Wow! Nice pictures. That looks like tons of fun. Thanks for the write-up.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X