Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Snow Trip Gets Ugly, er I Mean Lucky!!

While taking the wee ones out to play in the snow, things got ugly. See the family story and see video here: Off Road and Outdoors
    Cudos to the Motherlode Rockcrawlers for helping out!
    Stacie Albright
    Life Member BlueRibbon Coalition

wow! i hope there were lessons learned.
    they got REALLY lucky that time.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

We cancelled our snow trip because there were only two of us going. Safety in numbers when things go wrong.

Comment

My cousin's wife's mom & dad died being stranded not to far from where this story happened. They weren't found until spring. Their story was in People magazine.

Never ever leave home without emergency supplies in your rig. I always carry an Alice pack with MRE's, water, extra clothes, and survival gear. Whether is back and forth to work or out playing, I'm prepared. I live by my old Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared".

Something to think about.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

I am very happy to hear that everything turned out OK!

I was stuck in 4 feet of ice on Santa Clara Divide Road on March 2, 2008 with my fiance and her couzin Tina.

There was NO snow on the trail in the beginning and we were not expecting any either. 22 miles later we encountered snow and got stuck at 3:45pm. At 6:30pm a lifted Toyota crawled up behind us with two men dressed in camaflouge. I was not very excited about the situation but they turned out to be very nice gentlemen.

They helped tugged on our Jeep 11 times until we were free and then they got stuck. We finished tugging each other out at 10:45pm and I just wanted to get home.

We were very lucky.

After that day and forever...The Jeep is loaded with propane, a grill, shotgun, handgun, ammunition, tent, sleeping bags, fire starter, axe, shovel, plenty of water, protein bars and extra clothes.

God was watching you and he was merciful. Even with a Jeep, never go into snow alone....at least have a winch...but never go alone.

Glad your safe! Happy new year.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Praise Jesus! That must have been a scary night!

Ever since that James Kim catastrophe, the Missus and I never go road-tripping without the "JK" bag which has food, knife, shovel, aerial signal flares, blankets, water purification, and, most importantly, a 406 MHz personal locator beacon.

More than any cell phone, ham radio, or firesteel, that little plastic PLB makes me feel as secure as I can be when I am out and about.

So glad to hear that the family is ok and hope that we can all learn from your story.
            Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Working...
            X