Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Diamond Spur Trail in Berdoo Canyon?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Black Diamond Spur Trail in Berdoo Canyon?

Okay, so my family went for a simple scenery run through Berdoo Canyon into Joshua Tree the other day. About 3/4 of the way through the canyon, I spot a side trail that I have not ever noticed before in the previous 10 or so trips to the area.

Its not on any of my maps of the area, and neither of my GPS units have it. Does anyone know more about this trail? Where does it go? Is it a through trail? Is it a legal trail? (there were no signs whatsoever, though many other side canyons are fenced and marked as closed, but not this one).

The trail entrance is a good gatekeeper for the sort of rig you need to make it the first mile or so. We didn't go any further because our friend's truck accompanying us could not make it, so we turned back, but my interest is piqued!

Here are some photos:

I love this woman!

very tight turns

Another wall, this one about 5 feet high (my 7 year old daughter for reference). Normally not too hard, but you can't get a straight shot at it because it's a 90 degree turn from a tight rock canyon.

Coming at the wall at angle. The wrong angle! This is after I pulled Marni's front bumper back down from being up over my head. She was pretty close to rolling to the drivers side. You can't see it here, but there is a deep hole just in front of the drivers side rear wheel that really puts you over on a nasty angle.

Finally up and over the wall. traction is not an issue, but its hard to get the right line without doing a series of 3 point turns to get perpendicular to it. Once you are lined up, its a piece of cake. We didn't take this spur much farther, only another 1000 yards or so around the next bend. I would love to explore this to where ever it goes!

For other photos from the day, the gallery is here:
    http://nwoods.smugmug.com/gallery/69...45941742_4BVQd
    Last edited by nwoods; 12-31-08, 01:36 AM.
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

How far up Berdoo Canyon is this trail?
    Curtis
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Nice.... I gotta go back to Berdoo then. I didn't see it either.

Your friends truck....what was it? It did not make it up the 'gate keeper'? I was going to ask, how he faired up that first obstacle where the picture of your jeep is going vertical and looks off kilter. But you said he couldn't make it. My kind of trail.
      Last edited by Mtbikbob; 12-31-08, 08:21 AM. Reason: more words.
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Mtbikbob View Post
        Nice.... I gotta go back to Berdoo then. I didn't see it either.

Your friends truck....what was it? It did not make it up the 'gate keeper'? I was going to ask, how he faired up that first obstacle where the picture of your jeep is going vertical and looks off kilter. But you said he couldn't make it. My kind of trail.
        My friend is brand new to off roading, and is very uncertain of his trucks abilities...and his own. having said that, I still dont think he could have done it. The overhangs on the 4Runner are too long and he would have dragged quite a bit. Plus, he does not have lockers or a very effective traction control system....yet!

TreadLightly Trainer
        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
          How far up Berdoo Canyon is this trail?
          Curtis
          It's about 3/4's of the way through. I looked at MapCreate just now, and I'd estimate the location to be at N33 49.971 and W116 04.674. It is right after this little rock formation that I'm sure many of you would recognize:

TreadLightly Trainer
          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
            it's about 3/4's of the way through. I looked at mapcreate just now, and i'd estimate the location to be at n33 49.971 and w116 04.674. It is right after this little rock formation that i'm sure many of you would recognize:
            now thats money on the trail..... I love to beat the hell out of my jeep , but i would keep that rig on the road...
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Nathan that trail is a hell of a find, very nice trail
              Has a couple of nice obstacles after the part that you ran. The whole trail is about 4.5 to 5 miles long.
              We met 2 more groups wheeling it it seems to be the local wheeling hot spot.
              Will post some pics later

Comment

Cool! I look forward to those pictures. So it's just a in/out trail? Is there a mine or something at the end? Any of those locals give it a name?

TreadLightly Trainer
                HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

looks like pushwalla cyn maybe i could be wrong
                  [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Black diamond trail run in SanBerdu canyon

It has a name. just don;t know what it is, the first group we met was from lake havashy and they told us ir's been named but forgot the name. The second group was from the indio area and they run it all the time. It basically ends in a wide area ringed by mountains, no mine or anything that I couls see just a somewhat flat area ringed by mountains there is one more waterfall that goes on but its like a 8 feet straight rock face, would take a lot of work to make that passible.

This where the trail dead ends

Just before the end there is a short side trail on the left

Which ends at this straight rock face, once one would tackle that there is some more drivable trail after it

Fred cheating

The locals

and the end of the day

The rest of the pictures are here

http://picasaweb.google.com/aartw123...nyonSideTrail#

To find the trail is not terribly hard. From the I 10 head north on Dillon rd take the first right after all the rock plants and such, once you pass the San Berdu canyon sign its really the only canyon you can enter on the left hand side, It's essentially a crack in the rock wall with tire tracks heading in
                    Last edited by aw12345; 01-04-09, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Cool, nice job photo-documenting that. That short little wall that puts you way up and over is an interesting feeling, no?

LOL

TreadLightly Trainer
                      HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Well it got intersting when Fred had me back down it again so he could take a picture. But yes is a interesting feeling has been awhile lol

Comment

Nice pictures,looks like fun.
                          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Had a great time on this side trail.There were more
                            obstacles that we didn't get pics of. we did some exploring and found a few canyons that looked promising but were posted stay out.If you like rock,tight turns and waterfalls you will like this trail
                            You can make it

Comment

that looks like some fun areas. Cool pics.
                              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...
                              X