Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Calico Area

My Wheeling this weekend started with me attempting to tow my jeep to the gas station the night before. I had just installed 6" springs in the jeep and found that I had a LOT of death wobble. After a few SCARRY test drives and the re-installation of the steering stabilizer. I was GTG (Good to Go)

We (My Nephew and I) arrived at Peggy Sues diner a little after 8am and took a nap until noticing that Matt had arrived. We introduced our selves and went inside for a very good breakfast to start our day.

After breakfast we unhooked the jeeps and introduced our selves to Justin and decided what trails to run and in what order, we then proceeded down the highway to the staging area.

Once there we aired down we continued on to Mule Cutoff. After a few wrong turns and a side trip through a few arches (My Nephew got a kick out of that) we ended up on Doran.

This trail is passable by stock jeeps with the exception of the Gate Keeper obstacle and they can expect some body damage and some stacking of rocks (massive points lost for this.lol). After looking at Gate Keeper and deciding that neither Justin nor Matt were up for it I decided to forgo it also (It's definitely on my to-do list now though). We took the by-pass and started up the small waterfalls.

Everything was going swimmingly when I head this hi-pitched boing from behind me. I get out of the jeep and head back to justin to find his rear drivers side spring on the ground. After a few seconds of head scratching as I have never seen that happen we proceeded to back him up and re-inert it.

After putting it back in 3 times in 50 feet, we decided to turn around and head back down.

After saying good bye to justin Matt and I headed back down Mule cutoff to check out some mines in the area. I decided that since My Nephew has never driven before (he's only 12) that he should be able to handle a 5speed with 4:1 and 4.56 in the pumpkins. We were going slow after all.

Everything was good until we started up the by-pass and the front passenger tire ended up in a rutt follwed by the rear passenger tire. After killing the engine I look right and see that I can touch the ground and we are darn near on our side. Not a problem, We switch drivers again, put it in first and crawl up and out of the rutt. lol... I think it scared him as he didn't want to drive anymore. lol...

We got up to the bismark mine in one piece and took a look around. it's a neat place if you have never been there. lots of history.

After playing in and around the mine we headed down to Wall Street. However we can now confirm that the road is Washed out. You can probably get a buggy through it but the BMW mini sized rock in the middle of the wash out would make it really difficult.

After a beautiful day 4Wheeling we are taking stock of what we learned.
    1. 35" tires, 6" of lift and NO steering stabilizer are NOT Safe. you definitely NEED the stabilizer
    2. Weld metal clips on the front and rear springs to keep them in the vehicle
    3. bring extra shock mounts
    4. bring lots of warm cloths as the temps were in the 40-50's all day
    5. even though I've never needed one, I will be getting at least one winch for my jeep
    6. 18lbs of pressure in Mickey Tompsons Baja Claws in a LOT. need to air down to somewhere south of 10psi. It was like riding on a buckboard.

Pictures of the day can be found at:
    http://gallery.me.com/gijoel#100228&...lack&view=grid

Thanks to Matt for putting up this run. It was a very enjoyable time
    Joel

Joel,

Cool pictures. It's alway nice to make it home safely and still have a list of I should do next time. Thanks for sharing.

Mitch

Comment

Nice pics and report, Joel, glad you had a great time. I'm glad to hear that Justin made it home alright.

Comment

Where is this? Is this the washed out part of Wall Street?

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
        Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
        HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
          Where is this? Is this the washed out part of Wall Street?
          Looks like the very last step of gatekeeper on Doran.

EDIT:
          See
          Last edited by Materdaddy; 12-31-08, 12:44 AM. Reason: add pic
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
            Looks like the very last step of gatekeeper on Doran.
            Ah! A view I am unfamiliar with...yet
            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
              Ah! A view I am unfamiliar with...yet
              For the record... that isn't me. I haven't done gatekeeper. My Jeep is far from ready for that. OK, not that far, just axles with lockers away.
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Joel and Justin, thanks for making it out there. The friends I brought along took photos, but nothing very good. Unfortunately, we only made it about half way up Doran. By the time we got Justin back to the road, It was too late to start back up Doran, so we went up Mule Canyon. I had a good time, and so did my company.
                I say Doran is rougher than last year (or I made more mistakes). Will have to go back and try again!
                Mat

Comment

Nice report and pictures....I have multiple family members out this week and so no wheeling for me.....
                  I'll live vicariously through your photo's..
                  Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by DriverJC View Post
                    After playing in and around the mine we headed down to Wall Street. However we can now confirm that the road is Washed out. You can probably get a buggy through it but the BMW mini sized rock in the middle of the wash out would make it really difficult.

yeah it is a good size drop into the beginning of the wash. It looks gnarly. you get any pics of it. hopefully it will be a trail soon thru there.

pm me when you wanna go back out there. I am down.
                    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

It's about a 5 foot drop.

That picture is from gatekeeper. Unfortunately my 12year old nephew was taking the pictures so it's kinda hard to tell. lol...

I told the wife that I was taking this weekend off to take care of some honey-doos and to give the jeep some TLC (of course I didn't tell her about the Winch, Upper Control Arms, and Camera's I bought to install. Unfortunately the camera's (for the wheel wells) and control arms will take a few weeks to get here. but the winch will be installed by Saturday.

hmmmm.... Maybe if I work hard she'll let me go out on sunday again. lol...

Here's hoping.

Joel

Comment

here is the pic of the wash. I took this not too long after the rains in november

Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...
                        X