Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Calico carnage

Today was a beautiful day in Calico. I got a late start this morning and had to drive a little fast, but I was just in time to meet Mat(mrthieba) and Joel (DriverJC) as they were leaving Peggy Sue's. Mat had some friends with him that had never been there before, so we started down Mule Canyon to the cut-off to Doran. The plan was to go up Doran then come down Odessa. Things were looking great as we barely saw any other people around and it looked as though we'd have the trails to ourselves.

We got about halfway up Doran without incident. Then I broke. I don't know what went first, but I broke my rear driver sway bar link, and the bar pin on that shock. This let my axle droop all the way out and pop my spring out. I backed to a flat spot, and out came the Hi-lift. We got the spring back in and hooked up a ratchet strap for a limiting strap. This held for a little bit, but the strap broke and out came the spring again. This time we strapped the bottom of the spring to the axle, and used some of the cut off ratchet strap to tie the top of the spring to the spring bucket. I had also now broken the pass. side sway bar link, so I tied the sway bar up out of the way.

At this point it wasn't looking too good for me finishing the trail, so we turned around and headed out. I continued to the pavement, while Mat and Joel stayed to play some more. I'd really like to thank them for their help getting me off the trail and making sure I made it out. The 115 mile drive home was uneventful, just a little more bouncy without that shock.

I didn't get any pics on the trail, but here's what everything looked like once I got home:

Spring tied into place. Notice no shock.

Sway bar tied up:

The parts:

I know that Mat and Joel got some pics on the trail, so hopefully they will post some up- as well as report on the rest of their day.
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Once I got home and could look around underneath a little better I noticed this.

Driverside upper control arm bracket is peeling off the frame. Should I just have it welded back on, or do they make stronger replacements for these. I don't weld, so anyone near Orange want to help me out either way?
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

Check with Currie and Rock Krawler
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Curry makes a brace for the upper mount. What upper control arms do you use?
        Also pull the pins out of some old shocks and carry them with you easy to change and will keep ya from ruining your day. In this case it was good you went home early. A busted control arm mount would have really sucked on the trail.
        I am sure there are some guys on here that can buzz the mount back on and either plate it or put the curry brace on for ya

Comment

Justin,

It looks like you really been using your Jeep! It will get mad if you aren't nice to it once and awhile. Good luck with the repairs. Calico has disabled a lot of Jeeps lately.

Mitch

Comment

I've had a similar incident happen with the driver side upper control arm bracket brake off of the axle. I also had used ratchet straps, almost a necessity to have with you. I'm glad to hear nothing major broke and that you were able to get off of the trail safely.
            WILL WORK FOR JEEP PARTS!!!

Comment

The upper driver control arm bracket driverside on the axle is notorious for breaking off since it takes a lot of side and shock loading from the trackbar. You can plate it or weld on aftermarket brackets

Comment

man that sucks. I hope you get it all back togetehr soon.
                Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...
                X