Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Anza Borrego Snow n Mud Run Video

It was cold out there! Time to put the top back on I guess. Here's the video I put together of my trip on out to the desert this weekend. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rX4E...e=channel_page

Nice video!
    -- Warren
    1999 SE

Comment

John,

Nice video work! The first section of trail looked like you guys were doing 70 - 80 mph through the wash! Fun area to play in.

Mitch

Comment

Great video John. I noticed the great winter wonderland stretched out to you guys! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Cool! Nothing like capturing the memories to watch over and over again. That's a great place to explore.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Thanks, guys! I'm also gonna be running the Mojave Road next month. I'm sure its gonna be even colder out there.
            Here's some pics I took.

Heading on up to Julian.

Snow capped mountains seen from the desert.

Lined up and airing down in Vallecito Wash.

Hollywood and Vine.

Parked in Arroyo Tapiado Canyon, just outside the mud cave.

Opening at the end.

Trying to get a little off camber in Arroyo Seco Del Diablo Canyon.

Diablo dropoff.

On our way out to Fish Creek.

Sandstone Canyon.

Sucks!

Ranger checking things out.

Had lunch at the (new) end of Sandstone.

Split rock, on our way towards Pinyon Mtn.

Another video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9vgn...e=channel_page
            Last edited by Borregowrangler; 12-22-08, 09:07 PM.

Comment

The Ranger looks safe in that Rubicon!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

I really want to go out with you one of these days. I want to learn those trails! I went to AB for the first time a few weeks ago, as a passenger in my friends 4Runner at a Toyota event called DirtyToySchool with Bill Burke as the trainer. Some photos here:
                http://nwoods.smugmug.com/gallery/6835695_xm3y9

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by MrBash View Post
                  The Ranger looks safe in that Rubicon!

Now that is the job I want to have!!! I'd trade my cubicle for the driver's seat of a Rubi any day.
                  That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

John, awesome pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                      Now that is the job I want to have!!! I'd trade my cubicle for the driver's seat of a Rubi any day.
                      Schmo.... don't you already have a rubi's driver seat..lol..or were you talking about that particular one... which I would not mind having too!

Comment

Hey, a quikc newbie question...

For the Anza Borrego area (and even down South around Plaster), are you guys airing down the tires?

I've got 33's on my CJ-5 and heading out in a few weeks for the first time and am looking for advice.
                        -- Warren
                        1999 SE

Comment

Originally posted by Warren View Post

For the Anza Borrego area (and even down South around Plaster), are you guys airing down the tires?

I've got 33's on my CJ-5 and heading out in a few weeks for the first time and am looking for advice.
                          Warren, If you are just going on dirt roads that are'nt that bad, it will be at your own discretion, especially if it starts to get really bumpy.
                          Rule of thumb, once you leave pavement 'air down'. More control, bigger footprint, flotation..etc.. Just make sure you carry a air source before you get back on pavement to air back up. HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Warren View Post

Definately. Airing down does several things:
                            1. Smooths out the ride on rocky/choppy/washboarded trails.
                            2. Makes your tires more grippy by being softer and conforming around and over rocks
                            3. Makes your tires float better on sand by lengthening your tire's foot print (increasing the contact patch)
                            4. Protects your tires by allowing sidewall impacts to give and deflect rather than suscumb to puncture.

You can go to too far though. You can lower your pressure to the point where you are more susceptable to unseating the bead on your rim, giving you an instant flat (but trail repairable).

You will want to experiment with tire pressure to see what works best with A) tire size, B) Weight loading of your rig, C) surface you are wheeling on. Typically, sand will be your lowest pressure setting.

A good general starting point is 18psi in the "aired down" configuration, and then adjust down from there if you feel you need more traction/float.
                            Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Awesome, thanks gang.

I've already got an air compressor in my RV, but still need to get something for the trail just in case...

Leaning towards a C02 setup when I can afford it!

Merry Christmas all!
                              -- Warren
                              1999 SE

Comment

Working...
                              X