Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Roger's Ord Mountain Trip

Roger posted a trip a few days ago for an exploring trip around the Ord Mountains area north of Lucerne Valley. So we left Lucerne and headed north on Hwy 247 to OM6604 (SV183). We stopped at Goat Spring for a few minutes then headed east to the Aztec Springs area. There is several old mines and miners cabin remains from 1917! Next we headed north towards Newberry Springs. On the way we stopped at an old copper mine with cyinide leaching tubs in front. Next we went in search of the Azucar Mine east of Camp Rock Road near Yermo. This was a cool mine that must have been a big producer in it's day. Huge tailings piles, a couple of scary deep verticle shafts, and a deep main tunnel. The insides of this tunnel (walls and ceiling) we so soft that you could dig into it with your hands. This told us "Stay Out, Stay Alive"!
    We ate lunch as the day continued to get warmer. From here we headed east across Camp Rock Road about 20 miles to Troy Road. We drove up this canyon north past several mine spots like Camp Skee to get to Kane Spring. We explored the Kane Springs area for awhile checking out an old Arrastra, housing slabs, and tubs that held some of the flowing water from the springs. There were alot of cow footprints near the springs, but we didn't see any. Roger had a tight schedule so we headed back to Lucerne to call it a day. Seemed like a hundred miles today! I'm sore and I hurt, so we'll see about Bullfrog Saturday. I also have some chills and after a burning hot shower I was snoozing by 5:30pm.

Thanks Roger, I had a great time. The pictures of these mountains and hills and the colors just aren't the same as in person.

Mitch

Goat Springs shelter

Aztec Springs foundation

Old Copper Mine

Azucar Mine

Kane Springs

Old Arrastra / Kane Springs

Old hand stacked rock road near Camp Skee

:thumbs_up Another great report.
    How many little drips are in a quart?

Comment

We had a great time. I really enjoy getting out and exploring, while we still can that is. Mitch is always good guy to get out with. No stress, no egos, no hassles, just a fun time.

I know most of you like the extreme stuff (hense the name: myjeekrocks.com!). But there's alot to to be said for getting out and finding these natural, cultural, & historic sites. Everyday more and more are either unaccessable or gone. A case in point is Willis Wells. I wanted to show it to Mitch yesterday, but now it is behind a locked gate. It is a beautiful hand dug well about 40' deep and lined with rock & mortar. Now it's gone from public accessibility.
      Last edited by Roger; 12-06-08, 05:23 PM.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Each time I read these trail reports, I get bummed. I wish I was there! I think I'll move out to Lucerne now...

Comment

2'nd that,Roger.....

Did the Fry's today with my ass hauling roommate on bikes. Talked him into checking out the Fry arrastra, and the "Big Mine"....The day went from "how fast can we go" into "check this out!"......SO much to see and explore in that area.
          :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Oh, Mitch.....When are YOU going to get a BIKE??????
            :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
              Each time I read these trail reports, I get bummed. I wish I was there! I think I'll move out to Lucerne now...
              Hey Steve, We could have your mom's cabin liveable in a weekend!

Start packing!
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Dave,

I've already done the "Haul Ass Dirt Bike"thing. I have no control and started getting injured to often. So I'll stay with Jeepin.

When you want a short, easy trip, there is a mine in Oro Grand area that rivals the BIG mine in the fry's. There also is a dozen others in that area that I've been to.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  Hey Steve, We could have your mom's cabin liveable in a weekend!

Start packing!
                  I'm afraid a good wind will take er down!!! Now all I need to do is:

Dig a well
                  Run Power
                  Build a house
                  Find a job

Hmm, not that bad!

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
                    I'm afraid a good wind will take er down!!! Now all I need to do is:

Dig a well
                    Run Power
                    Build a house
                    Find a job

Hmm, not that bad!
                    Hey Steve, this is do-able!

I forget which supermarket chain you work for, but we got 'em all here in the High Desert - put in for a transfer.

Construction costs are way down now, it should be affordable for you to build a new house.

Power is right there by the property corner - piece of cake!

Wrap the cost of the well in the the construction loan and you are good to go.

Do you need me to come down and help you pack?
                    MJR moderator
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                    X