Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Searching for mines!

I went out today in search of another couple of mines that I've seen on my topo's. I went up Coxey Truck Trail from Apple Valley. This starts as 3255 (BLM)thens turns into 3N14(SBNF). I turned onto 4N16 and headed back north for a couple of miles. I forgot my GPS #'s that I wrote down but I was able to go from memory (I need to get back to work before the brain cells are gone). Ihiked down a stream bed in search of Balanced Rock Mine. I found Balanced Rock but couldn't find the mine. Next I headed north about a mile and went back and forth looking for the old, disappearing trail to the un-named mine and tunnels that the topo showed. I finally got out of the Jeep and started looking for clues. I found a couple of rocks that were out of place, what looked like an old wheel track in acouple of places, and then I found on old soldered side and bottom can in a bush. I got my stuff and headed east in search of the mine. I spotted an old rock foundation and rock chimney about a 1/2 mile away. When I got there, there was signs of many years of habitation. I explored this area for an hour before leaving. Looking at a couple of tailings piles, the main entrances must have been filled in and might have been good sized at one point in time. There are more spots to check out here next time. When I left for Apple Valley I had been out for 5 1/2 hours and had not seen one person. Awesome weather and again the views were remarkable.

Mitch

Balanced Rock

Do you see the trail - I do

Searching for clues

This is the kind of thing I love finding

Pieces of canvas belting holding small bucket scoops together. Must have been a small conveyor to bring up ore from a tunnel or shaft.

Enjoying the view while airing up

man you go everywhere.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Seriously Mitch . . . you are doing it right!!! I worry that if I had the time off, I still wouldn't end up taking advantage of it like you have. You're going to look back on these times and smile for many years.
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Mitch you are fortunate. I have no work right now, but I'm salary and have to report to the office every day or I won't get paid. So I surf the (seriously) internet 40 hours a week. I always look forward to you adventures as an escape.

Thanks

Comment

Nice find. I love finding old remains like that. My great grandfather use to have a cabin and mines up on Frazier and I can vaguely remember seeing the foundation in that same state when I was real young. Around the late 70's the forestry came through and pushed the foundation off the side of the hill, blow the front of the mines closed, cleared the arrasta and took all the left over equipment away. I understand the reasons but it is hard to see history removed forever.
          How many little drips are in a quart?

Comment

What the couple of post above said.:thumbs_up. I sometimes wish I live up there just to explore. When I finish my bathroom tiling, I am so going Jeeping/exploring. Keep'm coming.

Comment

Working...
            X