Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Cougar Buttes with Tri County Gear

I had an invite to be a passenger in Brian Nash's
    (ECVjeep) rig today at Cougar Buttes. This trip was set by Jason and Terri Bunch of Tri County Gear / RockStar Racing in Pomona. These 2 invited a handfull of special customers to join them this weekend for a Rock Crawler clinic, trail rides, Mexican dinner, as a show of thanks for being loyal customers. Jason and Terri are awesome people! Everyone had a chance to try out the Rock Buggy for awhile before heading out for a several hour run in, through, and around Cougar Buttes. I left great88 at camp to the trail run and held to the passenger seat for Brian. The trail had rocks, steep loose climbs, radical decents, and huge granite slabs. Brian waited for me to get out and take some pictures before he laid it over on it's side. Jason did a scary front end over on to the roof of his YJ thrasher, andafter we flipped him back upright he fired it up and when the smoke cleared he was heading right back to the same spot to try a different line. Very impressive nerves of steel. Several very tilty sections had jeeps balancing back and forth on 3 wheels. After the trail, we met back at camp and Jason set up the cones and coached everyone through an actual crawler course. I only did a few small sections after watching Julie (white YJ) stand her husbands Jeep nose down with the back wheel several feet the air right in front of me. That was the next section for me and promptly bailed and resumed taking pictures (Much safer!). What a great day. Jason runs a business the right way, he takes care of his customers!

Brian, thanks for the invite and introducing me to your friends.

Mitch

The ROCK BUGGY

Brian driving the BUGGY

Brian lays it over and takes a break!

Jason flops ass over front onto the roof and ends up on his side

Brian runs the crawler course

great88 I start the course then see the near end over right in front of me and then I bailed! HA HA

Julie kept us entertained / And she never flinched

Julie stays so calm

great88 flying thru the hoops

Brian in the Buggy

Last edited by Mitch; 11-22-08, 11:41 PM.

woohoo. some body damage. I like the pics man.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

I should let you know that I didn't want body damage, but my Jeep was the least prepared of this group. Tire sizes ran from 35's to 40's, Front and Rear air lockers, Atlas Transfer Cases most with 10:1 ratio's, and Brian's new Dana60 with HD Warn shafts, ARB, huge u-joints, trick knuckles..... When I asked how much that little set up was going to cost he started getting a twitch in his neck and shaking all over. A hard core bunch of rigs for sure!

Mitch

Comment

That looked like fun

Comment

This Cougar Buttes is not for my Jeep. I like my front windshield un-shattered and my rollbars are not interested in touching the rocks with my tires in the oporite direction. I think we need to figure out how to get to Bullfrog trail. Maybe Curtis can lead us in the right direction?

Regardless of any of that, we can still go out in the area and have fun on Tuesday. We'll chat further on Monday Mitch! Great Report. I'm headed to Devil's hole with the family. See ya!

EDIT* Now that I look at the pictures more carefully, that is an awesome area. I'm there dude!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

MrBash we almost rolled 2 jeeps and some body damage yesterday. There are spots that if you don't follow the right line you will roll or slam into a big rock. So you need to go with some one who knows the trail and a good spoter! Its no easier then couger buttes.
            IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Mr Bash,

Lets hook up on Tuesday and go check this out. This area will be a ton of fun for you. After the trails that you have run, this won't be a problem. There are alternates throughout the area. And technically this 3 - 4 mile area is all "Cougar Buttes".

Curtis, I noticed that your Jeep still looks awesome and is spotless. Makes me think about painting mine.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch don't look to close. lots of scratches and rock burn.
                IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Looks like a great time Mitch!
                  Best, Max7
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Mitch-

It was a great day, and lot's of fun. I know you have a few new sections you will be leading at the Buttes.....just not the likely flop over spots. Glad you were able to join us.

Look forward to another desert touring event soon......only playing hard in the rocks is hard on the equipment and the pocket book. I was fortunate that my mistake only cost me a scraped up fender flare and a small patch to the softtop.

Man.....I need a buggy. I don't want a buggy. I NEED a buggy...there is a difference isn't there!?

-Brian
                    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Glad to see that Mitch keeps those round, black, rubber thingy's pointing down at the ground...it's much easier on the paint job that way!

Look's like it was fun for some and expensive for a few, but a good time was has by all.

I may just have to go next time...

Mike "NiKnaak"

Comment

Rock buggy makes it look to easy, awesome pics Mitch

Comment

It seems obvious to me that a great many MJR folks share a direct responsibility for the increasing disregard for life or limb displayed by Mitch in his Jeeping adventures. Not wanting to mention any names but: Max7, Malachi, Rat Patrol, Dirtman13, Roger, and so many others I have not yet had the pleasure to meet (you know who you are you guilty jeepers).

One thing that I have come to know and respect about Mitch, is his genuine interest in exploring the desert and learning and understanding its history. I would propose that we consider organizing an overnight trip to explore some of the historical sites in the desert. A chance to explore the back roads and forgotten sites, not to test our vehicles or our mettle. I do not make a good trip leader, so I must pass on that job. I do make a fine instigator.

As we all share a common vested interested in Johnson Valley, I would suggest we center any such excursion in the JV area. At the very least, we can then report back to PFJV and FOJV of our usage of the area.

If we could make it work, for me it would have to be next year. If MJR can make it work sooner than that, then please host a beer around the campfire for those of us who could not attend.
                          Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Brian,

Are you stirring things up cause of that picture of you laying penny on it's side? Last overnight trip you did was inside a nice heated motorhome right? I'll play all day or night but I'm sleeping in bed when the time comes. And I do respect "Life and Limb", mainly my limbs! Thanks again.

Mitch

Comment

"It's a rock, Get over it! Award

Well... Agreed! But we will have to start or end with "The Hairy Crack" since you all will be out this way, anyway!
                              Mitch is a great guy and we are privileged to have his good company, he has come a long way in a short time. I would nominate Mitch for the most developed wheeler in 2008. For the "It's a rock, Get over it! Award" You Rock Mitch!
                              After the new year, or whenever is a good time to get together.
                              Best, Max7
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X