Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Roger's Veterans Day 2N10 Snow Run

Well Roger out did himself today! I'll let Roger fill in the details, but he asked if I would post some pictures since he didn't have his camera. Briefly, I only had about 3 hours to wheel but I went anyways. The day was incredible, clear blue sky's, warming temps, and 3/4 of the trail was covered in snow!!!
    5 rigs drove over an hour in 3-4" of snow. I'll let Roger tell the rest of the story. Great seeing everyone and thank you Roger for a fun trip.

Mitch

Airing down

We hit snow around the first corner

Checking out the awesome view

Even a couple of nice mud puddles

Driving in the snow

It's like a parade
    Last edited by Mitch; 11-11-08, 03:41 PM.

WOW!!!!! I definitely missed a good day out. The snow is beautiful!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Darn missed out on the first snow what a bummer.
      Having to work is a pain at times, yet glad to be gain fully employed, nice pics and video Mitch

Comment

Roger's Report

First of all, Thanks to the following for making this a great trip:
        Great88 - Mitch
        Nipple Twister - John
        TDS SD - George
        scherf68 - Jim, Susan, & Kaley

We met at the Stater Bros parking lot, made the introductions, and had a quick driver's meeting.

We picked up 2N10 at the Mill Creek Rd side. We aired down and right away we hit snow on the trail as you can see by Mitch's great photos & videos.

The first snow covered grade we went up was still in the shade and frozen over. I'm just driving along happy as a clam in my ol' CJ7 w/ the "po boy" lift & 31x1.05 BFG AT's. I go up the grade like it wasn't there. All of a sudden the CB lights up and everyone behind me is talking about how they can't make it up the hill!. Now I'm a bit jealous of everyone's elses awsome rigs compared to mine! But I just can't let it go! They all struggled coming up the grade.

Okay, enough of that! We took 2N10 to 2N08 and made a few stops along the way for photo ops & enjoying the mountains. We had to part company with Mitch at 2N08 where he headed to Moon Ridge and headed home to get ready for a meeting he had to attend.

2N08 zig-zags down the mountain heading towards Hwy 38. Near the bottom we stopped at a wide spot on the trail for lunch. When we got to 1N04 we headed west to 1N54 (Clarks's Grade).

Here we parted company with George who decided to head back to San Diego. So, John, Jim & crew, and I headed up Clark's grade. Great views as we climed back up the mountain. About 2/3rds of the way up it was evident that the recent storm had damaged the road a little. Sand had washed on the road and as we drove over it, our Jeeps tilted signifigantly towards the edge of the trail. There was a pucker factor of at least 7!

We reached the top of Clark's grade and headed back to whre we started. We aired up at Aspen Park and we all stayed of at least an hour visiting.

As we all went our seperate ways, I was thinking of what a relaxing fun filled day it was with super people. I hope they will wheel with me again in the future. I enjoyed each and everyone's company!

Heres a map of our trip I think I may have made it too large so it may be slow loading:
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

vet,s run

rodger ,looks like you had a great day out there and you deserve it .if you look at the map over toward hwy 38 theres a trail 2n93 that goes out to hwy 38 ,then you go down 38 to 1n04 which leads to 2n06 which leads to 2n10 and back to lake .makes for a full day and some great scenery too .have to try that out sometime .!!!!!p.s dont forget to let me know so i can go too !!

Comment

Nice write-up Roger, the family had a great time and it was very serene, a nice scenic trip. I recall saying before the trail, "only thing I don't like are jeep-wide roads with 500 foot cliffs on one side," sure enough, you saved them for last and puckered me to at least an 8. Great group of guys and hopefully we will go again soon.
            Roger forgot to mention about the tree frogs my girl heard (:.

Comment

I'm really sorry that I missed Clarks Grade, cause everyone knows that I love steep narrow trails on the edge of a cliff. The only thing better than that is if it's really off-camber, especially leaning sharply to the cliff side! Sorry I missed it. Thanks everyone for a fun day.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                I'm really sorry that I missed Clarks Grade, cause everyone knows that I love steep narrow trails on the edge of a cliff. The only thing better than that is if it's really off-camber, especially leaning sharply to the cliff side! Sorry I missed it. Thanks everyone for a fun day.

Mitch
                I hear you on that!
                Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by scherf68 View Post
                  Roger forgot to mention about the tree frogs my girl heard (:.
                  That was Hormel Chili tree frogs...
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by xthread View Post
                    rodger ,looks like you had a great day out there and you deserve it .if you look at the map over toward hwy 38 theres a trail 2n93 that goes out to hwy 38 ,then you go down 38 to 1n04 which leads to 2n06 which leads to 2n10 and back to lake .makes for a full day and some great scenery too .have to try that out sometime .!!!!!p.s dont forget to let me know so i can go too !!
                    John, I'm VERY familiar with 2N93! It is a great trail, lots of beautiful country. Yeah, I'll keep in touch and let you know when we put another trip together.

I'm interested in 1N09. Have you been on that trail?

Roger
                    MJR moderator
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

vet,s run

No sir i havnt .twice a year we go camping to serrano campground and we just pick a trail on the map and go for it .

Comment

Jim,

I've heard a bunch of descriptions about Rogers little problem, but Tree Frogs is a new one. I hope that Kaley won't be afraid to be in the forest, cause this happens in the desert, at his house, camping ..... Beware

Mitch

Comment

Yup......

......those were some HUGE sounding frogs, and they had really bad breath too....Had a great time, was a perfect day with a great group. I took a bunch of pics I will post up tonight....I hope.....

Thanks again Roger and the group...
                          John & Kristi

Comment

Working...
                          X