Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Baja California, the Race, the Dream…

Baja California, the Race, the Dream…

As any off-road guy, I have been dreaming about doing Baja since I was a kid, when I was playing with my Matchbox models. The fact that I moved to California just put me in the right place to make that dream a reality. I received the call last week. Scott had an open seat on his prerunner and I filled it promptly. The race itself looks outside of this world, mainly for the high cost of racing, more than anything else. You must have the toys (tow truck, trailer and buggy), a crew, cost of gas and traveling expenses, and last but not least, the time for preparation and the race. Getting all these elements is not as easy as you may think.
    The plan was conservative, but great anyways. We did the pre-run, which means that we followed the circuit with some other racers and we avoided doing the tracks for ourselves, which is not a smart move.

On Sat 11/01 we did Mexicali to Borrego (133 miles). Then, we "camp" at San Felipe.
    On Sun 11/02 "we" fixed the frame's cracks on the prerunner during the morning and then we did the San Felipe loop (121 miles). We towed the prerunner to Borrego and from there to Santo Tomas (155 miles). We "camp" somewhere in Bahia Soledad. (I don't remember the name of the place).
    On Mon 11/03 we did Santo Tomas to Ojos Negros to Mexicali (142 miles). We loaded the trailers with the buggies there and drove back to OC.

I’m so glad that I finally did it. Next time, I’ll bring a “manssier”. Damn. Double-Damn. That is the only thing that I can complain about it, and it is 100% my fault. I totally understand my girlfriends complaining about my driving skills going to Playa Paraiso, back in Venezuela, and it was for few miles at moderate speed.

Roberto L. Miranda

pics??? I'm working on it...
    Last edited by Roberto Miranda; 11-05-08, 04:57 PM.

some pics... have fun!!!

http://www.yopo4x4.com/index.php?mod=page&id=80

Roberto.

Comment

Great Pic's Roberto! How did you protect your camera in the buggy while you were going through the rougher stuff?
      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I was using a pocket camera, the cannon Power Shot SD790IS… it doesn’t bother me at all…

it was on my hand or inside the pocket...

Comment

Working...
        X