Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Veteran's Day Big Bear Run 11/11/08

[COLOR="Red"]The National Forests in honor of America's Vets are opening the forests to vets with no fees on Veteran's Day![/COLOR]

So in honor of all you vet's here on MJR, if there's enough interest, let me know if you are interested in exploring the 2N10 area. This is the area between Moon Ridge and HWY 38.

I realize it's a work-day for a lot of MJR folks.

This isn't limited just Vet's. Those that respect, admire, & are thankful to vets are encouraged to come also!

Let me know if you are interested
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

You would THINK I'd have this day off wouldn't you? But Nooooooo.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
      You would THINK I'd have this day off wouldn't you? But Nooooooo.
      That's because you've dedicated your life to keeping me free... I truly thank you for that from the bottom of my heart.
      MJR moderator
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Yeah, kind sucks service folks have to work on the holiday, but like Jack Nicholson says" YOU NEED US ON THAT WALL, YOU WANT US ON THAT WALL". Sleep tight America...

Nick, A beer for you tonight my freind.

Ooops, almost forgot, I'll be outta town so I can't join you Roger. But thanks from the bottom of my NAVY blue heart.
        USN Diver (ret)
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

That's Rat, Thank you for your service to your country.

BTW, I have a co-worker of 18 years who is my age who was a Marine and was in the Tet Offensive. Every Year on Veteran's Day for the past 18 years I have thanked him for his service. It's almost time for me to thank him again...
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
            That's because you've dedicated your life to keeping me free... I truly thank you for that from the bottom of my heart.
            And thank you Roger, for exercising that right by voting and holding our representatives accountable.

As they say, no rest for the wicked.
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

My respect to all Vets!

I'm having a tough time finding info on 2N10. Where is this trail? What's the difficulty? Is it scenic?

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

ooohh...nevermind I found it! Let me read up since I;m off that day and probably wouldnt mind taking wifey to the mountains if its a nice calm drive. If its rough and rocky...then I'll still bring the wife but just won't tell her!

Skyline Drive (Big Bear)
                From Dirtopia, The Off-Road Encyclopedia
                Jump to: navigation, search

Big Bear Trail MapSkyline Drive in Big Bear, California starts at the end of Aspen Drive in Big Bear City, near Bear Mountain. This trail is also known as 2N10. It heads east towards Castle Rock, Champion Lodgepole Pine and then down Mill Creek towards Big Bear Lake. Trails that veer off of it are 2N17, 2N86, 2N11, 1N54, 2N51Y and 2N06.
                This trail closes in the winter.

Maps and GPS Coordinates
                Skyline Drive (Big Bear) Coordinates: 34.220602° -116.901332° Coordinates: 34.220602° -116.901332°

Satellite image from Google Maps, Windows Live Local, WikiMapia
                Street map from Google Maps, or Yahoo! Maps, or Windows Live Local
                Topographic map from TopoZone
                Aerial image or topographic map from TerraServer-USA
                Find nearby Geocaching locations
                Find this location with Google Earth
                Retrieved from "http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Skyline_Drive_%28Big_Bear%29"

Comment

Hey MrBash.

I have not been on the trail but it's known as a "truck trail" so I'm guessing it should be easy to moderate. The area is very beautiful though and it should be a good trip. Great 88 is coming over tomorrow and we may pre-run it. If we do, I'll post up what we find. It will probably be pretty cold at least in the morning. So you'll want to be prepared for that.

Tomorrow night or Saturday morning I'll post up the meeting place, time cb channel and etc.

How about the rest of you? Is anyone else interested going going???
                  MJR moderator
                  Jeep Patrol Leader
                  Reforestation Supervisor
                  Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                  Eagle Scout

Comment

Hey MrBash.

I have not been on the trail but it's known as a "truck trail" so I'm guessing it should be easy to moderate. The area is very beautiful though and it should be a good trip. Great 88 is coming over tomorrow and we may pre-run it. If we do, I'll post up what we find. It will probably be pretty cold at least in the morning. So you'll want to be prepared for that.

Tomorrow night or Saturday morning I'll post up the meeting place, time cb channel and etc.

How about the rest of you? Is anyone else interested going going???

Hi Roger, I can't join you on Tuesday, but I can say that 2N10 is an easy trail with great views:

Another loop off of 2N10 is Clark's Grade (1N54) down to 1N04 and across to Radford Truck Trail (2N06) back up to 2N10. It's a nice drive and mostly all easy.

Clark's grade is a cool shelf-trail with excellent views:

1N04 has some water small watercrossings before it joins 2N06 and climbs up through a small burned area near the top:

No matter where you travel, I'm sure that you will have a wonderful Veteran's Day trip.
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Great photos & info, thanks Mike for posting. Aren't you getting the flu or something? Perhaps you should call in "sick" on Tuesday and join us. The fresh mountain air will heal you right up (I won't tell your boss)
                      MJR moderator
                      Jeep Patrol Leader
                      Reforestation Supervisor
                      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                      Eagle Scout

Comment

Great photos & info, thanks Mike for posting. Aren't you getting the flu or something? Perhaps you should call in "sick" on Tuesday and join us. The fresh mountain air will heal you right up (I won't tell your boss)
                        I wish that I could, but Tuesday is a big day for us at work.
                        The area is really nice. Off of the 2N10 loop is a short hiking trail that I want to explore one of these days. At the West end of the loop is a side trail marked 2N11. Supposedly, a mile down the trail is a marked parking area for the Champion Lodgepole Pine trail. It is a 30 minute hike to the largest Lodgepine Pine known. The whole grove is supposed to be McDonald's Super-Sized.
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

Great pics Malachi. I think I'll be joining you roger....I'm not 100% just yet but most likey its a yes. I would love a good day out in the woods.

Would you mind if I brought along my propane grill with some armenian barbeque? Will we have time to spend one-hour grilling some good meat and chicken or so in a nice view area on the trail? I really hope so because that would make the run just complete!!!! Let me know!

-Shant

Comment

Roger,

Tell Mr Bash to make Armenian Barbeque, but if he pulls out his pot and starts making Khash you are in trouble! You will smell like garlic for a week, but you will also be very happy! Shant, take good care of Roger.

Mike, nice photo's always...

Mitch

Comment

Vet Day

...ifin you don't mind I might be there for this one. I have the day, Mon too, off but the wife does not so maybe a drive in the forest would be just the ticket for the day........
                              John & Kristi

Comment

Working...
                              X