Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Friday afternoon run

My weekends have been committed to fixing some personal family problems and I needed a couple hours today in the Jeep as a deversion. I headed north on the 15 Fwy to Stoddard Wells / Apple Valley exit. I have seen a couple of mine shafts on my topo's that were right off the side of the freeway. I found the 4 shafts and a partially covered mine tunnel that was less than 100' from the freeway lanes! Nothing major, but still interesting. Next I headed to an area that I've been to before to furthur explore. As I get more adventerous and more brave I find myself finding more and more things at previously checked out areas. Well, there is this mine tunnel that I have have been to many times. Inside the tunnel was a steel door that had been forced open long ago. I've been inside maybe a 100 feet and it looked kinda basic. Well this time I just kept walking and found a second steel door that had also been forced open, and I kept walking about a total of 300' and came to a split in the tunnel. There is 5 different tunnels off this intersection, left, right, 2 that angle up and 1 that looks like is continues down. Lots of wood shoring in each of these side adits. I do know that when they are holding the rock ceiling inplace with timber (boards), it's probly not real stable! So I did not venture out of the main hard rock tunnel. When I was leaving at was dusk and I wanted to be back towards the freeway and on flat ground just incase. What a relaxing end to the work week. The city lights were awesome on the way back to town. Still much more to explore here.

Mitch

Verticle shaft with the 15 Fwy in view

Wood shoring in a different mine shaft

This is where it get's a little bit hairy!

A nice Arrastra at the mine site

Looking towards the 15 Fwy and Apple Valley

This might be the verticle shaft / vent to the deep tunnel that I was in earlier

Checking to see what's holding up the ceiling!

Strolling through the mine tunnel
    Last edited by Mitch; 10-31-08, 08:37 PM.

You didnt see any mohave greens did you.?

Comment

What a great(88) way to end the work week!

Mitch - remember I now have Friday's off...
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Beau,

I did not see any snakes. With overnight temps around 50' and the cooler day temps they might be sleeping till spring. I always keep an eye out for snakes when I'm exploring a mine, and despite all that I've read, I have never seen a snake in a mine tunnel. It makes sence to me that they would seek shelter, but I'm still looking.

As we all know, jeeping and or exploring mines alone is not real smart. But I am extra careful and alert, and was prepared to stay warm and spend the night if something happened. With the big 45' auto on my hip, I'm never truly alone.

Roger,

This was a last minute thing at 3:30pm, other wise I would have called you for sure!

Mitch
        Last edited by Mitch; 11-01-08, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Mitch that is cool. I wished i lived closer to areas like these
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...
          X