Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Panamint Valley

Just got home from a great weekend of wheeling in Panamint Valley.

Thursday, Roger (Roger), Dale (Phoenix), Chuck (non-MJR), Bill (non-MJR), and myself met in Ballarat and set up camp.

Friday we hit Goler Wash up to the Newman Cabin, then on to the Barker Ranch.

My friend Chuck use to work for Barker, and Chuck has a very extensive knowledge of the history of this area. We had a CB history lesson, similar to a Disneyland Tram ride. From there, we proceeded up to Mengle Pass. geology cabin, striped butte, out to the Death Valley floor.

After hitting the highway, we headed north through Furnace Creek, through Stovepipe Wells, and back around to Ballarat. 180 miles total, waaay tooo long!

In Furnace Creek, I ran into my first problem...actually, the problem ran into me!

Not paying attention: 1 dented tailgate. Dale, Phoenix suffered a broken bumper (it was wood!), 2 dented fenders, 2 broken KC Lites, and tore his frame rail. As a act of forgiveness, he allowed us to burn his bumper.

Unfortunately, Roger started having some running issues, and could not join us going up Pleasant Cyn and down South Park. We were camped next to a young guy that worked at Briggs Mine, so he joined us on his Motorcycle.

I have to say, Chicken corner (or whatever it is known as), is a mind trick!!

All in all, a great weekend of offroading!

excellent pics. is this the same area as the days run?
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Looks like a great trip! Sorry to hear that Roger had Jeep problems, I know that wanted to run Pleasant Canyon. Be careful when you refer to "young guys" on the run, it makes some Jeepers nervous. I will have to do this trip someday soon!

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
        excellent pics. is this the same area as the days run?
        This is not Panamint Valley Days...that is on Nov. 7th. Yes, they do have runs going to Goler, Pleasant, and South Park.

Mitch, Roger asked me to take some pics of this for you:

Comment

Steve,

I hope that you have more pictures. The mechanical ARRASTRA is awesome. Gives a new meaning to the Donkey/Mule driven Arrastra's, that we find local, which are much different. Thank you.

Mitch

Comment

Even though I had problems, It was a great trip. The run through Goler Cyn is awesome!
            The guys were just great, we spent a couple of hours under my hood trying to solve the problem. But to to avail. They weren't going to go up Pleasant Cyn without me. I finally told them to go or they wouldn't get back before dark.

All wasn't lost, I walked over to the little store there in Ballarat and enjoyed visiting and old desert rat that has mined the area for over 40 years. We sat on the porch in the shade and I listened to some great stories he shared about the area.

BTW, Steve, Dale, and the rest of the guys on the trip were all excellent people. I'll be ready to go with them anytime!
            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
            MJR moderator
            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
            Jeep Patrol Leader
            Reforestation Supervisor
            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
            Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
            X