Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: ProRock's Women's Nationals Nov. 8th-9th

[COLOR="Magenta"]Come and see Becca Webster compete in the ProRock Superlift Women's Nationals!!![/COLOR]
    Cougar Buttes
    Lucerne Valley, CA
    November 8 - 9, 2008

----------------------------------------
    Saturday - Nov. 8th
    Cougar Buttes
    Competition/Gates Open 9am
    Projected end of Competition 4pm
    --------------------------------
    Sunday - Nov. 9th
    Cougar Buttes
    Competition/Gates Open 9am
    Projected end of Competition 3pm
    Awards Ceremony Immediately following Competition
    ----------------------------------

[COLOR="Red"]Admission is usually $10 adults and I believe $5 for kids[/COLOR]

Anyone else interested in going??? I was thinking about camping for the weekend so I could get some wheeling in outside of the competitions.

Is there any specific reason that they have a seperate Women's category/event? I get it when it comes to physical sports like basketball, MMA, etc . . . but driving??? We've all heard the jokes about women drivers . . . doesn't having a seperate event kinda play into that steriotype? Just curious . . . struck me as odd that Becca and others wouldn't be out there with the boys giving them a run for their money.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Yes, from what I understand is this event is strictly women to raise money to fight breast cancer.

Comment

I might be able to get out there for Sunday. Not sure yet.

Ron
        2005 Unlimited - 4.5 RE superflex - Rancho 9000's - 35 x 12.50 x 15 Geolanders - Riverside, Ca.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
          We've all heard the jokes about women drivers . . .
          I know this is a genuine and respectable question, so I'm not reacting in any sort of defensive way, okay?

I have had the fortune to train a small number of women in various off road driving scenarious and have found some interesting characteristics that seem consistent in the dozen or so I've worked with. These are just observations, and not meant to paint all women with the same broad brush (oh, sorry about the pun!).

1. Unlike most men, these women all had excellent to outstanding throttle control. Watching a woman creep her rig over a rock is a lesson in control.

2. Unlike some men, these woman could not instinctively see "the line" when sizing up an obstacle. They can be taught, and there's nothing magical about it, but none of them had any perceptible intuitive instinct for it. I found that odd.

3. In sand, most of the women struggled with using enough throttle and understanding momentum initially.

4. They all responded better to a somewhat different method of spotting that what I normally employ. With most guys, I would provide input when they needed to change whatever they were doing. With the women, they wanted continuous input throughout the obstacle, even if that means telling to keep coming forward, left, whatever.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting at the time.
          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Hey guys,

Yea they should all be in the same category! With that said. Julie took me over a year ago as a passenger where I still won't take my own Jeep (great88) today. Sometimes the girls like to see the girls play alone. This is a fun area to play in during the event or after.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
              I know this is a genuine and respectable question, so I'm not reacting in any sort of defensive way, okay?

I have had the fortune to train a small number of women in various off road driving scenarious and have found some interesting characteristics that seem consistent in the dozen or so I've worked with. These are just observations, and not meant to paint all women with the same broad brush (oh, sorry about the pun!).

1. Unlike most men, these women all had excellent to outstanding throttle control. Watching a woman creep her rig over a rock is a lesson in control.

2. Unlike some men, these woman could not instinctively see "the line" when sizing up an obstacle. They can be taught, and there's nothing magical about it, but none of them had any perceptible intuitive instinct for it. I found that odd.

3. In sand, most of the women struggled with using enough throttle and understanding momentum initially.

4. They all responded better to a somewhat different method of spotting that what I normally employ. With most guys, I would provide input when they needed to change whatever they were doing. With the women, they wanted continuous input throughout the obstacle, even if that means telling to keep coming forward, left, whatever.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting at the time.
              I agree with all but #2. My wife is amazing at seeing lines that I missed that make the trail more fluid; she always has been. Part of that is that she REALLY dislikes being off-camber or at risk of floppng. She is willing to try a line that I discount because there aren't tire tracks. I have learned from her that the line least taken is at least in need of consideration. And sometimes...., it's the best challenge!

On another note, my 74 year old mother went on a 'mild' black diamond trail with us in Big Bear. It only took a few obstacles before she started to realize the best lines along the trail. The next time that she comes out, I plan to let her drive Dishpan! But she isn't like most folks her age, she wants BULLETS for her guns for Christmas!
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

If this Becca is the lady that did the demonstration at the offroad show she rocks that gal has a hell of a nice rock crawler and she sure knows how to use it

Comment

I just found it odd to hear that there was a seperate Women's category . . . sounds like it might be more of a one off event to support a good cause. But then again . . . who loves tata's more than men??? I'd imagine that some of the men would be up for a save the tatas event too . . . wouldn't they get more partisipation, donations, etc by being inclusive?
                  That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Today was an awesome day out at Cougar Buttes. It was quite a smaller turnout than I expected, but seemed to be way more fun! After Becca was done with her last course and filming interviews, I asked if I could ride back to camp with her. She said, "How about you drive the Rockher?" Saaa-wweeetttt!!! I was in and buckled up so fast...it was amazing! I got to drive thru some parts of the courses, which was another dream come true. Made me want to compete even more then ever now!! I did run into Stuart and his little boy Logan, who I lifted up and let him sit in the Rockher for a picture. He was so CUTE! And I saw Scott and his family which was nice to finally meet them.
                    Before dinner Becca had to do some more filming for a new show coming out called "Roll With It" on the Outdoor Channel. One of the camera men was exhausted from the day and asked if I would take him out in the Desert Jewel because he had never ridden in a Jeep before and this whole idea of off-roading was new to him. I was honored, disconnected the sway bars and aired down...all along explaining why. I got him all buckled in the 5-point harness and away we went. I tootled around on the courses staying within sight of the camps in case we got in trouble. I got stuck pretty good but managed to rock us loose. Then I was trying to get us out of a canyon and was completing off-camber ready for the DJ to flop for the first time. She is just too amazing with the articulation and what she can handle. We made it thru and he asked if the DJ could go fast like Becca's Jeep. Sooo...I showed him. Becca was racing her Jeep on the road next to us and coming toward us while we raced going toward her. It was awesome!! He couldn't believe how fast we went over the whoops, turning corners, and sliding in the dirt/sand. Needless to say, his wife has a Cherokee and he has all kinds of plans now!!!
                    Am planning on heading back out there tomorrow! Can't wait to play again.

Comment

Working...
                    X