Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Meandering Around Means Dry Lake

So my wife and I were camping at Means Dry Lake this weekend with some friends and our two nephews. Most everyone (except me) were riding quads. We were exploring the area to the N/E of the lake by the sand dunes and I was on a trail covered in sand.

To make a long story short, the sand gave way and I started to slide sideways down the side of the hill, kinda like Russ Chung did awhile back. Anyway it felt like it! I couldn't go forward or backwards because of the soft sand. There was another parallel trail just below the one we were on. I had my nephew get out and I backed down the steep slope and got on the lower trail okay. Somewhere in that area, unbeknown to me my cluch linkage fell out. I was already commited going down a steep trail and I didn't stop until we got to the bottom.

I started to drive back to camp and as we crossed Means Lake, I decided to stop a rather large group that had rock crawlers to see if any of them had any cluch linkage parts.

I'm now to the reason I'm posting this, the first guy I met thought he did, and he did! His name is Mike from Simi Valley who used to be active on MJR and still check in occasionally looking for local runs. He drives a yellow '73 CJ5. He wouldn't take any $$ for the parts and just asked that I help the next guy! Well I told him that this must be good karma for me because I have never passed up anyone that needed help. So he gets my vote for Jeeper of the year! Anyway, if any of you know him, tell him what a great guy he is!

BTW, I ordered new parts this morning and I'll keep the other ones for a spare for when I meet up with someone who needs 'em!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Originally posted by Roger View Post
    BTW, I ordered new parts this morning and I'll keep the other ones for a spare for when I meet up with someone who needs 'em!
    I've had the linkage fall out on the CJ a few times...I'm hoping to go hydraulic in the future. That linkage has let me down at the worst times...much like yours sounds like it did.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

linkage

hey roger .anyway to drill a hole and run a small cable to the jeep so you dont lose it ?????

Comment

Originally posted by xthread View Post
        hey roger .anyway to drill a hole and run a small cable to the jeep so you dont lose it ?????
        That's what SARJeeper Steve suggested also!! I'm going to take you guys advice - Thanks!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

You can order one of these for like $60 or make your own for less than $10.

I'll show you how simple it is on Thursday Roger!

Comment

Working...
          X