Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: 2n17x

Fred and me went out to play yesterday on the 2n17x trail near silverwood lake dam. We had a great time with very nice weather, Fred tried to tackle the steepest climb and could not get over the top, which didn;t suprise me I tried the same thing 4 weeks ago and had to use the winch to drag me over the top, when I surveyed the situation at that time I figured that even with 35's you would not get over the humb just before the top, some over zealous 4 wheelers just dug it up to much, most of the climb is very loose sandy and gravely stuff and near the top there is something like ledge but its not really solid rock so it digs up fairly easily. Needles to say his well equiped Rubicon did not get past the obstacle, so he backed down the hill, which is not fun the thing is steep and has lots of loose stuff takes a bit of care to not loose control
    It does not look all that bad from this perspective

I thought I could

Going back down the hill

here you ccan see how light the front is backing down the hill very little control of the steering

This is my favorite part of the trail nice and shady

after finishing the trail we turned left on the fire road to get to the pilor rock area where there are to nice rock formations to play on had some fun draging and bumping around on those and then we headed back to hwy 138 aired up and went home. Had a shaky ride home the rear driveshaft ended up having either a bad U joint or the ball and cup in the cv joint are daqmaged will take it apart today to see what happend

Great pic's art.let me know what you found on your
    noise. After trying that climb I look underneath
    to see what hung up. looks like I bottomed out on
    rear part of belly pan. maybe more lift or
    clearance I would have cleared that hump.I sent the
    pic's I had to you.
    You can make it

Comment

Thanks Fred, it looks like the cv joint in the rear bought the farm the ball part has a lot of slop will go see the driveline shop tomorow to either buy the part or have them put it back together clearance it a bit more and balance it. The latter seems to be the better option
      Also a couple of pics of fun at pilot rock

or the whole shebang
      http://public.fotki.com/aw12345/saturday-wheeling/
      Last edited by aw12345; 10-12-08, 01:52 PM. Reason: add pictures

Comment

The line is way left. If you go up the ruts you'll do what you did; go belly...
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Way left is a straight wall, I tried the far right wall to get up on but it would slide back in the ruts
          Last edited by aw12345; 10-12-08, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I made it up a little over a year ago with less ground clearence. But about 6 month agp i didnt make it. My buddy say my diffs center skid and rear tank skid all bottomed out. You got too have at least 35" tires or a longer wb to make it. I had too break out my winch. The guy behind me got stuck in the loose dirt on the bottom. When he went too back down lost control and fliped his cherokee over right on the big wooden barriers at the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
              Way left is a straight wall, I tried the far right wall to get up on but it would slide back in the ruts
              Yep, driver tire up on the left wall and passenger on the hump. Slip and slide and claw but I made it a couple of times. I think it's harder now then before VV4wheelers knocked that down a bit. I think it softened it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                I made it up a little over a year ago with less ground clearence. But about 6 month agp i didnt make it. My buddy say my diffs center skid and rear tank skid all bottomed out. You got too have at least 35" tires or a longer wb to make it. I had too break out my winch. The guy behind me got stuck in the loose dirt on the bottom. When he went too back down lost control and fliped his cherokee over right on the big wooden barriers at the bottom.
                Wow! I helped build that barrier. Tough SOB. Glad your freind didn't get hurt. That hill can be hairy...

Comment

The upper one on the left makes a great winch anchor
                  Thanks for putting it there

Comment

I got up there in may this year with a bit of work but gave up 4 weeks ago when I tried again its loose stuff and way dug up just before the hump. Knocking down the hump some with a shovel and pick ax might do the trick, you are right to that thing is hairy, the front gets pretty light and to much screwing around might not be a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post

The line is way left. If you go up the ruts you'll do what you did; go belly...
                      Its all Malachi fault. A few months back on a night run, he made all those holes. LOL. I was waiting my turn, and I yelled on the radio, hey Mike, your just making it harder for me. With a big S#@t eating grin, he gives me the thumbs up. He pulled out the winch, and with a little tug, he went up and over. Needed bigger tires. My partner and I pretty well walked right over it. So I say it's Mikes fault, LOL, Kevin.

Comment

Originally posted by 1 Bad F N Z View Post
                        Its all Malachi fault. A few months back on a night run, he made all those holes. LOL. I was waiting my turn, and I yelled on the radio, hey Mike, your just making it harder for me. With a big S#@t eating grin, he gives me the thumbs up. He pulled out the winch, and with a little tug, he went up and over. Needed bigger tires. My partner and I pretty well walked right over it. So I say it's Mikes fault, LOL, Kevin.
                        Hey! ...ummm... well maybe....
                        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                        [/COLOR]

Comment

yup seems to me 37's ought to make it a cake walk

Comment

when we went out and werked on it (the V V 4 W) all we did was shave the middle diff catching rock, and take a lip off of the vertical rock on the right side because it was capturing tires on that side. I went up and down the thing several times with my 35" tires that day to make sure it was passable, and it was. I don't think that we made it looser, but the composition of that hill is pretty loose.

I don't think those barriers were made for winch points, we could only put them in the ground a few feet, I would NOT use them as a winch point!
                            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Working...
                            X