Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: A day in Anza-Borrego

Well its been a few months since I've gotten out to the desert. But October is here and its cooling down! So in preperation for an event later this month I rode shotgun with a friend in his FJ. I didn't want to risk getting too hot in the old YJ. But hey, my Jeep was there in spirit!

We ran Vallecito Wash, Carrizo Creek, Arroyo Seco Del Diablo Canyon, Diablo dropoff, Fish Creek/Split Mountain, down past Superstition, Painted Gorge, Carrizo Mountain, Devil's Canyon, Dos Cabezas, Jojoba Wash and Oriflamme. A great, long day!

Here's a little something I put together-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKi9EUDNiJQ
    Last edited by Borregowrangler; 10-06-08, 10:52 PM.

Great video!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Very cool! What canyon/wash was that first segment shot in? What broke off in that last segment, almost looked like a horn?
      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
        Very cool! What canyon/wash was that first segment shot in? What broke off in that last segment, almost looked like a horn?
        I have to second this... I haven't found that trail in the Anza-Borrego area yet, but sure would like to!

That is quite a capable FJ. But a snorkle in the desert? They are only CALLED washes.

But no matter what, I would be willing to follow him at night. I don't know anyone with 10 forward lights! That's daylight for the guy behind him. I just never want to spot for him after dark....

All joking aside, GREAT video! You show stuff that I have missed in my couple of visits to the area. It really makes me want to see if I can make it to BorregoFest 08!

Nice job.
        [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
        Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
        [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
          That is quite a capable FJ. But a snorkle in the desert? They are only CALLED washes.
          Raised air intake. Cuts down on the dust ingestion...or so they told me when I installed mine :-)
          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
            That was Arroyo Seco Del Diablo Canyon, where part of the canyon wall had collapsed. It intersects Vallecito Wash and parallels Arroyo Tapiado Canyon.

Yeah, that was his PA that came loose. And the snorkle actually took a beating in the thick brush while running through Carrizo Creek.

Snorkles also help keep water out when it splashes up into the engine bay from the tires.

Thanks guys, it was a blast!
            Last edited by Borregowrangler; 10-08-08, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Cool vid.
              Devil's Canyon is closed.
              imho I rather doubt that rig could do DC unscathed, if it could do it at all.
              if it did.... that trail alone would be a very long day.
              my $.02

Comment

Originally posted by robert-r View Post
                Cool vid.
                Devil's Canyon is closed.
                imho I rather doubt that rig could do DC unscathed, if it could do it at all.
                if it did.... that trail alone would be a very long day.
                my $.02
                Thanks. We just walked a little ways into Devil's Canyon. But I was wondering if it is closed why there aren't any signs saying so? There are quite a few tracks heading up into it and they're usually pretty good about posting up where you can't travel.

Comment

Working...
                X