Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: San Sevaine - Sunset Run

TRAIL REPORT: San Sevaine Trail (1N34)

Finally! I live within sight of this trail but have never been able to drive it since it was closed back in 2005. Since it recently reopened, I have been jones-ing for an opportunity to go see my house from the mountains.

Xthread (John & daughter), Roger, and Sharon & I met at the Arco at the I-15 and Sierra Ave. We headed to the trailhead to air-down and disconnect. The shadows of the mountains were starting to stretch across the Lytle Creek Canyon as we got started:

Just before we started to head out, I spied this little guy:

It was a tiny little Western Diamondback, probably only about 9 inches long. He was very sluggish in the cool air and I was concerned about him being in the road, so I used Roger's shovel and scooped him up. I put him well off the road. I just hope that the little tike some day grows into proportion with his head!

(Hey Rat Patrol! You missed it. This guy was sooo cute with his tiny body and big-ol' head. I'm sure that you would have just tucked him in your pocket and took him home to keep the pests off your boat!)

On the way up the mountain there are some nice views over the IE. Unfortunately, the haze after last night's rain hadn't completely disappeared:

While it was still light, we stopped to try to find the indian morteros along side of the trail. We were in luck and found two of them and they were much deeper than I had expected. This one was about 12 inches deep:

The sun was starting to fade and there weren't any clear shots of the sunset along the portion of the trail that we were on at the time. I caught this shot as the sun rays were starting to fade:

The valley was just starting to light up:

At the campground, we ran into FishPOET (Doug) and his daughter in her 4-door JK:

From the campground, the trail is very clearly blocked:

Doug says that there is also a gate further up the blocked trail. I was so surprised to see FishPOET at the campground, that I forgot to go looking for the famous Big Tree near there. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go again! :wink:

We hung around and talked for a while as the light faded. It got down right COLD! after dark. As we chatted another TJ came to the campground. A nice jeeper named Les hung out with us for a little bit before we all headed back down the mountain.

I stopped to get a pic of the city lights with the area that my house is at in the pic, but most of the pics turned out slightly blurry. This is probably the best of the lot:

But this one has better lights:

This a nice easy trail with great views of the IE valley and the Cajon Pass / high desert. The sad areas that burned are offset by some beautiful untouched areas that remain. It was a busy trail on our way up. There were several pick-up trucks heading back down before dark. My guess is that they were hunters returning home.

This is a nice excursion when you just want an easy, relaxing place to take a drive in the mountains. Thanks Roger, John, and Doug for helping to make this an enjoyable evening for Sharon and I.

All my pics can be seen at this link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...-5-08/?start=0
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Mike,

It was great to run with you, Sharon, John & his girl, and how cool was that to meet up with Doug & his daughter! I did stop at In-n-Out on my way home and I got a cheeseburger & fries! It was especially tastey!

I almost forgot! Mitch (Great 88) met us at the ARCO station. He was on his way home from Long Beach and stopped by to say hi to us. Of course we discussed his encounter with the Ranger Saturday at Cleghorn.

See ya on the next run!
    Last edited by Roger; 10-06-08, 04:26 AM. Reason: (Include Great 88)
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

Mike,

Again, another great report. I should have drove the Crown Victoria on the trail. I'm sure the boss would have loved to see pictures of that!! You will have to fill me in on the history of the area next time we talk. I can picture Kurt, driving along with the little rattler in his shirt pocket just to keep him warm and safe. It was nice meeting you John, we'll have to do a run soon,and I'll try to stay out of trouble. Roger, thank you for offering your passenger seat.

Mitch

Comment

Hi Mike and Sharone. Was planning on joining you guys Sunday with my Grand Cherokee. Got home Sunday from Portland, and had absolutly no plans at all. (Boring) Then my daughter showed up with her family in tow to visit. Then Scott and Tracy showed up with my Granddaughters in tow, with a case of beer. Next we raided the freezer, and everybody pitched in and a family dinner started forming. Fire up the BBQ, and pull out the Wine and Rum. What a nice day, that went well into the night. Scott and Tracy spending the night in the motorhome, and grand kids spread out all over the couches and floor. Didn't get any four wheeling in, but talked a lot of shit. Hopefully be getting my weekends off again so I can hook up with you guys, Kevin.

Comment

san savaine run

thanks mike and sharon for a fun little run up the mountain.nice meetin you mitch ,. wish you would of came along .roger it was fun hearing you on the c.b. .nice little history lesson about the ??? rocks .taylee said you guys were cool .hope to wheel again soon .thanks again !!!!! oh and nice meetin you fish poet .p.s. where we going next ?????? sat night this time .

Comment

Mike,
            Nice report. Thanks. I would like to go so when you want to do this run again let me know. As a matter of fact, I'll be up in BB with Nick Friday for a pre-run on 3N93, so maybe another evening run?

I already came up with a name for this guy: SLUGGO! I wonder if he gets sea sick...
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by xthread View Post
              thanks mike and sharon for a fun little run up the mountain.nice meetin you mitch ,. wish you would of came along .roger it was fun hearing you on the c.b. .nice little history lesson about the ??? rocks .taylee said you guys were cool .hope to wheel again soon .thanks again !!!!! oh and nice meetin you fish poet .p.s. where we going next ?????? sat night this time .
              John, great running with you also and thanks for being the tailgunner! I'll take it next trip if you like. That way we'll be taking turns on eating the dust!
              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
              MJR moderator
              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
              X