This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: **Important Cleghorn Update**

A group of 5 Jeeps meet today at Cleghorn and the 15 Fwy to run Cleghorn Ridge Trail 2N47. Mitch (great88), Clay (TJClay), Lee with sons Harry and Tyler (YJ), Jason (Calfireguy), Ron and his son (Unlimited). We aired down and I led the run up the switch backs to the good stuff! We took the fist bypass trail and crawled up the moguls and climbs till the trail met up with the regular road. Waiting and the bottom of the by-pass was a pair of gentleman from the SBNF ORV Volunteers and their official truck. They told me that we were on an illegal trail and asked if we would please wait till the ranger arrived. I said that would be no problem and remained friendly and we all had a good discussion with the Volunteers. About 10 minutes later ranger "Kathy Pratt" arrived and privately got the details from the volunteers. When Ranger Kathy approached, she explained that only the main dirt road was open for vehilcle travel and that any other trail was illegal for use. I did carefully explain the fact that we had trash bags and actively picked up trash on the trail, that we volunteered time with BLM at both Calico and El Mirage, as well as AAT efforts with SBNF and others. She liked the fact that we cared, and admitted a lack of ANY SIGNAGE designating the trail from side trails. She asked for our co-operation and thanked us for hepling keep the trail clean, and went on her way. The volunteers said that any attitude would have been met with sitations and that she has been giving them out. He also thanked us and said have a safe day.

I took responsibility for leading this run with this group of friends. That I could have gotten them in trouble bothers me and I'm sorry for that.

This trail is written up in 5 trail books that I own. All 5 trails books talk about the "2" rated main trail and the "4-8" rated side trails. Nowhere on this trail does it say that the firebreak/trails are off limits nor is it marked anywhere from the 15 Fwy to Hwy 138 at Silverwood Lake. This is unfortunate to find out this way.

This also is a reminder about our trail attitude, positive non-confrontational approach works well.

Please let others know about stepped up patrols in the area.

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 10-04-08, 09:28 PM.

Hey Ron Here.(Axkick, this is my first post on these boards)..I wanted to say thanks to guys for letting me tag along. Even though Mitch almost got us busted...lol...It was a good day and getting pulled over just adds to the story. I mean you really can't have a bad day when your out Jeepin instead of sitting at home. All those trails do look the same, very hard to tell which is which. I look forward to meeting up with you guys again.

Ron
    2005 Unlimited - 4.5 RE superflex - Rancho 9000's - 35 x 12.50 x 15 Geolanders - Riverside, Ca.

Comment

Thanks Ron,

I didn't know you were on the site!

After the depressing story... We had a combination of drizzle, cold blowing fog, clear sunshine, more cold fog, more drizzle, and more blowing. All in all the afternoon run was fun and a perfect end to a day at the Off-Road show. Thanks again to everyone that went.

Mitch

Comment

Thanks Mitch for leading us on the run that was my trip through Cleghorn. It was good to get away for a couple of hours and meet new people. I just bought my shocks online. lol

Comment

Don't get me started!
          Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I have seen a similer thread on pirate and apparently this is a problem heres a link http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=717496 . Is this ranger correct in what shes saying.If so you would think she(ranger) or someone would post some signs or something. I have been on this trail a few times and never had any problems. Maybe a moderator can get some info on whats going on and why signs havent been posted. I know first hand that mjr dont want us on any illegal trails especially one like "cleghorn" that gets posted almost every week on this forum.
            Last edited by Jeeperator; 10-05-08, 03:26 AM.

Comment

At the beginning of the trail at I15 its marked "stay on marked trails only". The problem is trying to tell what is the actual trail and what are the bypasses as nothing is marked along the trail.
              Mitch, had a good time inspite of that with everyone, see you on the trail again soon.

Clay

Comment

We ran Cleghorn Saturday, got on trail around 9 am. Even talked to a ranger while we were up there. Met her while exiting one of the side trails and were not told to stay on the fire road.
                I agree there are several new trails being cut, you can tell the fresh little burned in ones,and those may be questionable. But I think the ORV guys you saw were a little to zealous about their job.Call the ranger station at Lytle creek, they are in charge of the area
                censored for having an opinion

Comment

After doing some research, I can't find anything about what trails are or are not open on Cleghorn Ridge. I did find article after article listing an easy main trail 2N47 and a more difficult parallel trail desinated as "X2W47". So it did have a SBNF route designation, and the volunteers were wrong in saying that off-roaders created that side trail. It was originally made with a "Cat Dozer" as additional fire break by the CDF. I will stop by the Lytle Creek Ranger station and take my trail books and the articles that I printed and see what they can show me proving that this trail (X2W47) is officially closed. After watching the 20 + clips on "Youtube" and reading the descriptions in my trail books, I'm reading for a run!

Mitch

Comment

Aw man! I sure hope they don't close down a bunch of the side trails. I've yet to get up there.

Comment

I have a call in to the station. Waiting to hear back from them - and will keep everyone posted.
                      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Thanks Sarah.

Comment

Does it say anywhere if Cleghorn is an AAT and if so, who's AAT is it?

Comment

I remember a while back when they were holding the townhall up here in victorville they had a buch of 'Trail Designation' buisiness and wanted input on these trails. I remeber they said then that on Cleghorn we needed to stay on the 'fire road' and that all of the side trails (funstuff) was closed and it was all in the name of erosion control and such. The brush hasnt grown back because everybody uses those side trails. This same 'Trail Designation' is cost us a few trails, the method they used to eliminate the trails was to just leave them off of the map. Mitch, you said that you have maps and guidebooks that talk about these trails, well, we have old maps with all kinds of trails that are not on the NEW maps since the 'Trail Designation' I haven't gotten around to getting any new maps lately, I doubt they are printing them for us. All I see is the photocopied maps drawn in crayon... I don't think a new topo map with all the trails has been made in years...
                            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by HotRodOil.com View Post
                              Does it say anywhere if Cleghorn is an AAT and if so, who's AAT is it?
                              http://www.sbnfa.org/ohvadopt.php

Drifters 4x4
                              Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

Working...
                              X