Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Ride the Ridge! 9:00am Cedar Springs dam

The employees club @ Werk is doing a mixed bag run from Cedar Springs dam up to the Pinnacles and they are planning on having lunch there for employee club members.

The run is on Wednesday, October 15th and starts at the Cedar Springs dam @ 9:00am.

I would normally not post a run like this, but I am going ... and I don't want to be the only Jeep there. I expect 99% of the people going are going to be on quads, rhino's and dirtbikes.

So, if anyone is available to do a day run in the middle of the week I will see you at the Cedar springs dam staging area 8:30am-ish on the 15th.

we can shew some crazy people some sweet jeeps.
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

ok, well it's Sunday before the run and I just came home from the Panamint Valley early because I broke 3 outta 5 springs in my front pack, drivers side, fixed end. We were having a great time wheelin' tho- it got really cold, and snowed, and we got all slidey in the snow... well, anyways, I am going to try to source some springs and get them installed before Wednesday, but I am doubting that will happen, so it is good that nobody has posted up on this run but me.. :wink:

Comment

So where did you go in the Panamints? Did the snow stick? And how did you break your springs?

BTW, I was thinking of taking the day off Wednesday and join you for the run. But I won't be able to. Sounds like you're not going to make it either.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

I am really gonna try to make it! I all ready have a passenger lined up!

We left Thusday and went up through Trona to Balarat and met up with a few more jeeps and then went up to Stone cabin for the night. We hung out until Brigg's cabin came available, and then moved in because We had another group of jeeps coming in Friday night to join us and we needed both cabins. We still ended up with some guys in cots. Well Friday about 3pm we all decided to go up to the lookout, maybe roll over to the Geologist cabin, and then come back by dark of night. We tried to get some phone calls out at the lookout but nobody could. It started to get really cold and windy, we knew the low pressure system was coming in, but nobody expected the rain and snow! we were up by Blue cabin and even the mules were heading down the canyon, so we started down. At some point on the way down I herd a snapping noise, I didn't know what it was... We weren't doing any heavy wheeling, just trail stuff... but before Chicken corner I knew that my jeep wasn't right. The left side was really low, so I jumped out, saw the broken leaf pack- 3 of 5 broke- including the main- and so then went back to Brigg's to have some cold ones and wait for the other guys to roll in. Saturday morning I cut a chunk of wood to support the axle, removed my rubber stop, wedged it in there, threw a ratchet strap on the axle to the frame, and drove 100+ miles home.

Comment

Cold weather and springs don't always get along, I am sure the cold didn't help the springs, makes the steel brittle propably one leaf had a crack in it already though

Comment

Jess, you are welcome to take the Desert Jewel out on Wednesday if you would like!! I know you've been itchin' to show her off to the guys at work...what's better then wheelin' her with them???

BTW - glad you made it home safely.
            Last edited by Desert Jewel; 10-12-08, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Desert Jewel View Post
              Jess, you are welcome to take the Desert Jewel out on Wednesday if you would like!! I know you've been itchin' to show her off to the guys at work...what's better then wheelin' her with them???

BTW - glad you made it home safely.
              Hey now she is a great sister!
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Jesse,

I can see you driving Julies Jeep and then coming home and putting a whole bunch of pretty flower stickers all over Kodiak Spirit! Sorry that I can't sneek away from work on Wednesday.
                Have fun.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  Hey now she is a great sister!
                  Ya, I am, only cuz I know he won't take the DJ....it's the whole coil spring difference!!

Comment

Hey Julie,

He don't like the round eyes either!:smile::tongue::smile:

Wish I could go Jess. Gotta pass.

Scott

Comment

Well, it looks like this might happen... I got a hold of Jason over at Town & Country tire (760) 240-5555 and he is getting new Rubicon Express springs for all four corners of the Spirit, and new U-bolts as well... and over-nightin' them so I can slap them on after werk tomorrow. Quoted me good prices to. if he pulls this off, I am gonna be a T&C customer for a very long time!

Now I gotta figure out how I'm gonna change all 4 springs in time to go wheelin' Wednesday...

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                        Well, it looks like this might happen... I got a hold of Jason over at Town & Country tire (760) 240-5555 and he is getting new Rubicon Express springs for all four corners of the Spirit, and new U-bolts as well... and over-nightin' them so I can slap them on after werk tomorrow. Quoted me good prices to. if he pulls this off, I am gonna be a T&C customer for a very long time!

Now I gotta figure out how I'm gonna change all 4 springs in time to go wheelin' Wednesday...
                        What about the Flower Power stickers Jesse? Don't forget those... Wish I lived closer to ya, I'd be there tonight to help.
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Jesse,

Can you just change the two front springs now and change the rear springs after your run??
                          MJR moderator
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Aw, C'mon Roger where is the fun in THAT?

Yeah, I will start with the fronts, and do the rears if I have tyme. I don't think it will be too tough, I have a high lift jack and a grinder with some cutoff wheels... I am just gonna cutoff the old U bolts, and do the springs one side at a time. I actually just changed the front shackles the other day, so it should be a cake job.

Comment

Jesse,

I liked your field repair, the wood block & cinch strap. I need to remember that!
                              MJR moderator
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X