Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Morongo Basin Sheriff's Search & Rescue Fun Run

Well it's that time again for the 29th annual Morong Basin Sheriff's Search & Rescue Fun Run to be held at Soggy Dry Lake off of Bessimer Mine Rd in San Bernadino County CA. It's for a good cause so everyone come on out and have a good time!

The Desert Run is an off-road course between 15 and 20 miles long with 5 game playing stations along the way and the ½ waypoint has a porta-potty. You’ll encounter some rocks, sandy washes, hills and some extreme areas for the hardcore enthusiast. If you don’t feel comfortable with an obstacle, we’ll direct you to the easy way around. Our event is co-sponsored by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and held at Soggy Dry Lake in Johnson Valley, CA. Our event will have plenty of family fun at Base Camp and a course sure to please everyone. Over 450 vehicles participate annually, making the total attendance at approximately 1800 people. There will be a Balance Beam, Vehicle Articulation Ramp, Kids Games, Bounce House, Prize Drawings, Vendor Displays, Hot Food, 50/50 Drawing! This is not a race, so bring the whole family!!! 4X4, Motorcycles, Quads, Buggies and all other off road vehicles welcome!!!!!

WHO CAN ENTER?

Anyone who can legally drive his or her off-road vehicle in rough terrain. This is a family event and we encourage the whole family to participate. We offer a course designed to challenge everyone’s skills; whether it’s your first time out in your new sport utility or your hundredth in your reconditioned land rover, you’re sure to have a great time! We've included an easy way around tough obstacles. Entering allows you to play 5 different games and become eligible for the door prizes, given away after the event. This is a family event; not a race! So bring the kids and plan on a good time. Course length is between 20-30 miles through the desert, so be sure to bring plenty of water and gas for everyone in your vehicle.

FACILITIES

There is open camping permitted. We provide port-o-johns, a first aid station, a chuck wagon and a trash dumpster at Base Camp. Trash bags are included with your entry packet. Hot food and drinks will be available on Friday till 8PM, Saturday 6AM till 8PM & Sunday 6AM till 9AM at Base Camp. Its 15 miles to the nearest town so bring plenty of water, ice, food and gas!

DIRECTIONS TO THE DESERT RUN

Soggy Dry Lake is about halfway between Yucca Valley and Lucerne Valley off of SR247 (Old Women Springs Rd). Turn North onto Bessemer Mine Road and follow the signs to Base Camp. San Bernardino County Thomas Brothers Map pages 369 H7 or 4482 H5.

RULES & REGULATIONS

Motorcycles, quads, rails & ATV’s must have a current green or red Off-Road sticker. Helmets or seat belts must be worn at all times. No riding in the back of vehicles without proper restraints. Alcohol, firearms, or explosives (such as fireworks) are not allowed on the course. Pets must be on a leash at all times while at Base Camp. The speed limit is 10 MPH around Base Camp and all other campsites. Participants and campers must follow all BLM rules and regulations while on BLM land.

SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

Friday October 3rd

4 PM - 9 PM…Registration is open

4 PM - 8 PM…Vendor displays, T-shirt booth & food booth open

Saturday Oct. 4th

6 AM - 10 AM…Registration is open

6 AM - 8 PM…Chuck Wagon is open

7 AM…Driver’s Briefing at Base Camp stage

8 AM - 10 AM…Starting line is open

10 AM…Starting line closes. All vehicles must be on the course.

6 PM - 8 PM…Trophy Presentation and Prize Giveaway

8 PM…Entertainment at Base Camp

Sunday Oct. 5th

6 AM-9 AM…Chuck Wagon is open

9 AM…Base Camp cleanup & pack/load gear

HOW DO I ENTER?

You can enter at the Registration Booth at the event or save money by Pre-registering. Click Here for a Pre-registration Form. Print the brochure, fill out the form and mail a check or money order to:

Morongo Basin Search and Rescue
    P.O. Box 982
    Yucca Valley, CA 92286

PRE-REGISTRATION: $55 per playing card; minimum one card per vehicle.

*Check in at Base Camp to receive your packet. Check or money order must be mailed in by September 12, 2008 to receive the discount. Due to the volume of entries, confirmation notices will not be mailed out. However, you may contact us at 760-365-8185 or email us at mbsar_desertrun@yahoo.com to confirm your entry has been received. If you are paying for more than one entry, be sure to include everyone’s name on the registration form or download additional forms from our web site.

REGISTRATION AT THE EVENT: $60 per playing card; minimum one card per vehicle.
    *Check in at the Registration Booth at the times listed above.

WHERE DOES MY ENTRY MONEY GO?

Morongo Basin Search & Rescue is a non-profit volunteer organization with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Dept. The money is used to purchase new equipment and training for the unit.

©2006 Morongo Basin Search & Rescue | www.desertrun.org

Here is a link to the official web page for the eventhttp://www.desertrun.org/desert_run.html

Here is the Chuckwaggon menu, so you don't even need to bring food! Bring drinks, water and typical supplies you would want in the desert and you can suppor the Red Cross food chuckwaggon if you don't want to bring cooking gear.

DESERT RUN CHUCK WAGON MENU

Breakfast

Saturday ~ 6AM to 9AM

Sunday ~ 7AM to 10AM

Breakfast Plate…$8.00
    (Scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns and biscuits & gravy)

Eggs & Sausage Breakfast…$4.50
    (Scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns)

Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast...$4.00
    (Biscuits & gravy)

Drinks…$1.50
    (Bottled water, coffee, orange juice or soda)

Lunch/Dinner

Friday ~ 4PM to 8PM

Saturday ~ 11AM to 8PM

CPR Chili Bowl...$4.00
    (Chili, cheese & onions)

Hot Dog Plate...$2.50
    (1 hot dog, onions, pickle relish and chips)

Hamburger Plate...$4.00
    (1 hamburger, lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion and chips)

Cheeseburger Plate...$4.50
    (1 cheeseburger, lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion and chips)

Texas Straw Hat...$5.00
    (Nacho chips, chili, cheese and onions)

Corn Dog...$2.50

Drinks...$1.50
    (Bottled water, coffee, orange juice or soda)

©2006 Morongo Basin Search & Rescue | www.desertrun.org
    " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
    Rick W6RE

We will be on Ch 33 out there for those who want to connect. Just call for McGyver, Ranger or Scout. We are also on HAM 146.520 and sometimes FRS/GMRS UHF Ch 3 or if busy ch 5 when spotting with hand-helds.
    Rick W6RE

Comment

This is a great event! been go'n for years! And a great cause!..........AWESOME RAFFLE! I won an Premier underhood welder, one year!
      Snap'n axles for 20+ years!!

Comment

I just got my flyer in Joshua Tree while refueling at the Volero.
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I think I'll be going to this one. I've been wanting to go for years but something else always came up.
          '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

GPS Info MB SAR Base Camp

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
            I think I'll be going to this one. I've been wanting to go for years but something else always came up.
            Pete,
            This year they have moved it in from Bessemer Mine rd quite a bit for reasons of wind. I have the GPS Coordinates here:

MBSAR Run GPS COORDINATES Oct 3rd-5th 2008

Base camp & Checkpoint #5 poker run UTM
            11 S 0530748

Lat & Lon: 34*30'05.0"
            116*39'54.2"

Base Camp is the last checkpoint #5

This run is much more fun than going to that Pomona off-road expo. You actually get to use the stuff you've bought while keeping the wife happy cause you're not spending the entire bankroll on more stuff (even though we all need more stuff right?!?)

Anyhow, for those who care, we are once again on Ch 33 CB and we are also on HAM 146.520 Mhz simplex calling channel if anyones got a ham license.

See you all out there in the desert!
            Rick W6RE

Comment

I have no idea where any of that is, But I'll be out there looking for it!I know where soggy dry lake is, and I know where bessimer mine rd is, so I'll manage.
              It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

This is a great event and cause, I will be there for this one.
                4.0,4.56,D30 Aussie locked, D44 OX locked,35" Xterrains,8K MileMarker,CB,CO2 OBA,full weld in cage

Comment

Working...
                X