Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organized Event: Overland Training

I am a big fan of the Overland Journal magazine. Well, the founders of that magazine (who also run Expedition's West), have put together a new training opportunity called Overland University.

They are offering some very interesting courses in many different areas of off road adventures, from Photography, to Trailer handling, to Logistics, etc...

My wife and I are signed up for various classes. It is my goal to be Overland Certified. If you are interested in that program, there are two prerequisites, you must get your HAM license (I already have mine) and you must pass a Wilderness First Aid course. These courses are not offered very often. The next one closes to SoCal is NEXT WEEKEND in Pasadena. Check out this list here:
    http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/sche...wfa_wfr_recert

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Pardon the statement, but the Overland conspiracy is a gracious and EXPENSIVE organization to get into. The casual jeeper should not be offended but if money is no object great have at it.. I will commend them on the magazine it is very top notch, and wordly. but the prices they ask are just a bit beyond forgiving, not for the magazine but for the classes and trips. They pay for their trips with your money,, and it isn't reallym condusive to get involved in.

Comment

I agree that international overland trips are financially challenging. That's one of the many reasons they are so seldom done and so noteworthy when accomplished. Not sure what you mean by an organization. I think the "hobby" of Overlanding can be expensive. Depending on the quality of gear you choose to use, it can be darn right ridculous (ahem: Snowpeak!). But like any aspect of the off roading community, there are guys who spend under $5k rebuilding old rigs and using them, and there are guys who spend $50k - $100k building up the latest and greatest and never wheeling them. Everybody finds their own niche and pricepoint, and tailors their adventures accordingly. My family more frequently goes overlanding because it's so much cheaper than flying to Maui and kicking back at the Napili Kai Resort.

As for the Overland Consipiracy, I am somewhat speachless in response. Overland Journal/Expeditions West doesn't lead trips or offer them, other than for corporate gigs, like SportMobile, Toyota, Jeep, and so forth. For example, when Toyota put together their FJ Trail Teams, they picked their crews, then assembled trainers such as Bill Burke, Tim Scully, Scott Brady, etc... and those trainers gave the trail teams concentrated training before they set out on their national tours. I don't personally know if Tim & Scott were part of that exact example (I know Bill Burke was, because Toyota marketed it), but its and example of the sort of thing they do. For another example, when EarthRoamer wanted to test their new JK based rig, they hired Expeditions West (Scott Brady) to put the truck through it's paces on the Rubicon and elsewhere. Personally, I think its an awesome job. Sure beats sitting at a desk basking in the glare of a PC screen.

I know that Expeditions West does offer logistics support and trip planning services and so forth to individuals. I have used those services and found them valuable.

I also think guys like Tom Severin at Badlands Off Road Adventures offers great training programs. I got my TreadLightly Trainer certification through him, and many of the course he offers are certainly well advised for the novice off roader. I have seen too many close calls with uninformed, uneducated people on the trail doing stupid things because they didn't know any better. Training can only help the off road community's reputation, which in turn, reduces trail closures.
      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Well said,,,
        06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
        07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

I love to travel overland. It's great to be self contained and know that you have what it takes to get you from point a to point b. It's not for everyone but it sure is fun. I've been on a few expeditions and I never stop learning or seeing new things.

With that said, I don't think I would ever take an overland training course. I'm sure they teach you good things. Part of the fun for me is doing the research and planning. I guess to me its more about the adventure and if things don't go quite right, that just more stories to tell. I guess that's where you learn to prepare for anything!

Same reason I never understood Camp Jeep and stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
          X