Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Grapevine Cyn Area

What a super trip today! Attending was Chris124 with Misty riding shotgun with him and I. We met at High Rd & Hwy 18 in east Apple Valley, aired down and headed up through Grapevine Canyon. The weather was perfect today - about 85F at the top of the Canyon.

Whe we reaced the top, we turned on 3225 and headed to 3215 and took it north until in ends at a limestone prospecting site. As near as I can figure we were on the south side of North Peak. We had a fantastic view of Coxey meadow - Luna Mountain area all the way to Keller Peak. This area was heavily burned ten years ago in the Willow Fire, but even though all the big stands of trees are mostly gone, the area is recovering and looked really great.

I should mention that the trail markers at the intersection of 3225 & 3215 were knocked down, so we took a few minutes to put them back up. The ground was very rocky and we didn't do as good of a job as I would have liked. I need to try to remember to call the USFS and let them know that they aren't up very well.

From there we worked our way down to 3N17 and when we reached it, we headed towards Horse Springs Campround.

We met up with a large Toyota FJ Club that has just adoped 3N59A. It's nice to know that more and more off-road groups are adopting trails.

From Horse Springs, we worked our way over to 3N95 and on to 3N59. We had lunch at the end of the trail where it becomes 2W01. We had lunch at a grassy area under some nice trees.

After lunch we back-tracked to 3N59A and were following the large group of FJ owners. We had intended to follow the trail to Deep Creek but we didn't want to be stuck behind this big group the whole way. We decided to head down 3325 passsing through a Hippie encampment where these folks live in some sort of a commune - some living in VW Busses! Wow man, far out, groovy man!

From there we went N/E on Bowen Ranch Rd to 3330 which is the powerline road that runs all the way to Nevada. Off Powerline road, we stopped at "Little Tahiti" Which is a waterfall right on the Frontal Fault. It was just a trickle today but when the snow is melting or times of heavy rain it is a large waterfall. It's a beautiful setting of cottonwood trees and grapevines surrounded by desert!

From there we worked our way east driving up Lovelace Cyn (closed off with a locked gate) and the bottom side of Grapevine Canyon. When we arrived back at High Rd. and our circle was complete, we parted company and each headed off to home.

We did pick up some trash during our travels today.

This was a great stress-free trip and I think we all enjoyed ourselves.
    Last edited by Roger; 08-09-08, 09:57 PM.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Roger,
    come on man, pictures man, PICTURES! Oh, I forgot, stress free. Sorry...
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Roger,

Sounds like a great day. Glad it was relaxing and safe.

Mitch

Comment

Great report Roger. I think some needs a camera for Christmas.
        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
          Great report Roger. I think some needs a camera for Christmas.
          ... or someone neeeds to come up from Santa Ana or Hesperia and take great pictures! Even if their Jeep is down for repairs, I had an open right seat. . .
          MJR moderator
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

I'm almost done. I got a lot done this weekend. Mitch came by and were planning on doing Heartbreak as soon as I'm done. Hopefully you can make that run.
            Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
              I'm almost done. I got a lot done this weekend. Mitch came by and were planning on doing Heartbreak as soon as I'm done. Hopefully you can make that run.
              You Bet, I'd like to do it again, I know I can do better at that one little rough spot!

Mitch gave me the run-down on all that you are doing to your Jeep. What a project you are tackling!
              MJR moderator
              Jeep Patrol Leader
              Reforestation Supervisor
              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
              X