Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow,

All of the pictures have been awesome, but these tell the real tale! Nice trip, with great friends, having the time of your lives! What a great trip and many wonderful write-ups!

Thanks,

Maxwell, Mike and Sharron, Chuck and Alisha, and Kurt.

Wow, Wow, Wow!!!

Comment

Dusy/Ershim

Looks like you guys had a great time on the Duce! We opened the trail when we went up there on the 30th of June and removed downed trees blocking the trail on the North passage from White bark vista to Ershim Lake. We brought chain saws, axes & bow saws to do trail maintinance and we flipped the sign to "open" on the White bark vista Marque. Our group stayed at Lake Camp the 30th, On the 1st of July we stayed for two days at Ershim Lake and then made our way to Thompson Lake the 3rd. Stayed at Courtwright Res over the next two nights and wheeled out on Saturday the 5th for home. Only met up with one lone Jeep near East lake the whole trip coming the other direction. He was concerned the trail would be blocked North of Ershim Lake and was glad we cleared it because he didn't have any equipment to do so himself.

Before we opened the North end of the trail, we did Old Brewer Lake the 28th & 29th June because snow was too deep to pass thru on Swamp. The snow fields at the lake on Brewer were 20 ft or better and 3 or 4 feet deep still when we got up there on the afternoon of the 28th! (Kept our beer cool) Our group wheeled through the snow drifts and the boulder fields a the end of the trail right down to camp on the lake, it was great! Had the place pretty much to ourselves the first night.

We had a couple of repairs on two vehicles but nothing the Premiere Power welder and some bend-to-fit action couldn't fix. 6 Jeeps, 1 Bronco II and plenty of fish caught! Good times for all were had!

We are going up again over Labor day for 4 days and will wheel Swamp or Coyote/red mountain area, depending on how busy the U4WDC of California run goes...

Curious to note if any of you who ran this trail saw the NO SCOOTERS sign (looks like a Jeep trail sign but with a scooter on it instead) off the side of the trail? There's a story behind that but that's for another day....

BTW, "Oh $hit" rock is officially known as "Divorce Rock". FWIW

I had posted up when we ran it over the 4th on Schmo's post of running area trails over the holiday but nobody took us up on it from MJR.
      " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
      Rick W6RE

Comment

Credit where credit is due.

Just wanted to say thank you for such a great job maintaining the Dusy. Our group discussed the amount of commitment and effort that must go into the maintenance of this trail. I really appreciated the limited clearing of the felled trees... just enough to get the Jeep through. It seems like that idea was a theme that had been planned well in advance, and carried through the entire trail. It makes a lot of sense to me to keep things safely challenging and as close to nature as you can.

Never saw a "no scooter" sign but maybe some one else in our group did... what's that story?

If anyone finds a blue net bag containing two days worth very dirty clothes lemmee know. I am sure it will be found on the trail before East Lake. (Thanks)

Best, Max7
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Max7 View Post
          Just wanted to say thank you for such a great job maintaining the Dusy. Our group discussed the amount of commitment and effort that must go into the maintenance of this trail. I really appreciated the limited clearing of the felled trees... just enough to get the Jeep through. It seems like that idea was a theme that had been planned well in advance, and carried through the entire trail. It makes a lot of sense to me to keep things safely challenging and as close to nature as you can.

Never saw a "no scooter" sign but maybe some one else in our group did... what's that story?

If anyone finds a blue net bag containing two days worth very dirty clothes lemmee know. I am sure it will be found on the trail before East Lake. (Thanks)

Best, Max7
          I saw a couple of no scooter signs along the trail. And I second, third and fourth Max' comments about the condition of the trail. Absolutely fantastic. You guys do a Hell of a job keeping that trail pristine. I hope we did as much to help while we were there. Kudos to all of you! Oh, and if you find that bag of clothes, approach with extreme caution. The've been out there a while now
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Gas at Dinkey Creek?

Our Jeep club is headed for the Duzy next weekend. Does anyone know if there is gas at Dinkey Creek or is the last place Shaver? Also does anyone know if there is dry ice for sale in Shaver? How much gas did you guys burn on the Duzy? Thanks for any and all help.
            Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by bruce p View Post
              Our Jeep club is headed for the Duzy next weekend. Does anyone know if there is gas at Dinkey Creek or is the last place Shaver? Also does anyone know if there is dry ice for sale in Shaver? How much gas did you guys burn on the Duzy? Thanks for any and all help.
              Bruce
              I got gas for my spare can at Dinkey Creek. It was $5.39 per gallon! A couple of folks on the run have the stock gas tanks still and they made it through on a single tank of gas. We didn't stop for more until we got to Shaver Lake (and lower prices). I have an oversized tank and I didn't buy gas until I got to Bakersfield. Carburated engines will probably burn more fuel due to the thin air.
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by bruce p View Post
                Bruce
                I added five gallons the second night and still had a 1/4 tank... here's more in depth conversation pertaining to fuel on the Dusy Ershim. http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/ph...p?f=22&t=58753

Best, Max7
                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Max, if we see your bag we will grab it. Did it fall out or did you leave it at a campsite and do you have an approximate location?
                  Last edited by bruce p; 08-04-08, 07:35 AM.

Comment

That's my bag...

It just fell out some where shy of East Lake. Approach with caution.
                    Best, Max7

Comment

OK, we will look for the flies around East Lake.

Comment

I have seen the no scooter sign too. What is the story?

BTW great photo's and write up!

Comment

We just got back from the Dusy yesterday. What an absolutely amazing trail! The scenery is spectacular and the trail is everything you have heard and more.

If you decide to go, make sure that your rig is really, really ready. 33" tires, front/ rear lockers, lots of skids, good rockers and a winch are probably the minimum. Full size vehicles will have a tougher time. Our roof racks on TJ's worked ok, but we had to be very careful in places. Thompson Hill is a real butt kicker. Virtually every tree on the upper part has multiple winch scars on it.

With all that in mind, I'm ready to go again next year. Max, we kept an eye out for your clothes bag, but did not spot it.

Comment

Thanks for looking Bruce! Glad you had a good time!
                            Best, Max7

Comment

We got back yesterday. Had a great time.

Comment

Originally posted by fourbangeryj View Post

We got back yesterday. Had a great time.
                                Where is that sign- I missed it! And to think that could have been my new avatar ....

Comment

Working...
                                X