Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Bald Mountain

Trail Report – Bald Mountain

A small group of MJR folks met to run the Dusy Ershim Trail and it was an off-the-hook experience. I am sure that there will be a post about it soon (probably by me). In my anticipation and excitement of the run, Sharon and I went up a day early to explore the area around Shaver Lake.

I had heard a lot about the Bald Mountain Trail so I thought that it would be a good trail to run while waiting on the rest of the group to reach the meeting site for the Dusy.

The drive from Shaver Lake to the trailhead gave a great view of the destination. This is a zoomed in view of the peak that we were headed to from the paved road below:

The Bald Mtn trail is a loop. It is a climb to the peak and then an alternate run back down to where you started. The typical trail up has a lot of rock slab climbs. This is one example from over the hood:

The toughest part of the trail is a severely off-camber climb over rock ledges. You can tell by the trees how spooky this part can be:

Even so, Mr. Green made small work of it:

Bald Mountain has several cool granite (actually feldspar-rich) climbs:

And some nice forest treks:

But it all culminates in a climb to the abandoned fire watch tower at the peak of Bald Mountain (7832 feet above sea level):

There are great views overlooking Shaver Lake:

I especially like this view from the dilapidated tower:

Sharon found this to be a relaxing trip on our first trail into the Sierras:

All of our pics of this trail and the journey to it can be found at this Photobucket link:
    http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q...19-08/?start=0
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Very nice pictures.....

....a buddy of mine has a cabin near Dinkey Creek south of Shaver Lake. This is a really fun place to explore.......very nice report....
    John & Kristi

Comment

Hey Mike great report and awesome pictures! I gotta get back out there. Have not been out to Shaver in 25 years! (just camping). But need to take the heep out there. Glad you guys had a great time.

Comment

I gotta go!!! Thanks for always putting more destinations on my list
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
          I gotta go!!! Thanks for always putting more destinations on my list
          Joe there is rock slab climbs on this one.

Do we wanna attempt this again?

i would like to try this in the future as well. Look good. Let me know Schmo. Anytime after August.
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
            Joe there is rock slab climbs on this one.

Do we wanna attempt this again?

i would like to try this in the future as well. Look good. Let me know Schmo. Anytime after August.
            I'll just have to remember to air way down! That was freaky, but we made it
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

If you want a really fun trip, do the High Sierra Poker Run over Labor Day weekend. I will be leading the 2 day run over Swamp Lake. Check the cal4wheel web site for info. A super trail that parallels the Dusy. Just as beautiful but shorter.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

From what I've been told I will be taking the Bald Loop group. Its as described above in the OP. Most stock rigs will make this no problem. Russ Chung and I made this run last year at this event. He even went up V rock in his stock jeep. I chickened out due to being under geared with a D35 rear. Who knows maybe I'll try it this year even though I have not regeared yet. Either way it great fun.

Comment

Working...
                X