Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Best trail to run in the San B. Mtns.?

Need some advice, I have a friend named Mitch who is really getting into using his Jeep like a....Jeep. Anyway, what trail has it ALL up near Big Bear/ Arrowhead? Where you can ALMOST get into trouble?
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

I have been thinking about running Rattlesnake Canyon with Mitch up to Big Bear. It is not a difficult trail, but there are normally a few spots where you can have some fun.

I also think some of the side trails on Cleghorn would appeal to him, and soon he will want to run Pilot Rock up to Arrowhead.

At Big Bear, Holcomb Creek would be perfect for Mitch to run......but it is not open yet. I think he should get a bit more comfortable prior to John Bull or Dishpan/Deep Creek. Gold Mountain could be an option. You could run Rattlesnake up and then run over to Gold Mountain.

Let me know when you plan to go.......I have got to be there for this. I knew I created a monster by taking Mitch to Cougar Buttes.
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Brian,

I've done Rattlesnake Canyon 7 times and have done the small rock gardens the last couple of times. Next is Heartbreak Ridge in a couple of weeks with a small group when Chuck (Dirtman13) is back from Vacation. I've done Cleghorn several times and most of the side trails, saving the "wheel hangers" for a trip soon with Mike (Malaki). Dave is looking for something specifically in the mountains besides John Bull. We'll explore on Sunday and find something or maybe run Cleghorn and up through Arrowhead. I rode as passenger on 2N17x and Dishpan but that is out of my comfort factor at this point. Jacoby Canyon Friday night will be a nice adventure into night wheeling.

Mitch

Comment

Hey Mitch, let me know if something is going on Sunday evening. Leaving for a couple of turns to Portland, be back Sunday, Kevin.

Comment

Hey Mitch,
          You should try Gold mtn. It's a fun trail. My Jeep is no where near as capable as yours and I did it no problem. With any luck, I could go too!

Scott

Comment

The "Old Standard" back when I was club wheeling was Gold Mountain (3N69)run the "normal" direction (south to north. If he finds that "easy", turn left on 3N16 (west) at the bottom and run John Bull (3N10) east to west via 3N02 (Burnt Flats)If 3N69 was a bit much, turn right at 3N16 (east) and run Jacoby Canyon (3N61) out to Hwy 18, and then optionally Horsethief Flats (3N03A) enter off Hwy 18/3N03
            Jeff
            OHV76V
            KG6TY
            You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

I've only been on three trail rides since i put my lift and tire on my jeep, Cleghorn, 2N17X/Pilot Rock and Dishpan. Dishpan is my favorite trail. I think going East to West is best when you get to the "waterfall". Check out MRBash video on Dishpan springs to cleghorn trail report. It was a great day out in the mountains.

Comment

Jeff's "old standard" run would be a great run Mitch. Especially, the Jacoby Canyon back to Hwy 18 to make for a nice loop.
                Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

If you run Horsethief, bear in mind that the first part of the trail is NOT indicative of the whole trail
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

Mitch if you are comfortable running all the side trails on Cleghorn, and feel confident running Goldmountain then there is no reason that you can not run Dishpan or John Bull for that matter.
                    On Dishpan it seems like some of the boulders at the start disapeared ran it last weekend and the rocks at the west end of it looked far fewer than when I ran it in the beginning of may. Still a fun trail

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
                      If you run Horsethief, bear in mind that the first part of the trail is NOT indicative of the whole trail
                      I was on Horsethief on Saturday and it has some nasty ruts and off camber shelf sections. They have been getting a lot of rain on that trail.
                      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I've woken a few folks up on that trail
                        Jeff
                        OHV76V
                        KG6TY

Comment

Off topic question.....

...Old Fart, do you know George Ortega?
                          John & Kristi

Comment

Off topic answer....

Not that I know of - where would I know him from?
                            Jeff
                            OHV76V
                            KG6TY

Comment

Post highjacking.....

....He is in charge of some type of security at LAX, not sure what the AOA is but I just thought by chance, thanks for replying and sorry for highjacking the post.....
                              John & Kristi

Comment

Working...
                              X