Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: Big Bear

Tracy and I left Norco at 9:30am on Friday July 18. We had to stop by the Forest Supervisor's Office in San Bernardino and pick up a gate key for a trail maintenance day on Sunday. I am back in the SBNFA OHV Program and I'll have a gate key and a forest radio on any MJR trail maintenance days

We stopped at 1N38, dropped the Jeep, and headed up 1N38 heart Bar Peak. Back down to the truck for lunch. We made the trek 3 miles up Hwy 38 to Onyx Summit, left the truck and camper in the turnout, and took the Jeep down 1N01 Pipes Canyon. Back to Hwy 38 and into Big Bear. We ran 3N08 Delamar Mountain (4 trees down across the trail). We arrived at YP33 at 5pm. Dinner and in the rack before dark.

YP33

Saturday we were on the trail at 9am. We had a bit of time before we met Tim at John Bull so we headed for 3N07A to do some exploring. We found some old remnants of mines.

Mine on 3N07A

We really need to explore this area more. Lots to see and do.

We ran John Bull and we were on the last downhill section before reaching 3N32 when we came across oncoming traffic. The first group was the Capo Valley 4 Wheelers and they had about 12 rigs. We pulled over and let them pass. Right behind the Capo Valley group was a group of 12 or so with some tacos, some sami's, a 4runner and a full size blazer. We let the first 4 vehicles pass and then we waited.....and we waited....and we waited. The 4runner was having some linkage problems. We started making our way down to where the 4runner was broke and we let the other group know that once the 4runner was clear we were going down. Most of the group was sitting around drinking and told us to give it our best shot. Tim went first and I was close behind and we pushed our way down past the full size blazer much to the consternation of the party group. 2 sami's and 1 taco were blocking the trail while partying with the rest of the group watching the 4runner. As we were waiting for the idiots to return and move their vehicles we heard a crunch....The blazer had flopped.

It was a damn good thing we got below that blazer before he went over. Between the 4runner with broken linkage and flopping the blazer, the group had the trail blocked for over 2 hours.

Once we got around the sami's there was a group from Rubicon Owners of So Cal and below them was a group from Fun in the Sun and below them was another group. We picked our way through all that and finally reached 3N32 around 1:30pm. 3-1/2 hours on the trail with 2-1/2 hours to cover the last 1/4 mile.

We finished John Bull and took 3N02 up to Burnt Flats. Down 3N16 to the dump and down Hwy 18 to 3N03. We continued on to 3N03A Horsethief Flat. About 7/8 of the way down the hill we had smoke coming from under the hood. We had fried a ground wire and something else under the hood. We limped down to the bottom and took a good look under the hood. I couldn't fix what was broke. We limped back up, had a flat tire, fixed the flat and limped back into camp at 6pm. Dinner and a movie and in bed at 9pm.

We woke up Sunday morning to rain. The Jeep wouldn't start. We winched it onto the trailer and met the Ryan and Cathy at the Big Bear Ranger Station at 9:30am. We canceled the trail maintenance day and Tracy and I headed for Norco.
    Last edited by FishPOET; 07-21-08, 05:46 AM.
    Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

It's too bad there are still "wild asses" roaming those mountains...what happened to common sense?
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
      It's too bad there are still "wild asses" roaming those mountains...what happened to common sense?
      Also known as 'Jackai'(more than one jackass)

Hey FishPoet, great report.

Comment

Wow, sounds like a busy day. Sorry about the starting issue, have you diagnosed it yet? Thanks for sharing your story!
        If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
        X