Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Report: 3N61 / Jacoby Canyon at nite

So, last night I decided it would be a great nite for a ride, so took Lesa and my daughter Taylor on an inprompt to trail ride at about 8pm. We loaded a few things up (Sweatshirts, Blankets and Water) It was just me, so I didn't want to do anything too hard.
    I headed out Hwy 18 to Lucerne Valley, were we took Hwy 18 up to the 6000ft marker and stopped at the 3N61/Jacoby Canyon trail head to air down and unhook the swaybar. as we got underway the full moon came up over the hill and lit up the entire mountains, it was awesome! Of course my KC's helped too! We headed up the trail and it sure was alot different at nite. I've been on this trail about 20 times durring the day but never at nite. The first part of the trail seemed alot more rutted out and full of rocks than usual, then it smoothed out towards the top and was nice. It must have rained up there that afternoon becouse everything smelled nice and fresh. We ran into an abundance of bugs and a ton of Bull Frogs out trying to catch dinner along the trail. We would stop and let them pass and then continue on. About the middle of the trail there is a small turn out and there we found a rather large spider who had just cought dinner, (He was about the size of the palm of my hand all streched out and kinda looked like he had urban camo on) He was just hanging out in between two trees. I thought it was cool but the girls didn't share my entusiasum! We got too the top and turned onto 3N16/Holcomb Valley Rd. We took 3N16 to Big Pine Flats. Along the way we encountered more forgs than we could count... along with Owls, Birds (I think they call'em Chuckers?) Cotton tail Bunnies and Jack Rabbits. We then took 3N14/Coxy Truck Trail from Big Pine Flats back down into Aplpe Valley. It took about 5 hours to complete the loop and all in all it was alot of fun.

I recommend you all try this trail at nite if you haven't yet! It's a nice easy run and would be fun if there were a few more Jeeps as well! It did get cool up there so, if your in an open Jeep like I was you will need to bring Sweatshirts and a blanket or two for the passengers. I also recommend a camera.... which we forgot!!! The forest sure is alive at nite, and looks alot different! The girls had hoped to see a Deer or two or a Bear or maybe even Sasquach but not his time..... maybe on the next trip!

Anyone interested in running this trail at nite or at Dusk, I'd sure do it again! Just hit me up!

Here's more info on the trail!

Big Bear Area, Southern California

Begin: Little Bear Peak Highway 18: Enter the trail from HWY18 near the 6,000-foot mark.

End: 3N16

Length: 3 miles
    Time to complete: 1 hour

Jacoby Canyon Trail can be found in the San Bernardino National Forest near Big Bear Lake. The favored direction of travel is from North to South starting on Hwy 18. The Jacoby Canyon Trail is available to street legal vehicles only.

The US Forest Service rates this trail a blue square more difficult trail. There is one creek crossing near the middle of the trail that will put a squeeze on full size vehicles. Elevation ranges from 6000' to over 7200' and during the winter months snow and ice add to the difficulty of traversing the trail.

Northern entrance: Off Hwy 18 is N34° 19.035 W116° 48.916.
    Southern entrance: Off 3N16 is N34° 18.273 W116° 49.787.
    Last edited by avjeepfreek; 07-19-08, 02:23 PM.
    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Sounds like you had fun. Next time shoot me an email and I might just go with you being as how we are both in Apple Valley...MATT
    "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Oh Man! I sat home last night wishing I had something to do! You drove right past my house! I would have loved to go with you! I love that trail!

If anyone else gets a hair-brained idea like this, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

This would be perfect if some advance notice. Let us know a day before.

Mitch

Comment

Hey Scott, Glad that you and lesa had a great time! I also gotta do that trail at nite. I was up there two weeks ago with some friends, and from Jacoby, did G.M. and back down towards Baldwin. I was back up at G.M. yesterday also with some other guys. Keep us posted when you might go at nite again.

Comment

Sorry Guy's, like I said it was very spur of the moment.
            I would love to maybe set up a Dusk/Night run up there this friday nite 7/25/08 if anyone's interested! Maybe we could do Jacoby Canyon up to Gold Mountain and back down to Hwy 18. Or, just run the same run we did on Friday nite. There wasn't much wheelin after I got off 3N61! The ride back to Apple valley was relaxing but a little long. If any of you guys Knows a better way back down, I'm game! I'll post a feeler in the Trial Rides section!

-Scott
            "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Working...
            X