Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Run: Big Bear trail suggestions??!

A friend is coming out in a stock Jeep Commander and wants to run some trails in Big Bear on Saturday the 19th. I was thinking of the Gold Mountain trail...but not sure what else. I really enjoy the John Bull but not sure if a Commander could do it. My favorite (Holcomb) is gone...what would you guys suggest?? And of course anybody that wants to tag along is always welcome!

Thanks!!
    Built Not Bought
    1986 B2

How tough of a trail do you want?

I see you'd be coming from Barstow so here's a few suggestions:

There's Cleghorn, Fron I-15 to Lake Silverwood. You have side trails for the brave and the main trail for stockers

There's Grapevine Canyon, It winds up from Hwy 18 and you can cover all of the area between the ridge and Holcumb Valley.

There's Rattlesnake Canyon, that's always a good run from Hwy 247 to Baldwin Lake.
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

I up for any trail up there. However, I dont know how capable a Commander is and dont want him to tear the rig up. I figured Gold Mountain was pretty easy...looking for somewhere to go from there. Cleghorn would be too far from Barstow and my buddy is coming from Vegas. Im not familiar with the other trails you mentioned.
      Built Not Bought
      1986 B2

Comment

Originally posted by 59Bisquik View Post
        I up for any trail up there. However, I dont know how capable a Commander is and dont want him to tear the rig up. I figured Gold Mountain was pretty easy...looking for somewhere to go from there. Cleghorn would be too far from Barstow and my buddy is coming from Vegas. Im not familiar with the other trails you mentioned.
        Shay, if it was me I would take him up through Lucerne to the back way to big bear/cactus flats to Jacoby canyon (3N61) so he can get the feel of his rig and gain confidence and then run (3N69) Gold Mountain the easy way down to the Baldwin Lake side. If he lives in Vegas? Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers is a nice club. I have wheeled with them many times and they put on a nice event(HUMP AND BUMP) every year too...matt
        "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Be sure to take some pics . . . might be the first time a Commander has actually been in the dirt RattleSnake is pretty tame and offers up a bit of variety in both trail conditions and scenery as you climb up the mountain.
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

According to this it is trail rated. We need some pics please.

Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

I Agree!

Originally posted by matt2001tj View Post
              Shay, if it was me I would take him up through Lucerne to the back way to big bear/cactus flats to Jacoby canyon (3N61) so he can get the feel of his rig and gain confidence and then run (3N69) Gold Mountain the easy way down to the Baldwin Lake side....matt

I agree with Matt on this one, This is a great set of trails to get your "feet wet" on! If you get out on the trail early enough you can finnish in plenty of time to head into Big Bear later in the afternoon, check out the sites, eat dinner or whatever and then still make it back to Barstow before it gets real late! Have fun! Scott
              "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
                According to this it is trail rated. We need some pics please.

Anyone making lift kits for the commander yet?
                SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                MJR moderator
                MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                Jeep Patrol Leader
                Reforestation Supervisor
                Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                Eagle Scout

Comment

I thought they discontinued the commando
                  Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Working...