Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Discussion: Eastern Sierras - Rock Creek

Does anyone know of any easier 4wd trails around this area of the eastern sierras? Going up to do some fishing this weekend and would like to hit one or two. Thanks

I haven't driven any trails in the Rock Creek area, but if my research is correct, it is near Bishop, CA.

If this is right, the Northern California trail guide by Charles Wells shows several easy and moderate trails in the area. One moderate trail seems to be off of Rock Creek Road.

I hope that this helps.
    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by sandjunkie View Post
      Does anyone know of any easier 4wd trails around this area of the eastern sierras? Going up to do some fishing this weekend and would like to hit one or two. Thanks
      Where are you fishing? I have some killer "secret" fishing holes around Bishop. I'll be starting on the Western side of the Sierras and wind up in Bishop the week of July 20. Good luck, I hear the fish are being finicky this year.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
        Where are you fishing? I have some killer "secret" fishing holes around Bishop. I'll be starting on the Western side of the Sierras and wind up in Bishop the week of July 20. Good luck, I hear the fish are being finicky this year.
        I have heard the same thing. Fishing probably down on the Owens and mybe up at Rock Creek Lake. PM me the secret ones if you can. I can keep a secret

I will also be going back up on August 13th for 10 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
          I haven't driven any trails in the Rock Creek area, but if my research is correct, it is near Bishop, CA.

If this is right, the Northern California trail guide by Charles Wells shows several easy and moderate trails in the area. One moderate trail seems to be off of Rock Creek Road.

I hope that this helps.
          Thanks for looking it up for me. I will look for the one off Rock Creek Road. I have heard of Wheelers and Sand Canyon but don't know where the trail heads are.

Comment

I have heard the same thing. Fishing probably down on the Owens and mybe up at Rock Creek Lake. PM me the secret ones if you can. I can keep a secret

I will also be going back up on August 13th for 10 days.
            I'll do ya one better. We'll have to take a trip! If I could get work in Bishop I'd live there...

Comment

Thanks for looking it up for me. I will look for the one off Rock Creek Road. I have heard of Wheelers and Sand Canyon but don't know where the trail heads are.
              As I said, I haven't been there, but after further research, I can understand why you haven't seen the trailhead from Rock Creek Road. Apparently, the folks around Bishop are crafty at hiding things, or short on creative names.

Sand Canyon is near 'LOWER Rock Creek Road', as opposed to 'Rock Creek Road' that leads to Rock Creek Lake.

I am assuming that you will be coming from the south on 395. Just north of Bishop, the Charles Wells book says to: "get off Hwy 395 about 2 miles north of the turnoff for Rovana. Watch for a sign to Paradise on left. Go west 0.1 miles and turn right on Lower Rock Creek Rd. Drive north 6.7 miles and turn left at a sign to Swall Meadow. Head west on Swall Meadow Road (F.S. 4S39). After 0.6 miles, bear right on Sky Meadows Road. Go another 0.6 miles and turn right on unmarked, single-lane dirt road that passes through a small gravel pit."

I hope that it makes more sense when you are actually there. Wheeler Ridge is 7.5 miles into Sand Canyon. Turn left onto Wheeler Ridge Mine Road. It is about 6.3 miles to the end of the trail, but most folks stop after 3.1 miles at the overlook.

Good luck! I have found the Charles Wells directions to be very accurate. I look forward to your Pics from what ever area you end up at!
              [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
              Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Awesome!! Does it rate the trails as far as difficulty? Thanks Malachi. I will let you know how it turns out. Looks like I will also need to invest in that book.
                Last edited by sandjunkie; 07-10-08, 07:12 AM.

Comment

IF YOU NEED HELP IN THE BISHOP AREA, I'M SURE IF YOU CONTACT THE EASTERN SIERRA 4WD CLUB THEY WOULD LOVE TO JEEP WITH YOU. LAST TIME I WAS IN BISHOP I MET SOME OF THE MEMBERS AT THE BISHOP PIZZA FACTORY. GREAT GROUP. THEY HAVE A WEB SITE http://mammoth4x4.4t.com. JUST THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE THE INFO. GOOD LUCK

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                    I'll do ya one better. We'll have to take a trip! If I could get work in Bishop I'd live there...
                    Can I join!? I learned to fly fish in Hot Creek...Float tube in Crawley. I was up there 2 weeks ago, not off-roading though.

BTW, while climbing in Little Lakes Valley (very end of Rock Creek Road), I ran across some forest service guys doing an alpine lake survey. I'll tell ya which lake has the highest concentrations of natural browns!

Housing in Bishop is great right now. As described by a local to me, just about every block has a house for sale. Homes are 350K or better. I asked about work, as an EMT. I was told I'd be hired quickly (but we know how little EMT's get paid!) She said most EMT's work for the ambulance co. during the summer, and ski patrol in the winter. Hmmm..

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
                      Can I join!? I learned to fly fish in Hot Creek...Float tube in Crawley. I was up there 2 weeks ago, not off-roading though.

BTW, while climbing in Little Lakes Valley (very end of Rock Creek Road), I ran across some forest service guys doing an alpine lake survey. I'll tell ya which lake has the highest concentrations of natural browns!

Housing in Bishop is great right now. As described by a local to me, just about every block has a house for sale. Homes are 350K or better. I asked about work, as an EMT. I was told I'd be hired quickly (but we know how little EMT's get paid!) She said most EMT's work for the ambulance co. during the summer, and ski patrol in the winter. Hmmm..
                      Sound idealic. Where so I sign up? I may be able to tell you about the browns when I get done running the Dusy. I plan on spending five more days up there searching for the elusive... fish! Oh, and Hell yes SAR you're welcome to come along.

Comment

I used to live in Bishop know a lot of areas up there to wheel,check out coyote flats hike into thunder & lightning lake can,t miss will be going up there in fall when the fishing picks up and the skeeters have gone home

Comment

Laurel Lakes is also a doable trip with a stock 4x4. It's off of Sherwin Creek Road, just south of Mammoth.

Comment

I f you want some awsome views go up silver canyon out of Laws into the white mountains it will take you up to timberline and if you hit it right you will see some bighorn sheep

Comment

Thanks everybody. Heading out now!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X