Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Valley Wheelin - Help!

I'm finally taking some vacation time and am hoping to check out some new trails. I'll be heading north to spend some time with my folks up in Oakdale (outside of Modesto) and was hoping that I could hook up with some fellow jeepers and have them show me their neck of the woods I'll be in Oakdale for the 4th of July but am pretty flexible the rest of the time between 6/28 - 7/6. With gas prices the way they are, I figured I could head north, hopefully do some wheelin' and campin', end up in Oakdale, and hopefully do some more wheelin', and then make the trek back. Not looking for any trails too radical (ie: Rubicon), as I need to be able to make the 300 mile trek up and back:hide:

Anybody willing to Schow Schmo around???:dunno:
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

I'd be willing to hit up the Shaver Lake area or Huntington Lake area. We have, Bald Mt., Red Lake, Strawberry Lake, Coyote Lake and more. All are fun trails. We also have Swamp and the Dusy but those require camping and I probably would not be able to camp for those.
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Dusy/Ershim & Swamp Lake

Our little band of wheelers will be up on the Dusy/Ershim & Swamp Lake trails over the same period of time. We are leaving Friday 27th & back on the 6th. Will be stopping at the usual gas stop (Vons off of 168 in Clovis) and get the Cherry Lime Aid, dry ice and supplies as usual.

10 days on Swamp & Dusy/Ershim.... Doesn't get any better than that folks!

Rick OllllllO
      " [COLOR="DarkGreen"]Life-is-Good![/COLOR] "
      Rick W6RE

Comment

Originally posted by OllllllO View Post
        Our little band of wheelers will be up on the Dusy/Ershim & Swamp Lake trails over the same period of time. We are leaving Friday 27th & back on the 6th. Will be stopping at the usual gas stop (Vons off of 168 in Clovis) and get the Cherry Lime Aid, dry ice and supplies as usual.

10 days on Swamp & Dusy/Ershim.... Doesn't get any better than that folks!

Rick OllllllO
        I heard the Ershim won't be open until later in July. Did that change?
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

As of now, neither is open. They usually open around the 4th of July but witha ll the heat, they could open anytime.

Comment

I can't spend the whole time out there, but would love to check out some of the trails and maybe spend a couple of days out there. If you guys wouldn't mind me tagging along, let me know where I'd be able to hook up with you (I'll need some help as I'm totally unfamiliar with the area). BTW . . . what are the trials like up there?

Comment

Will be camping @ Shaver Lake July 2-6, never been before and need to hit some of the trails, would like to do Swamp Lake, but not looking for body scrapes what ya think!
              Solor Yellow LJ Rubicion 4.5 SF SA. Body armor bumpers, Sliders, Warn RC 9.0, CB,Intake, Edge TB and programer.35" X Terrains, Some additional cage work

Comment

Originally posted by luskie View Post
                Will be camping @ Shaver Lake July 2-6, never been before and need to hit some of the trails, would like to do Swamp Lake, but not looking for body scrapes what ya think!
                You aren't doing swamp then.

Comment

I'm in the same boat as luskie . . . I'm not looking for a fire road or something totally easy, but at the same time, am trying to avoid body damage and have way too many miles to drive that week to beat the hell out of my Jeep. What trails would you recommend that would be scenic and provide a bit of a challenge?

Anybody live up in the Oakdale, Modesto, or Sonora area that knows of some local spots up there?

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                    I'm in the same boat as luskie . . . I'm not looking for a fire road or something totally easy, but at the same time, am trying to avoid body damage and have way too many miles to drive that week to beat the hell out of my Jeep. What trails would you recommend that would be scenic and provide a bit of a challenge?

Anybody live up in the Oakdale, Modesto, or Sonora area that knows of some local spots up there?
                    Hey Joe! Pick up Charles Wells Northern California Trails book. It is a bit of a drive from Oakdale to any of the trails in the book, but the closest trails of interest are probably in Area 4 of the book. It is the area near Arnold, CA.
                    [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
                    Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
                    [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Malachi View Post
                      Hey Joe! Pick up Charles Wells Northern California Trails book. It is a bit of a drive from Oakdale to any of the trails in the book, but the closest trails of interest are probably in Area 4 of the book. It is the area near Arnold, CA.
                      Hey Mike!

I've got the Wells book and you are right, the trails listed are a bit of a trek, I don't mind too much . . . pretty much everything to the east of Oakdale (heading toward the Sierras/Yosemite) is beautiful . . . even when you're on the black stuff! I just want to get out while I'm up there and am still a bit hesitant to hit the trails alone:hide:

Comment

Ranger Station Campaign

What we are doing is making a phone call campaign where several of us are calling every day trying to get them to open these trails 1 week early. This way those of us with the week of Independence Day will be able to run the trail and enjoy it while we have the time off on vacation. If you can help with this, please call the USFS local office to the Shaver Lake Sierra National Forest Service office and request it to be opened this weekend.
                        Main Phone number in Clovis:
                        (559) 297-0706
                        Otherwise,

Some of us will be forced to go to the Rubicon and with gas this expensive, id rather do the Dusy instead....

Rick
                        Last edited by RangerRick; 06-20-08, 09:59 AM.
                        Rick W6RE

Comment

BTW: Here is a link to the sponsoring club:

http://home.comcast.net/~4wdc-fresno/trails.htm
                          Rick W6RE

Comment

If there is any snow on swamp, they will not open it up. If fresno 4wd club (trail crew) has not pre run it then they won't open it up.

Comment

Joe,

The Stanislaus National Forest has a LOT of 4x4 trails. When I was up there last year, I stopped by the district ranger station and I got several maps of the 4x4 trails. In the Calaveras Ranger District, there are a number of trails along Hwy 4 between Black Spring and Ebbetts Pass. In the Mi-Wuk Ranger District, there are a number of trails along Hwy 108 around Dodge Ridge. In the Summit Ranger District there is the Niagra Rim trail and several others near Sonora Pass. The Groveland Ranger District only lists one 4x4 trail, but it looked pretty interesting; it starts near Coulterville on Hwy 49 and goes down to and fords the north fork of the Merced River and reaches Hwy 140 at Briceburg. I've never run any of these trails, so I can't say how easy or difficult they are. It would be great if you could scout them out and give us some trail reports.
                              http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/stanislaus/index.shtml
                              Russ
                              If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                              KI6MLU

Comment

Working...
                              X