Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Big Circle

A nice 11 hour run today up and through the San Bernardino Mountains. I picked up Cindy and met Dave (flatpoint)and Dalene at 7:00am and headed for Rattlesnake Canyon. We aired down and hit the trail by 8:00am and just into the wash we saw a family of 6 free range cows including a baby calf. Very cool to see the animals! We missed the Brama Bull from last trip, maybe next time. As we cruised south up the canyon we found a nice intact old rock walled cabin right off the side of the trail. I've run this canyon like 7 times now and have never noticed this. Within a short drive from there we found a mine tunnel and some equipment foundations that I also had not ever seen. We both played at the Rock Garden for a while and continued. Next fun spot was finding a beautiful pink/orange colored rattlesnake on the trail drinking water out of the stream! This guy coiled once but never rattled. And went back to drinking and then crawled up the side of the wash into the roots of a tree and just watched us. Next we hit the old mining camp for a snack break and quick explore. Then we tried to go to the Farmington Observitory but the road was chained off. Next we headed west on 2N02 towards Big Bear and found the road blocked with a full size pickup that tore up a tire on the rocks. I shared my tire repair kit and 4 plugs to get it sealed up and a quick shot from the Vi-Air and good to go. We checked out the Rose Mine area and Dave cruised right up the narrow, loose rock, steep trail to the top. I fiqured he would have some trouble, but the Rubi made it look easy! Off to Bigbear for lunch and then we headed home via 2N09 (Pelogie Cyn) to 3N16 (Holcomb Valley) to 3N14 and north over the mountain to Apple Valley. The fire damage along 3N16 is amazing. Mile after mile of everything burned! We finally aired up in Apple Valley at 6:00am and went our ways.

Thanks, Cindy, Dave, and Dalene for a great day! Every trip I find something different that I missed be for. Good Times.

Mitch

Locals on the trail

Rock walled cabin

MR. Rattlesnake! (Rattlesnake Canyon?)

Rattlesnake drinking from the stream

Cindy checking out our new discovery

Looking out from the new mine

Not just a poser / Actually doing it!

Dave looks so happy!

Flexing at the Rose Mine area

Dave and Dalene cooling off

Fire damage / 3N16 Holcomb Valley
    Last edited by Mitch; 06-16-08, 09:46 AM.

Very Nice!

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

What about the GLORIOUS CLIMB???? Where is the VIDEO???? Do NOT denie me Mitch!!!!!! Great time!
      :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Here are some videos from todays run. The videos of Dave's climb don't show how steep and loose that narrow trail is. Also side note, according to the "Ca.Gov Fish and Game web site calls the rattler a "Red Diamond Rattlesnake" only found in California. I've never heard of that one before.

Mitch

Mitch at the Rock Garden

Dave at the Rock Garden

Dave going up the narrow trail

Dave coming down the trail / Very happy!

Comment

Chalk up another one Mitch.
          Looks like fun, and perfect weather too!

Scott

Comment

Wow! The Red Diamond rattler getting a drink has got to be one of the coolest things that I have heard of on the trails in SBNF. That is way cool. I'm sorry that I missed it, but I am loving the great pics.

Hey Mitch, nice line in the rock garden play area!
            [COLOR=#ff8c00]MYJEEP(crawls)ROCKS(again).com

I have finally stopped drinking for good.
            Now I drink for evil..... :devil:
            [/COLOR]

Comment

Very nice Mitch. That is a awesome shot of the snake. Wish I could have gone. Jeeps almost done.
              Check out .

Comment

What a grand adventure. Fabulous picture of the snake drinking! Now that busy season is over I'll have to start watching for more of your runs.
                Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

A couple of other photo's

Mitch

Mr free range cow!

below the old rock cabin

Check out the snakes tongue!

This is my house / Stay out!

Farmington Observitory in the distance

Check out the tongue!

This is my house!

Observitory

Comment

Keep 'em comming,(pics.), Mitch.

Comment

Hey Kurt (the snake charmer),

Do you agree with the snake ID, a Red Diamond Rattlesnake? Had you heard of this?

Mitch

Comment

Hey Mitch, Google "Red diamond rattlesnake".....interesting. A very large rattlesnake, known for it's mello disposition. He WAS a very nice snake, Mitch.

Comment

Thanks Dave,

After reading the articles, they describe it perfectly. It actually looked more reddish in person. And that was the most mellow rattlesnake I've ever seen!

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                          X