Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Bull Run 6/21/2008

Planning on running John Bull Trail on Saturday June 21, 2008. I have never wheeled this trail before so I will be going slow, taking my time along with plenty of video and photo shooting (if my camera man can make it :fingerscrossed:.

I have marked this trail as dificult because...well...let's get realistic...it's rated difficult.

Since Joining MJR I have learned that most of the wheelers on this site (if not all) have well modified jeeps and wheel through black diamond trails as if they are rated green. I'll be going slow on this run and just enjoying a good day of wheeling. I'm also very careful and not planning on breaking anything. If you would like to blow through the trail and not wait for anyone in front of you, then this run is not for you. If my camera guy comes along (which most likely he will), he will be taking plenty of phootage of everyone's rigs so that might slow the run down as well.

I'll post up exact meeting location later on as the dates get closer. But for now....who's wheeling through boulders with me?

[COLOR="Sienna"]UPDATE[/COLOR]

Meeting time is 9:00am at Big Bear Discovery Center
    1) We'll head east on hwy 18
    2) 3N69 - Left (Gold Mountain)
    3) 3N16 - Left
    4) 3N02 - Right
    5) 3N10 - Left (John Bull ~east to west~)

After John Bull if we're still hungry for crawling we can run 3N17 (white mountain)....White Mountain all depends on how we feel. Looking forward to a great day

Wheelin
    1-MrBash
    2-Dr. Dirty (I know you'll make it)
    3-jkpirate

Maybe's
    ryan37
    tjclay
    xtimmax
    tonym
    avjeepfreak
    justin502
    Last edited by MrBash; 06-13-08, 08:26 AM.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

I've run John Bull the last 2 weekends each time a different direction and the 2 jeeps with me had open diffs and we made it without much difficulty. I might be up to going again as its a really fun trail that doesn't take too long if you don't leave too early. The wife likes to sleep in a little.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
      I've run John Bull the last 2 weekends each time a different direction and the 2 jeeps with me had open diffs and we made it without much difficulty. I might be up to going again as its a really fun trail that doesn't take too long if you don't leave too early. The wife likes to sleep in a little.
      I think 10am at trailhead is a good time.

Comment

I'll let you know as it gets closer.

Comment

I'm gonna try to make this.

Comment

I really want to join you, but I'm not 100% sure as of now. I'll be on the trail this Fri, Sat & sun. But I'll let you by PM. Btw, been through there with open rigs we all made it through. Just less work with a locker.

Comment

Hey Guy's, I'd love to try and make this one too! I've done the first part of this trail but, never done the last half. I've got open diff's and I'm not opposed to going slow!!! Also, just a suggestion, Gold Mountain is nice Moderate trail and is a great starter trail that leads right into John Bull if you all are interested in starting there. It starts right off of Hwy 18/Northshore Dr. in Big Bear.
              Last edited by avjeepfreek; 06-12-08, 01:29 PM.
              "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

I have yet to do that trail, and am like you do not really wanna damage my rig too bad( daily driver) but if I make my rock sliders by then I would go with ya.

Comment

Wheelin
                  1-MrBash
                  3-jkpirate

Maybe's
                  ryan37
                  tjclay
                  xtimmax
                  tonym
                  avjeepfreak
                  justin502

If anyone else is for sure just add your name to the list.

Comment

FYI, There is a group of cycles running Gold Mtn that day but not sure where they will be running too afterward. Just leeting you know you might run into their group on the trails.
                    Also, The LOST JEEPS club is hosting our annual BB weekend event up there and will be heading to both Gold Mtn and John Bull on Sat around the 10am time frame in case you want to get a little bit of a head start on us.

Comment

Please check my first post for the update...:thumbs_up

Comment

Just info, According to Desert Jewel (Posted in the Big Bear Forest Fest XI thread, 2nd page) 3N17/White Mountain is still closed, from the fire closures.
                        "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

UPDATE

Wheelin
                          1-MrBash
                          3-jkpirate
                          4-Overton001

Maybe's
                          ryan37
                          tjclay
                          xtimmax
                          tonym
                          avjeepfreak
                          justin502
                          fatboy1251
                          BYU JK

Comment

I think I read that you were going to meet at 9am at the discovery center, then 10am at John Bull after running Gold Mountain. If that's the plan, it needs tinkering a bit.

Gold Mountain is only 15 minutes away from the Discover Center, but it will take you more than an hour to run, it will take more like 2 hours IMHO. It takes another half hour to get to the gatekeeper at John Bull after Gold Mountain.

John Bull can definitely be done without lockers, and without sliders, but I recommend a nice solid rear bumper. There are a few drops on the backside of certain rocks that it's most assured you will touch a bumper here and there.

Recent photos of both trails here:
                            http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=71

Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                            Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                            HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
                              I think I read that you were going to meet at 9am at the discovery center, then 10am at John Bull after running Gold Mountain. If that's the plan, it needs tinkering a bit.

Gold Mountain is only 15 minutes away from the Discover Center, but it will take you more than an hour to run, it will take more like 2 hours IMHO. It takes another half hour to get to the gatekeeper at John Bull after Gold Mountain.

John Bull can definitely be done without lockers, and without sliders, but I recommend a nice solid rear bumper. There are a few drops on the backside of certain rocks that it's most assured you will touch a bumper here and there.

Recent photos of both trails here:
                              http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=71

Disregard the 10am time notice. That time was before the meeting time and place were finalized. We're meeting at 9:00am at the Discovery center and will probably get moving by 9:20 towards Gold Mountain. There will be 3 JK's wheeling with us through gold mountain and john Bull. There is another group of JK's wheeling through Gold Mountain and then splitting to another trail afterwards. looking forward to a good day of wheeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X