Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattlesnake last minute

I did an exploring trip today with Dave (flatpoint)up Rattlesnake Canyon. I did not post a regular trip due to the seach and find nature of this trip. We met at the Mobile Station in Apple Valley @ 7:00am and cruised to the turn off to air down. We drove up Rattlesnake Canyon to the trail to the "Two Hole Mine" Area and did the 1/2 mile hike to the mines. Next we went to the mining camp that FishPoet originally posted last year year. I checked my Topo's, Google Earth, and my GPS and easily found it this time. After exploring the several buildings and many pieces of equipment, we went in search of the mines that would have supported this awesome mining camp. As my research worked out, we drove a series of trails within a 1/2 of the camp to the mine tunnel. We checked out the mine tunnel and found a cool little bat hanging from the ceiling half way through. We next back tracked to the main trail and connected with 2N02 and went west towards Big Bear. We did some exploring around the "Rose Mine" area and found a couple of neat mines including a 400 foot mine tunnel on the hill as well as several Vertical shafts. We then left for Holcomb Lake to air up and drive home. Another perfect weather, Blue sky day. The different terrains we saw was awesome. Sandwash, tight Canyons, Some Crawler area's, scrub to Joshua's to pines, flat to hill's to fire roads...

Thanks Dave and Dalene for the wandering and exploring. Let me know when anyone wants to do this trail. I'm ready and there are many sights to see.

Mitch

Rattlesnake "Gate Keeper"

Two Hole Mine

Dave and Dalene / Rattlesnake Canyon

Yes I did the Rock garden area!

Some posing now that I have a photo man

Dave at the mining camp

Mine tunnel for the mining camp?

Baby bat hanging in the mine

"Bat Cave" Rose Mine area

"Rose Mine" tunnel 400 feet deep

Air time / Holcomb Lake area

Mitch, what's with the quickies and last minute runs? I think you need help. You have an addiction. Great pics and report. Nice to see they did a better job on the bat cave gate. That should keep the schmucks out.
    Check out .

Comment

Chuck,

You guy's with wives and families always seem to be busy (Good Thing!). We just stopped and checked out things over and over. It would have slowed a group down big time. Last trip with you we drove right by the trail to the mining camp mine. I'll send a GPS. Heart Break was so tempting, just not enough time, plus need a leader through there.

Ready to Wheel!!!!

Mitch

Comment

Mitch,
        Sounds like you're about ready to try John Bull.
        We were there today and you're right the weather was awesome.

Comment

The BEST day I have ever had wheeling and exploring, Mitch. Thank you.Even though you denied me MY CLIMB.......I'm thinking of going back tonight......IT WILL BE MINE!
          :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Comment

Hey Dave . . . who makes that front bumper on your Rubi??? Looks good!
            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Happy Times ::thumbs_up ! Great88 PM Sent.

Nice photos thanks for posting.

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

Comment

Schmo, its an LOD bumper, price is right, no probs as of yet, easy install, easy winch install (mile marker hydro)

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                  Ready to Wheel!!!!
                  I will be soon. I'm changing jobs and the Jeep is getting some upgrades. I might be out for a couple of weeks.
                  Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
                    Schmo, its an LOD bumper, price is right, no probs as of yet, easy install, easy winch install (mile marker hydro)
                    Looks good . . . I'll have to check them out . . . I've got the RockHard in the back and so far really like it, but am not sold on their front bumper.

I thought HYDROs were for ships!!! :dunno:
                    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Well, my Rubi feels like a tuna boat on the street....

Comment

Hey Dave,

I've heard that "Hydraulic Winches" are great for hauling in tuna nets, you are so in there..... Thanks again for the awesome trip up Rattlesnake.

Mitch

Comment

Gee, how did I know you would chime in on the Hydro winch thing? Mitch,Im having trouble lighting my barbique, think you could swing by and winch somthing next to the pilot light?

Comment

Come on Dave,

I'd help you with your bar-b-que. I could pull the wood towards your pilot lite and with my electric winch, I wouldn't even have to start my engine to help you out!. What are friends for.

Mitch

Comment

Where can I find GPS coords to the mining camp? I went on the run last month with Roger & co, but forgot to waypoint it. Doh! My Land Rover club is going to be running Rattlesnake and Heartbreak Ridge on the 21st, and I thought that would be a nice lunch stop along the way.
                              Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                              Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                              HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Working...
                              X